Braided front brake line info

• Member Contributer

I have always used Spiegler brake lines on my bikes, but they don't have a set that copy's the stock arraignment. Their set use's 2 hoses from the master down and I would like a set that routes the way the stock stuff does. Is the a manufacturer that does a bolt on set or do they need to be made up out of parts?

• Member Contributer

Probably done that way for cost reasons. Much, much fewer fittings than replicating factory set-up.

There's this kit that looks similar to stock routing. But it appears to do the split at one of calipers.

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/frentubo-kit-brake-hose-aeronautical-braided-classic-type-for-honda-vfr750f-19901993-p-116722.html

• Member Contributer

Spiegler is in my back yard and they will build brake lines to any way you want if you give them measurements and spec out what fittings you want.  Of course, the more hoses, the more cost... I have learned from experience that copying the exact OEM routing may not be the best way to go. 

• Member Contributer

I have seen pictures and videos of stainless lines that are routed the stock way and didn't know if they were a manufactured setup or a custom done lines set. I may give Spiegler a call and talk to them about a custom line set.

• Member Contributer

It's partly about cost, but also ease of maintenance.  There are fewer places for bubbles to get trapped in a two-line setup. 

But once you price-up the additional stainless steel fittings you would need to buy to do an OEM-like three-line setup you will probably change your mind.  (You could use plated steel fittings on your stainless steel brake lines, but it wouldn't be that much cheaper.)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

With a 2 line setup the pieces aren't there to mount the hose for the right caliper and I don't like the look of 2 lines attaching at the master as they won't fit in the protective boot. I'm just a little weird about some things I guess. I can't see any issues with bleeding the system the way it is, but those setups that loop over the fender from one caliper to the other could be a big pain.

• Member Contributer

I've had custom lines made up to mirror my OEM lines.  Years ago I had Galfer make up a set for my 90 VFR.  Pretty close but not a total copy. No issues since 1996.  In 2012 I had Galfer make up a set again for my 900RR and they were a little hard to bleed but again no issues once that was done.  In 2018 I had a custom set of Spiegler lines made up for my 06 RC51 and that were slightly longer to attach to Brembo radial calipers and these were perfect exact copies including the rubber bushings around the lines so everything is routed 100% like the stock lines were.  I would recommend Spiegler custom lines 100%.  They cost more but are WELL WORTH IT.  Being a Spiegler dealer myself doesn't hurt either.

Nick

Owner of: www.SuperbikeRevolution.com

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, jefferson said:

I think I'll put in a call to Spiegler and see whats involved.

You can go on their site and they have templates you can use to get a quote on what the lines will cost you.  keep a copy of the quote if you can and if it's too high, I may be able to save you a few bucks by going through my company.  

Your choice but I'm glad you're going with Spiegler.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's been a bit since you posted, but if you are still looking for new lines check out CoreMoto. They will make any combination you want. I used front brake line mounts from a 2003 cb900 to properly hold the stainless lines on my 94, may work for you.

Archived