Sliding brake caliper clunk VF500

CEHobson

The left front floating caliper, which is mounted so it slides on the carriage, is loose on the carriage so that it clunks back and forth when I'm riding and not activating the brake. The caliper bounces back and forth on the carriage (in the direction it floats, minimal to no looseness perpendicular to the disc) and there is a circular rubber bumper or washer that doesn't seem to be doing anything to stop the clunk. The pistons themselves are working fine, bike brakes fine, everything else seems in shape. 1986 with 27K miles, daily rider, well maintained. Is this something I should address on my own (I don't have any specialized tools beyond socket sets, Allen wrenches and a torque wrench)? Or does it need my bike mechanic? Just trying to figure out the problem. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you are describing the sound TRAC will make when the components are worn a little or a collar got lost when it was disassembled.

• Member Contributer

image.thumb.png.bda36ac595071bc54942db002ad35bbb.png

The "silver" part should not have any (significant) horizontal play.

The (black) brake caliper should move horizontally, the sliding pin may have been corroded and sanded down in the past. Opposed to buying a new one

IMAG3743.jpg

A socket set, allen keys (or better allen sets that fit on your torque wrench) are sufficient to take things apart.

Let me know if you need torque settings.

A previous owner had been doing things "by feel

IMAG3778_1.jpg

Inspect the rubber boots, replace if torn and grease them with a bit of red rubber grease. NOT mineral oil based grease; this tends to "bloat" them.

post-8974-0-77160200-1459695709.jpg

Ah, the picture clears! Thanks very much - for sure the issue is that the pivoting carriage is pivoting freely back and forth and knocking against the pin that activates the TRAC system. I assume that usually the pin extends out from the fork so that the carriage is up against the pin at all times. Appreciate it!

• Member Contributer

can you post photo of your configuration? Wondering if there's an adjustment issue of some sort.

• Member Contributer

There are no adjustments.  OP doesn't state if this is a new (to him) bike or a new noise.  The TRAC will clunk on a higher mileage bike across ripples and bumps, that you can verify by applying very light braking and see if it diminishes.  And like I stated above, there is a collar that often gets lost (or badly worn) and causes excessive play and noise.    

Fork Parts Fiche

# 16 & 41 go thru 20 and connects the TRAC side caliper bracket to the fork and TRAC mechanism.

So I disassembled it (see below) and for sure part 41 is missing. I have to believe it wore out/broke and the parts fell off. I'm going to disassemble the TRAC piston assembly, and likely will have to find/make some kind of bushing to replace part 41. Apparently it is not available for sale. New noise, old bike for me. I've owned it since 2001, loved it ever since I saw one on the NJ Turnpike in 1986. Thanks again all!TRAC.thumb.jpg.af3201bdcb37779f9aa36bd8dce25de0.jpg

Archived