Just curious, so when does you riding season typically end

For myself I'm fine riding down to high 30's.

But once the first real snow fall hits and they start treating the roads I'm done until spring (usually).  They like to throw down salt and sometimes cinders so even after the snow is gone that crap is on the roads.  I'm in central PA,  this last weekend it was in mid+ 50's so rode as much as family commitments allowed.    But snow coming down today,  wednesday we are looking at perhaps 18" of snow.  So guess I'm most likely done riding until spring 😞 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Snow and ice signal is the seaon end....

Cold and/or rain are not an issue, I have gear for that.

And ACF50 is my friend :laugh:

30 minutes ago, vikingGoalie said:

For myself I'm fine riding down to high 30's.

But once the first real snow fall hits and they start treating the roads I'm done until spring (usually).  They like to throw down salt and sometimes cinders so even after the snow is gone that crap is on the roads.  I'm in central PA,  this last weekend it was in mid+ 50's so rode as much as family commitments allowed.    But snow coming down today,  wednesday we are looking at perhaps 18" of snow.  So guess I'm most likely done riding until spring 😞 

I live in NE Ohio, so my weather is very similar to yours.  I usually ride into early to mid-November, but have been fortunate to ride a little in early December some years.  This year's riding season was extended a bit, as we had some warmer temps than usual until this weekend.  Unless we have a few warmer and dry days after Christmas, I'm done for the year.  For me, since I don't have heated gear, riding in temps below 40 isn't worth the chill to my body.

The salt and other crap on the roads is a kind of a deterrent for me, as I bought a brand new motorcycle in late August.  The last few years, however, since my VFR was older and had tons of miles on it - and wasn't cosmetically perfect anyway - I would ride already treated roads if temps were in the mid-40s.  I'm still willing to go ride in 40-ish temps, at least for shorter trips, but reluctant to subject my new bike to the crap on the roads.  If I do go out now, I'll wash the bike when I get home.

• Member Contributer

November is usually about it and then I get set for some winter maintenance......

It doesn't seem to snow in Dayton anymore.... or if it does it melts off in a day or two....

• Member Contributer

There are temporary pauses when the roads are wet/damp and the temp drops below 0, but only because they don't treat the roads in my village so I can't get to the highway without risking an off on ice patches. But like Dutchy, I have heated gear which does a really good job, even over longer distances.

Y'all don't hate me....but I log miles in all 12 months. Granted Dec Jan Feb you have to take what you can get but, there's usually

enough days over 50F to warrant a ride. Yesterday the high was 68F and I got 300 miles on my VFR in the 'Carolina sunshine.

I still dream about those 70+ days coming this spring.

• Member Contributer

Down here in upsidedown land, it never ends, and we can only dream of a white Christmas as the song goes, coz it ain't going to happen!:fing02:

Salt on roads! Wtf.......only on fish and chips!

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I ride close to year-round. Maybe take a month or two off Dec-Jan when it's raining lots. Temp doesn't bug me tok much, it gets down to -5C here occasionally.

Put the bikes on comp insurance as of 10/24. Yes, I cheated for a couple days when it hit low 60's. Not worth it in Michigan with close calls with deer during the rut. Stuck looking at YouTube bike videos and plotting trips til May.☹️

since i don't have a car.............i need to keep at least one bike ready to ride all year.

i will ride if roads are clear and temp is above 40F. and if i need to go somewhere like get more beer.

aug_1_2020_021.JPG.c61786026a022d4b20ef493df3bc7c72.thumb.JPG.1283195e47dc377e1bc459709ac3a991.JPG

msg-3647-0-39106600-1453767767.jpg.5466a479ee023ada4285f90c032e6e4d.jpg

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, squirrelman said:

since i don't have a car.............i need to keep at least one bike ready to ride all year.

i will ride if roads are clear and temp is above 40F. and if i need to go somewhere like get more beer.

aug_1_2020_021.JPG.c61786026a022d4b20ef493df3bc7c72.thumb.JPG.1283195e47dc377e1bc459709ac3a991.JPG

msg-3647-0-39106600-1453767767.jpg.5466a479ee023ada4285f90c032e6e4d.jpg

Holy crap. What a mess. :ohmy:That road salt gets everywhere! :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Mostly year round but November-December-January-February is a lot less. Just out for an hour here and there. Mostly its the debris on the roads from trees and rain washing gravel into the corners that causes the problem. My area is pretty low elevation so we don't get any real snow.

• Member Contributer

50F High is the approximate cut-off for me whenever in the year it happens.  Heated jacket and grips help to keep me warm.  No rain, sleet or snow.  And trailer if more than a 2-hour highway stint is involved.

• Member Contributer

When I lived in New England, the Princeton NJ area, and KCMO for a few years, there would always be that glorious January day when it almost hit 50. Worth calling in sick...check tire pressure, rip off the trickle charger, rummage through riding gear closet, and ride! The V4 just sounded different though, never quite acclimated.

Here in NorCal summer is perfect, but if you are on a popular road (aka PCH) the rental Mustang convertibles and 50 ft. RV's kinda kill the vibe. Winter therefore is great, and our locals are generally very nice about pulling over when we appear in their rear view mirror. But the roads get greasy with moisture out of the sun, and the back roads grow moss! So the pace is slower. I take multi-day trips north in the summer, south in the winter.

But...my last overnight trip was last January, Sant Cruz, Palos Verdes, Monterey. Covid...just day loops since then.

Today there was frost when I got up, but then all sun and a high of 62. Low sun is tough no matter what the temp however.

IMG_5433.JPG

• Member Contributer

We got our first real snow, meaning plows on the road not flurries around the 11th of Oct this year. That and wet leaves pretty much ended the riding season.

On May 10th this past Spring I woke up to a snow plow going by the house, It was almost soul destroying. So by my estimation this years riding season was less than 150 days.

I have snuck out of Maine a few times in April but I go straight south to VA, WV or NC. This has not always worked well as I've been snowed  in north of Harrisburg and in Albany waiting for the snow to melt enough to get back.

I'm seriously thinking of finally getting a trailer.

4 hours ago, RC79NC001 said:

60F and above Means I'm riding. The days are shorter the sun is lower and I figure 4 hours is about all you get. I'll take it.

The sun, or lack of it, definitely plays a part in very late season or winter riding.  Besides not wanting to ride dark rural roads due to deer, once the sun goes down the temperature drops fast.  If it was only 45 degrees that day, by 6 pm with the sun completely gone it could be in the low 30s.  So like you said, you only have so many hours to ride even with the weather is good.

Archived