Quicker Handling

Bor

In an effort to quicken handling I am considering either raising the front forks slightly in the triple clamps or putting a spacer between the top of the rear shock and the frame. Is one preferable to the other? Thanks

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Bor said:

In an effort to quicken handling I am considering either raising the front forks slightly in the triple clamps or putting a spacer between the top of the rear shock and the frame. Is one preferable to the other? Thanks

Or do both... I did on my 5th gen... 

• Member Contributer

I'd start with the front, less effort.

If through trying various "drops"you are still not happy, raise the rear and take it from there.

I did some research in other threads. You are considering maintenance with Jamie Daugherty this winter? He will add a shock spring of his recommended ideal/maximum height. That is the best configuration. Exceeding said geometry will begin to diminish neutral handling and generate trade-offs in stability.

• Member Contributer

Due to availability circumstances, I’ve accidentally/incidentally found acceptable changes by using slightly larger tire on rear & smaller on front(about 10mm +/- sidewall dimensions). Sorta a bonus that came with having to compromise when replacing tire(s), like the lyric sez, can’t get whatca want?, get whatcha need !

• Member Contributer
On 12/8/2020 at 10:01 AM, mello dude said:

Or do both... I did on my 5th gen... 

I did both on my 1200, no loss of stability. Turns in way better, raised forks 10mm, and shimmed rear so that there are no threads sticking out the top of the shock nut under the tank.

• Member Contributer

Raising the front forks slightly in the triple clamps negatively cuts into available ground clearance where as putting a spacer between the top of the rear shock and the frame doesn't...

Archived