Is this Blasphemy or would you buy it?

hansendesign

Hi Guys,

I'm an amateur builder who is an Industrial Designer by training. I like taking older bikes and redesigning them using as much of the original as possible (you'll find a Nighthawk S on my site). The VF750 Interceptor is a really cool bike that has achieved a lot! They should be restored whenever possible... But sometimes they're beyond restoration yet able to be brought back in a different form (concept and example below).

At my site you can see more of what I have in mind: https://www.hansendesign.xyz/83vf750

There you will also find two projects in progress and some completed ones. 

My questions to you are:

1. Do you love it or hate it? -You won't hurt my feelings!

2. Would it be terrible to mod a piece of motorcycle history? -Not looking for permission, just curious if there's a market for a heavily customized Interceptor? Do you have examples?

Thanks for your input!  

-Josh Hansen

06_82VF750 Interceptor naked_3.jpg

127661156_1012894532548635_5546032529180419818_o.jpg

the VF series had alot of actual and potential mechanical problems you might not be aware of, so using your design skills on a later, better bike would make more sense, anything from 1986 or later.

So you want to take a five hundred dollar bike, put several thousand dollars worth of parts and labor into it, and end up with a twelve hundred dollar bike?  Have you considered making a big wheel bagger vfr?  Maybe that would fetch $1500.

I like it.  If the engine is the heart and soul of any motorcycle, then if you're building or rebuilding around it, I think you keep the spirit of the machine.  Better than scrapping the whole thing in my opinion.  🙂

I must admit I am a sucker for keeping things original but your idea looks great.  If it keeps another on the road, go for it.

It's not about the value in this case.

31 minutes ago, atx said:

Honestly just looks like animals without necks to me https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/168/25-Animals-Without-Necks-The-Results-Are-Hilarious

animals without necks

my texas prairie dog is neckless.....

oct 15 2020 016.JPG

• Member Contributer

Site came up...maybe something more like what you have here:

https://www.hansendesign.xyz/83vf750?pgid=kif3uy01-407064ea-cdde-48b9-acc0-21c2cbf24036

image.png.7b889f374c568efb70b7e1e2e0e6e7ac.png

You've got some nice bikes on there, all nicely done, throw some pics up. Like the '84 Nighthawk and especially the 450 cafe bike.

• Member Contributer

I like it.

ROI is irrelevant to me personally when it comes to motorcycles... :laugh:

SPM is... 

Smiles

Per

Mile

• Member Contributer

What Dutchy said.

Asking for opinions on relative beauty will get you as many answers as people you ask - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The only worthwhile question is do you want to do it. And, as Sparkie says, you have to decide whether it is worthwhile spending $$$ on a bike that will ultimately be worth $$. If money is not the issue, then crack on!

Whilst I like the looks of them, I'm not in the market (nor the continent) to buy one.

• Member Contributer

I think it's so awesome!!  Most of time when people do these types of restorations, bike just looks hacked up. This one is done very tastefully and well-balanced. I like how both front-end and rear were shortened.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Most helpful so far are the comments about the VF750 platform and whether or not it's worth the time and money. Honestly, I'm a little confused, by my research anyways (which is limited to internet searches right now) the interceptor was an awesome bike with and oil distribution issue... With the oil mod is the engine great? Or is it still a dud?

Forget about the money for second, builders are doing CX500's and Virago's, so why not an Interceptor? What am I missing?

Here's a Nighthawk S I'm just finishing, no one is doing these either... Same approach different bike.

IMG_3057.JPEG

7 hours ago, hansendesign said:

Honestly, I'm a little confused, by my research anyways (which is limited to internet searches right now) the interceptor was an awesome bike with and oil distribution issue... With the oil mod is the engine great? Or is it still a dud?

Believe me  you don't want to go there re oil mod. My own opinion is the VF750 was a game changing bike back in the day but it had major engine issues from day one which Honda never fixed, gave up on pretty rapidly, and built the VFR750 to try divert attention away from the VF750. Tells you all you need to know really.

Your 650 looks very nice btw. The front wheel looks very close to the headers. Might be a bit nervous in the corners? 

• Member Contributer

If you do want to go the VF route, the 1986 VF500F2 (finally) had line bored journals.  Donot know if the VF750 had too.

Oil mod is (imho) just make belief...  It doesnot solve the underlying issues.

1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

If you do want to go the VF route, the 1986 VF500F2 (finally) had line bored journals.  Donot know if the VF750 had too.

Oil mod is (imho) just make belief...  It doesnot solve the underlying issues.

The VF750 never got line bored. The VF400 never did either. The 500 and the 1000 did eventually.

• Member Contributer

yeah, VF500 only 1986+ 

My '86 never problems during 34-years I owned it, but my brother's '84 & '85 chewed their cams.

Archived