2020 Tire(s) Review

RC79NC001

Here’s my tire usage for the year. My year to date mileage  is approaching 28000 .

Set1 Installed Feb 14; Metzeler Roadtecs (Tires cost $324.73) mounted at 44200 Mi

Notes: High Flow Oil Filter installed during service for tires. This filter developed a gradual leak that eventually coated part of the rear tire. Metzelers had accumulated approximately 4200 mi when this occurred. No more non-OEM oil filters for me !

Set 2 Installed Mar 14; Pirelli STs (Tires cost $214.49)  mounted at 48403 Mi.

Notes: Pirelli STs replaced oil coated Metzelers. Instantly noticed more lively steering feel and tip in.Enjoyed this set thoroughly. Belts showing on Rear tire just before  54444 Mi. Pirelli STs accumulated 6041 Mi.

Set 3 Installed June 2; Metzeler Z6s (Tires cost $217)  mounted at 54444 Mi.

Notes: Metzelers steered heavier than the Pirellis. Stable smooth riding. Metzeler Z6s accumulated approximately 5038 miles before belts began to show on the rear.

Set4 Installed Jul 2; Metzeler Roadtecs (Tires cost $324.33) mounted at 59482 Mi

Notes: Roadtecs provide a great balance of Feel, Grip, and Comfort at a premium price. These tires had accumulated approximately 6665 mi when the rear developed an unrepairable puncture. They were pretty close to being worn out.

Set5  Installed Oct 22; Pirelli STs (Tires cost $215) mounted at 66147 Mi.

Notes: Pirellis impress with excellent  feel and ride for a great price. Currently have accumulated about 4500 mi on this set with (hopefully) 1500 more miles to go.

Set1 Installed ?? 2021; Pirelli STs (Tires cost $215)

Notes: Already purchased another set of the Pirelli STs for next year. Great performance at a bargain basement price. But....

I still want a high quality tire that can go over 8000 mi if I have the chance to ride west in 2021.

My personal record on one set of tires would be the Bridgestone T30s I rode on the big round trip excursion from NC to Cali and back in 2018...8614 Mi on that set before replacing them. They were squared off and felt really dull by then. Never had one tire issue during the trip though. In fairness, those Bridgestones were installed before suspension upgrades were done. I ride more aggressively now              ( after the Jamie Daugherty suspension upgrades ) so that may also affect tire wear. Perhaps trying another set of Bridgestones would be warranted.

To be continued....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28,000 miles for the year?!  Wow!!  And I was feeling pretty good about approaching 12,000 this year.  :laugh:

Thanks for the quick tire reviews.  I always appreciate reading actual real-world rider comments instead of moto-mag reviewers' write-ups.

I bought Metzeler Roadtec Z6's the last couple times I replaced tires.  Not the longest wearing tires but I liked them.  My new bike came with Z8's as the original tires.  Most folks on the BMW forum I'm on hate the Z8's, but I think they're okay, if maybe a little less grippy than tires I've had previously.  In warmer weather they're fine, but in colder temps I just take corners a little slower.

I have a 2007 VFR with 11k miles on my Angel GT. Still looking ok. I thought the angel ST were replaced by the GT which was replaced by the GT II? Check the year of manufacturer of the ST. I wonder how to Roadtec 1 and Micheline Pilor Road 5 perform as well. Thanks for the report!

You're right about the ST Angels. They are the older design compared to the GT and GT2. They are made in china ( Pirelli is owned 

by the Chinese ) and the manufacturing dates are recent. I go through a lot of tires in a year and cost is a big factor. I'm tempted to

try the GT or GT2 but, I'd bet that they won't last me more than 8000 mi ....probably less. The Metzeler Roadtecs probably are in the same

category as the GT/GT2 and the one set that I almost wore to the belts had less than 7000 mi on it. Everyone's mileage varies.

• Member Contributer

Fitted Angel GT II's on my RC51 for a track day.

Then covid hit us. But am sure they'll do just fine.

• Member Contributer

Where are you buying your tires? I paid more for my back tire than you did for every set you mentioned. I would be hesitant to buy Michelin Pilot 5's if you're looking for longevity. I took these off at around 3000 miles and the back looks ok but the front not so good. I weigh 240 lbs and ride pretty aggressively on some curvy roads here in middle Tennessee, so that may account for the wear. 

20201212_100931.jpg

20201212_100927.jpg

20201212_100921.jpg

22 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

Where are you buying your tires? I paid more for my back tire than you did for every set you mentioned. I would be hesitant to buy Michelin Pilot 5's if you're looking for longevity. I took these off at around 3000 miles and the back looks ok but the front not so good. I weigh 240 lbs and ride pretty aggressively on some curvy roads here in middle Tennessee, so that may account for the wear. 

20201212_100931.jpg

20201212_100927.jpg

20201212_100921.jpg

Interesting observation. My friend had a very similar experience with his 2012 Ducati Multistrada which weighs a little less than the VFR. He was told he needs the GT tires - heavier load rating. It is very unusual for the front to wear out before the rear. Maybe it is a design issue with these tires? I have had good luck with my Pirelli GT's

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, dani said:

It is very unusual for the front to wear out before the rear. Maybe it is a design issue with these tires? I have had good luck with my Pirelli GT's

My BMWs all wore the front tyre out first even the GS800

• Member Contributer

The only tires I've used where the back wore out before the front were Dunlop Q series.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

IMG_a3694.thumb.jpg.6f3385635483ecb66d3505035f904f77.jpg

Today looked at the back of my Pirelli ST with bright winter sunlight shining on it. The belts are starting to show just a bit in one part of the tire. The last few rides have been pretty aggressive with lots of twisty roads and (occasional) 100 mph bursts . Looks like this set is not going to make it to the 6000 mi mark. Today we are right at 5393 Mi. These tires have been a hoot and there's another set in the garage ready to go. 

Just for fun let's play the what- if game. It looks like I'm a bit over 28000 mi for the year. Let's throw some cost estimates at running the 

Pirelli STs for 28000 mi vs Pirelli GTs for the same distance. I'm assuming 5000 mi per set of ST and 6500 mi per set of GT.

Note: I have never run a set of GTs but, I have run 3 sets of Metzeler Roadtec 1s and they have all lasted over 6500 mi....or they should have. One set got swapped out at 4000 mi (due to a crappy highflo oil filter leaking) I'm assuming the GTs will do at least as well as the Roadtecs....of course we all know about assumptions !!! I do plan to sample the GT in 2021.

Pirelli ST. $215 per set Amazon. 28000 mi/5000 mi/set=5.6 ( Round up to the nearest whole number ....6 Sets x 215=$1290

6 Sets x $150/set installation= $900. $1290+$900=$2190

Pirelli GT. $350 per set Amazon. 28000 mi/6500 mi/set=4.3 ( Round up to the nearest whole number ....5 Sets x 350=$1750

5 Sets x $150/set installation= $750. $1750+$750=$2500

It will cost $310 more to run the GTs instead of the STs over the equivalent distance. My shop gets an extra tire change visit out of me.

Just a hypothetical.....Anybody have a headache ? Cheers...drinks all around then !

• Member Contributer

There's roughly 19 factories producing Pirelli bike tyres. The latest is in Malaysia I think. Just wondering if anyone compiled stats on various locations.

I have noticed in past decade that more people have been returning defective Pirelli tyres at track more often. Set of Pirelli tyres on my Porsche dry-rotted and cracked before wearing out.

I just got 12k-miles out of my last set of BT-45s.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, RC79NC001 said:

IMG_a3694.thumb.jpg.6f3385635483ecb66d3505035f904f77.jpg

Today looked at the back of my Pirelli ST with bright winter sunlight shining on it. The belts are starting to show just a bit in one part of the tire. The last few rides have been pretty aggressive with lots of twisty roads and (occasional) 100 mph bursts . Looks like this set is not going to make it to the 6000 mi mark. Today we are right at 5393 Mi. These tires have been a hoot and there's another set in the garage ready to go. 

Just for fun let's play the what- if game. It looks like I'm a bit over 28000 mi for the year. Let's throw some cost estimates at running the 

Pirelli STs for 28000 mi vs Pirelli GTs for the same distance. I'm assuming 5000 mi per set of ST and 6500 mi per set of GT.

Note: I have never run a set of GTs but, I have run 3 sets of Metzeler Roadtec 1s and they have all lasted over 6500 mi....or they should have. One set got swapped out at 4000 mi (due to a crappy highflo oil filter leaking) I'm assuming the GTs will do at least as well as the Roadtecs....of course we all know about assumptions !!! I do plan to sample the GT in 2021.

Pirelli ST. $215 per set Amazon. 28000 mi/5000 mi/set=5.6 ( Round up to the nearest whole number ....6 Sets x 215=$1290

6 Sets x $150/set installation= $900. $1290+$900=$2190

Pirelli GT. $350 per set Amazon. 28000 mi/6500 mi/set=4.3 ( Round up to the nearest whole number ....5 Sets x 350=$1750

5 Sets x $150/set installation= $750. $1750+$750=$2500

It will cost $310 more to run the GTs instead of the STs over the equivalent distance. My shop gets an extra tire change visit out of me.

Just a hypothetical.....Anybody have a headache ? Cheers...drinks all around then !

Will be even more if you start using the newer GT 2.

• Member Contributer

If you're paying $150/ set for installation,  as much as you ride it would pay to set yourself up to mount & balance them yourself.  Check out Mojolever and Marc Parnes balancer - those are the two main tools I use to do mine.  I use a 14" car rim with heater hose on the edge to hold the wheel while working on it. 

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle tire Log/Record Locater.

Works surprisingly well as a beer cooler also.

Great write up, real world, first hand experience is a great resource and a benefit to all who ride.

To the OP, thanks for taking the time to do this.

🍺

thumbnail_1219202005a.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cogs is right.

My Black Widow paddock tire changer and HF wheel balancer cost less than $150 together. He just has better taste in tools than I do.............

I did not really want to change my own tires, but I do not have many options where I live and the few who were around were not strictly Motorcycle shops. As in they also did Quads, lawnmowers, Snow machines, Weed Whackers, chainsaws etc. Plus they would not mount them unless you bought the tires from them. Lets see, retail cost plus time and materials....Ummmm, no.

So like Ducatti (motto, turning riders into mechanics for over 50 years) I had to learn how to do it myself. Turns out its not that difficult.

I only average about 3-6 tires a year myself, depending, but average about 5 times that as I suddenly had a lot of new friends....

• Member Contributer

I have the HF tire machine, along with the Mojolever and Marc Parnes balancer. I do at least 8 sets of tires a year for myself, and another few dozen for friends. I only charge them a 6 pack of Hazy IPA 😀. Keeps my fridge stocked all summer...

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FromMaine said:

Cogs is right.

My Black Widow paddock tire changer and HF wheel balancer cost less than $150 together. He just has better taste in tools than I do.............

I did not really want to change my own tires, but I do not have many options where I live and the few who were around were not strictly Motorcycle shops. As in they also did Quads, lawnmowers, Snow machines, Weed Whackers, chainsaws etc. Plus they would not mount them unless you bought the tires from them. Lets see, retail cost plus time and materials....Ummmm, no.

So like Ducatti (motto, turning riders into mechanics for over 50 years) I had to learn how to do it myself. Turns out its not that difficult.

I only average about 3-6 tires a year myself, depending, but average about 5 times that as I suddenly had a lot of new friends....

Don't be too sure about my tool selection - LOL! - my bead breaker is a 2x4 secured to the wall by a satellite dish mount with a short 2x2 piece bolted to the 2x4 - press down on the 2x4 and the 2x2 then presses down on the bead - total hillbilly / redneck setup.  :laugh:  It does work though.  The car wheel is placed on a workbench with a steel rod sticking up out of the bench for the mojolever to get leverage against.  The mojolever definitely saves the wheel from scratches.  Enough soapy water or bead lube makes it a one person job. 

I see that many people like the idea of changing their own tires. I'm cool with that but I also like the idea of supporting my local 

independent ( and competent ) motorcycle shop. They are really good guys and I enjoy going to visit them. I think they are enjoying

the fact that I ride so much and burn through lots of consumables like tires .

From Maine has the  great idea of posting the new tire stickers on the fridge . I stick mine on the columns of storage shelves in the back of

my garage. It's like  your own personal history of tires !

IMG_a3706.thumb.jpg.259e28997eee0781b7919c29b515fe0b.jpgIMG_a3705.thumb.jpg.35becddbb3b214add75d6059a1b737e4.jpg

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, FromMaine said:

Motorcycle tire Log/Record Locater.

Works surprisingly well as a beer cooler also.

Great write up, real world, first hand experience is a great resource and a benefit to all who ride.

To the OP, thanks for taking the time to do this.

🍺

thumbnail_1219202005a.jpg

My shed wall is the same.

Archived