Just curious, so when does you riding season typically end

• Member Contributer

I'm fortunate enough to live in a very temperate climate, a cold winter's day is 5C and a hot summer day is 28C; we do get our fair share of rain however. So I ride year round, and just pick my days as while I don't mind riding in the rain, I enjoy dry roads a whole lot more. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My riding season ended a few weeks ago, really, but I did my last ride of the year yesterday, just my short commute to work and back.  The weather here was warm.  If I'd had the day off I'd have tried to ride the last couple hundred miles to reach 12,000 for the year.  Oh well.  Now the bike will take turns slumbering and getting mods installed.  🙂

• Member Contributer

Temps here the past 2 days have been just below freezing.  Although rain, cold weather, fog and reduced visibility usually end things in October, once there is frost about with the chance of icy patches on the road,  riding becomes out of the question. 

• Member Contributer

Still riding, despite...

20201225_105843.thumb.jpg.9a76e668844811abacdd8c186500325e.jpg

20201225_113400.thumb.jpg.2ccffd44fb006ab1a83e564e125e8560.jpg

So went for a stroll with my family first..

But around noon...

859518259_16088970953327139169139241823216(1).thumb.jpg.31b52000e5f8fc7a3eafe2fee7561797.jpg

20201225_124047.thumb.jpg.87d05b0cd4f7f12a8ea62fad2012049e.jpg

20201225_132452.thumb.jpg.586e42e2a40b2b108b98406fa3ab9642.jpg

No worries thanks to acf50

20201225_134529.thumb.jpg.492bfdf39b295782fd5b5c30571bf29a.jpg

ok i admit i have an eye on the weather report every week.    I see tomorrow might be 44, no wind, sunny.  There's a chance i bust the bike out of the cocoon then, but monday is supposed to have a north of 50 day, and if it's not raining I'm riding then i'm also off that day, if the weather is agreeable might have to go on a short trip.

Take that old man winter...

Ok despite the earlier rumor, er post,  that I was probably done for the winter.  I said screw it's 39 out can't be that cold and went and did some minor errands on the vfr.  I think she appreciated it greatly.  Of course while running to get my wife a few things I had to blow some carbon out,  I mean carbon build is bad for the engine right?

Wasn't much riding around, maybe 15 miles in total but my gear is fine, layers is a lesson i learned many moons ago.  I do have heated grips but didn't even bother with them nothing was extended long enough for me to worry with it.

In my previous riding life I never would have ridden when it's this temperature,  I blame my VFR it told me to take her out...  😛

So just gear wise thing.   I'm wearing not very expensive gear.

but a pair of jeans with these over them: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Dualsport-Waterproof-All-Weather-Waist36-38/dp/B07LGXZLG5

I have an insulated high top pair of redwing boots.  (working on getting purpose built motorcycle boots, but these are 100% leather, super comfy and warm and waterproof and come 3-4" above my ankle bone)

I layer the top, thin long sleeve t-shirt, thin sweatshirt/hoodie and this jacket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XV4ZYLC/

I just have leather gloves with armour on them, I do have heated grips but don't really use them much tbh.

with that setup, I find that my lower half is completely impervious to wind up through triple digits down to into the upper 30's.  The jacket is not really a winter jacket even though it says it is.  I get a slight amount of cold at the zipper, (in the 30's at triple digits) but I did about 90 miles yesterday in total and was not cold at all it was around 45F here.   Now would i go cross country in this gear at those temp's  maybe not I would like to try a longer trip to see how I feel about it.    This gear is in the category of best bang for the buck.  So of course there's better suited gear for more $$$.  YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

I rode to work today.  52 and sunny.  Went on a short ride Sunday because it was about 50 and sunny as well.  With how much grey overcast rainy weather we get here, you really need to take advantage of the nice winter days when they happen.  I've never bothered to winterize my bike because usually I'm able to ride about once a week comfortably (i.e. no rain or freezing temps).  I'm actually surprised I don't see more motorcycles out in the winter here because of how mild our "winter" is.  I guess people just really really don't like riding in the rain.

Personally, I think the VFR is a great winter motorcycle.  With how hot the bike gets it has no problem keeping itself warm at high speed, and at stop lights the radiators double as convenient hand warmers.  Also the frame section near the rear cylinder bank gets quite warm so you can use that as well.

9 hours ago, comradeQuestion said:

Personally, I think the VFR is a great winter motorcycle.  With how hot the bike gets it has no problem keeping itself warm at high speed, and at stop lights the radiators double as convenient hand warmers.  Also the frame section near the rear cylinder bank gets quite warm so you can use that as well.

I agree, the VFR is a good winter bike.  Since moving to a naked bike, I can definitely tell a difference riding in colder weather.  The VFR's fairings and stock windshield were great at blocking some of the wind, and I could always tuck my feet in tight to the sides to help warm my ankles a bit.  None of that is true with my new bike.  I did just order a small windshield, more of a flyscreen really, but it will keep some of the wind blast off my chest at higher speeds.  At least the new machine has heated grips, which work well.  I should have added those to my old VFR years ago!

Tomorrow it's supposed to reach 50 so I'll be taking a short ride hopefully in the sunshine. 

50F is the lower threshold for riding imho.

40-50; Ride only for an emergency ( car has a burned out clutch ) or I need to ride into the shop for new tires.

50-60; Not really comfortable but acceptable especially in the winter. You take what you can get...

61-65; Getting better...

66-89; The sweet spot. Temperature is not the limiting factor.

90+; Humidity dependent but, for the most part the fun is gone and you're trying to find air conditioning and a cold beverage.

ok, i'm such a liar.  Either that or my VFR is a foul temptress,  you decide...

so I'm not doing any real trips per se.  But any excuse i have to run an errand or do a short outing,  if it's not brutal cold out the VFR is getting busted out.

Today my wife called and had forgotten her wallet  and was at the grocery store, of course I had to come riding on my steed to rescue my damsel in distress 😄  oh and then had to put a a few (er 20) miles on my bike before I went home.   Perhaps I've just missed riding that much, but I'm truely hooked once more and don't mind that a bit.

oh it was a balmy 39F when i ran out today....

8 hours ago, vikingGoalie said:

ok, i'm such a liar.  Either that or my VFR is a foul temptress,  you decide...

so I'm not doing any real trips per se.  But any excuse i have to run an errand or do a short outing,  if it's not brutal cold out the VFR is getting busted out.

Today my wife called and had forgotten her wallet  and was at the grocery store, of course I had to come riding on my steed to rescue my damsel in distress 😄  oh and then had to put a a few (er 20) miles on my bike before I went home.   Perhaps I've just missed riding that much, but I'm truely hooked once more and don't mind that a bit.

oh it was a balmy 39F when i ran out today....

I know what you mean.  I check the weather forecast every couple days, thinking maybe it'll be warm enough one day to at least ride to work.  I work from home most of the time, but have a short commute to the office, and if it's warm enough I'll head in on the bike even if I don't need to work at the office that day.

It's supposed to get up to 40 here the next couple days, and that's my threshold.  Fingers crossed!  😉 

• Member Contributer

Well... it didn't get as cold here as previous winters, staying 45-55F most days. And rain hasn't been as continuous as predicted (always seems to be case). So went out for ride out to coast to Point Reyes Lighthouse last weekend via Mt. Tam.

uc?export=download&id=12owZqHFePbciQCpd4

uc?export=download&id=1PXY4GslN6AHckNPEr

uc?export=download&id=1moo8qLICvmJVPPjqg

Didn't make it down to lighthouse though... too many steps to crawl back up!

• Member Contributer

It used to be that my riding seasons didn't end.  They would get interrupted by salted roads and begin again when enough rain cleaned the roads of the salt. I used to ride every weekend that weather permitted.  I have never desired to ride in the rain, especially in the winter.  Now that I'm older, riding in the cold is much less comfortable, and I'm also way busier than I used to be.  With age comes responsibility.  I still get out and ride every now and then throughout the winter, but it may only be a handful of times before spring instead of every possible weekend.  I'm in TN and we have a little snow on the ground now, so we do get some winter weather.  

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/13/2021 at 3:58 AM, tbzep said:

It used to be that my riding seasons didn't end.  They would get interrupted by salted roads and begin again when enough rain cleaned the roads of the salt.

Hey American and European amigos. Please enlighten me regards Salt on roads!

I know its used to dissipate or dissolve the snow BUT bloody hell, is it like washing your bike with sea water? Doesn't all this salt end up in storm water which ends up in streams and rivers? Does it have an environmental impact on fish and other water animals? Sounds like nasty stuff to be smothering your fine machinery in!

As you can tell, I've never experienced it. Salt is only ever on my fish and chips!

Cheers.

Yes, IT IS A MESS! When I lived in the north east thirty years ago, a lot of people would drive old beaters because a new car would rust through in about four years. When they wanted to travel, they would rent a car. I have had people tell me that the trout fishing in NC has about gone away because of all of the runoff from the roads. The stuff gets everywhere when you ride or drive through it.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Sweeper said:

Yes, IT IS A MESS! When I lived in the north east thirty years ago, a lot of people would drive old beaters because a new car would rust through in about four years. When they wanted to travel, they would rent a car. I have had people tell me that the trout fishing in NC has about gone away because of all of the runoff from the roads. The stuff gets everywhere when you ride or drive through it.

Yuk! Do the benefits really outweigh the cost to the environment etc, and heaven forbid......a rusted out VFR? :ohmy:

IMG_0328.JPG

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Grum said:

Yuk! Do the benefits really outweigh the cost to the environment etc, and heaven forbid......a rusted out VFR? :ohmy:

IMG_0328.JPG

I don't believe it's an exaggeration to say that the benefits are that people are able to survive winters there.  In many of those states, it's about the only way they can keep the roads open so that food / supplies / fuel can be delivered and commerce can continue. In the upper midwest of the U.S., ice on the roads can freeze as hard as rock and be simply unplowable.  In Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, Michigan and many other states- the temps can be below freezing for extended periods, freezing over both rivers and lakes solid enough to ice skate or even drive on.  Keeping roads open is for many communities a matter of necessity.  It's one of those things you have to experience.  I've never been so cold in my life as in Michigan in January. 

The funny thing is when people from those states come west they often marvel at the "old cars" (aka ones over about 5 years old).  I've seen cars in the midwest that you could literally see through - the holes in the panels were so big.  Corrosion protection on cars has gotten better over the years, but nothing is immune to it   I know one person that has a winter car and a summer car to avoid the corrosion the salt causes.  It will even get under powdercoat and cause it to fail and peel.    The wrap on that bike isn't much of an exaggeration of what salt can do. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Grum said:

I know its used to dissipate or dissolve the snow BUT bloody hell, is it like washing your bike with sea water? Doesn't all this salt end up in storm water which ends up in streams and rivers? Does it have an environmental impact on fish and other water animals? Sounds like nasty stuff to be smothering your fine machinery in!

As you can tell, I've never experienced it. Salt is only ever on my fish and chips!

Cheers.

A necessary evil, sadly.

I do ride through the winter but I'm usually stumped at some point as they don't de-ice the roads near to my house, only the main road through the village. Even if I can get out of the village, other roads may have had some preventative salt spread and that washes all over the bike. They even add molasses to the salt over here to help control the spreading and this conversely seems to make the road surface slippier and it lasts for weeks requiring lots of rain to wash it off the surface.

The bike has to have regular washes during the winter, cos if it's left, it just furrs up and starts marking the metals as the corrosion starts. Like most others, I use ACF-50 and FS365 after each wash to lay a preventative coating but it can't be used on wheels and brakes so they do tend to deteriorate first if not washed well.

I do envy people who live in areas of the world where it does not freeze. Of those, I then hate them if they have good biking roads. I hate them even more when they post pictures of their bikes, in the winter, on warm, dry roads.  🤬  :wink:

As we're having a bit of a heatwave here atm (15 deg C/59 F) this week, I shall be taking the 1200 to work for her first spin of the season.  :beer:

9 hours ago, Grum said:

Hey

American and European amigos. Please enlighten me regards Salt on roads!

I know its used to dissipate or dissolve the snow BUT bloody hell, is it like washing your bike with sea water? Doesn't all this salt end up in storm water which ends up in streams and rivers? Does it have an environmental impact on fish and other water animals? Sounds like nasty stuff to be smothering your fine machinery in!...

It is truly nasty stuff. Main selling point is to avoid collisions yet winter tires or winter driving courses are not mandatory in US. In effect they simply cant drive on white road. 

2 hours ago, Skids said:

Of those, I then hate them if they have good biking roads. I hate them even more when they post pictures of their bikes, in the winter, on warm, dry roads.  🤬

Do not hate please! Now is our good riding season and bikes are everywhere. In summertime can only ride mornings and evenings, rest of day is a scorcher.

20210214-205944.jpg

Anyways, come over, we are open for business 🙂

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Grum said:

Cheers.

Hi Grum:

It was -13C here yesterday, the day before we had 25cm of snow, on top of the 50cm we got the week before. It snows here about 7 months out of the year. To be honest, you are not riding in those conditions. Yes, they salt the living daylights out of our roads, but my bikes are not on them during this time, well mostly🙂

What is a problem is that I live about 1/2 a kilometer from the ocean. Over time, things just rust whether on the road or not. So, I try to keep up with it by treating things as I do common maintenence, like brake pads, suspension, tires, etc. Fastenings I'll put on a brass wire wheel on my grinder then coat with Phosphoric acid, which turns Iron Oxide into Iron Phosphate, a fairly inert substance. I work on ships and boats and we use a lot of it. When dry I'll spray or brush with Rustoleom paint. On the frame, or larger parts a stiff wire brush then the same procedure. Fastenings get a bit of Tef Gel or NeverSieze on the threads to make further maintenence less interestesting.

Archived