Just curious, so when does you riding season typically end

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I typically stop riding when the snow stays on the ground or the first time they salt the roads, whichever comes first. I don't ride again in the spring until the first Biblical grade rainstorm has washed the brine away.

My understanding (possibly incorrect) is that salt isn't much use below -7 degC. I recall a friend from Winnipeg saying they sand the roads out there because it is too cold for salt to work well for much of the winter.

3 hours ago, vikingGoalie said:

i almost bought one of those, I *love* the eddie lawson colors.  How does riding your ZRX compare to the vfr?

Love rex, I have it for 20 years now. Rex is an old school UJM bike with its pros and cons. Fueling is great, as long as carbs are clean and it has big bore power. I would use it normally to go about town, bike has great storage under the seat. It is also great on unpaved roads with its central upright seating position.

It is not well suited though for high speed cruise, expressway or long distance. Wind gets quite annoying. Even with upgrades I did to it with Nissin calipers, brakes are still old school at high speed.

20210303-142838.jpg

22 hours ago, Magneto said:

Love rex, I have it for 20 years now. Rex is an old school UJM bike with its pros and cons. Fueling is great, as long as carbs are clean and it has big bore power. I would use it normally to go about town, bike has great storage under the seat. It is also great on unpaved roads with its central upright seating position.

It is not well suited though for high speed cruise, expressway or long distance. Wind gets quite annoying. Even with upgrades I did to it with Nissin calipers, brakes are still old school at high speed.

thx for the info.  Not my first bike, but the first bike I really loved was a '83 KZ1000J.  I rode the piss out of that bike, did a couple 1000 mile rides on it,  straight through mind you.  (a lot dumber and younger then)  so have a soft spot for the old inline 4 kaws

Good bikes for sure, I am looking at KZ with Arata titanium exhaust and it is like wow looking bike. I wouldn’t mind building one like that some day. 

Funny thing I rode sketchy and obscure bikes by today standard but there was just no other stuff available back in the day. Nowadays big city expressways become crazy, I need all the good stuff on a bike to play and survive dodgeball.

• Member Contributer
On 2/21/2021 at 4:56 AM, Magneto said:

It is truly nasty stuff. Main selling point is to avoid collisions yet winter tires or winter driving courses are not mandatory in US. In effect they simply cant drive on white road. 

Studded tires and chains used to be the norm when I was a kid.  Studded tires are illegal in many areas now.  I don't even know if they are still sold.  It's not like they will damage the roads any worse than a ham fisted snow plow or grader driver.   Some areas have started  using beet juice as an alternative to salt.  Our area uses rock salt, brine (regular NaCl solution), and to a lesser extent, calcium chloride solution. 

We have tended to get ice "storms" more than snow the last 20 years or so, but this year we had a nice 8" covering of snow like we used to get when I was a kid.  It is super easy to drive on compared to our ice storms.  Then they salt the packed down snow with temps dropping to the teens and single digits. It freezes back into an ice sheet making it slicker than owl sheeet.  It would make a Zamboni driver proud.  🤬

Archived