2020 Tire(s) Review

RC79NC001

Hi Grum,

My shop fitted the high flow when they did an oil change. I'm not sure of the model number but, it did have the hex nut and that

was where it leaked. I can only speculate that the nut was used to (incorrectly) tighten the filter as opposed to loosening it for

replacement. Since that singular incident with the hi-flo I have gone back to using the OEM Honda filter exclusively. I am quite satisfied with

the result. As much as I enjoy this VFR I always complain about the oil filter removal process. Yes, I have left the old filters gasket

on the engine and suffered the consequences of installing the new filter and its gasket over it. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, RC79NC001 said:

Hi Grum,

My shop fitted the high flow when they did an oil change. I'm not sure of the model number but, it did have the hex nut and that

was where it leaked. I can only speculate that the nut was used to (incorrectly) tighten the filter as opposed to loosening it for

replacement. Since that singular incident with the hi-flo I have gone back to using the OEM Honda filter exclusively. I am quite satisfied with

the result. As much as I enjoy this VFR I always complain about the oil filter removal process. Yes, I have left the old filters gasket

on the engine and suffered the consequences of installing the new filter and its gasket over it. 

Those filters with the hex nut can just fail irrespective if the nut was used or not to tighten it. Spot welding the nut on such thin material has created a weakness that can fail.

I certainly wouldn't suggest not using OEM. What I am saying is that just because you had that failure there is no need to exclude all the other non oem filters, and as mentioned a Hi Flo HF204 will never let you down, well, that's certainly what I've experienced. Just keep away from all the hex nut filters, they are a death trap!

8gen oil filter change is a piece of cake once you're used to it.

Cheers:fing02:

Archived