Chain and Sprocket Shopping Recommendations

PlentyMech

My gen 6 is starting to look and feel like a C&S freshen up is needed. Would anyone like to share any recommendations for resellers of chains and sprockets? Not stuck on any particular brand but usually found DiD pretty solid in the past. Probably going stock (16/43) but would be good if someone allows a mix and match.

I'm in Australia btw (Sydney)

Thanks in advance

• Member Contributer

When I replaced mine I went OEM sprockets from Partzilla.  The best price I could find on the DID ZVMX 530 I bought was on Amazon.  Not sure how that translates with shipping to Australia. 

I'll be in the same market.  Strange chain-sprocket interactions going on probably due to previous owner(s) lack of maintenance.

I've got a pretty reasonable looking O ring chain on pretty good looking sprockets (both), staked master link.

Bike has had a pretty consistent repetitive clicking sound from chain.  Took the whole thing off, serious clean in kero, bath in CRC overnight to see if I could ease up some stiff links.  Seemed to be considerably better, but not 100%. On re-assembly found that at places the chain would be correct tension, other tight as a nun's ###%. Only way that can happen is some sections of the chain are SHORTER than others.  Second disassembly and close examination - looks like a couple of links have significantly more slop in them than the majority.  Me suspect that these pins have dried out and have been grinding away pin to roller without lube for a while and have ended up both worn and/or partially welded.

Lesson: when your chain is fucked, its fucked.

• Member Contributer

I always buy my chain and sprockets from Bike Torque Racing on flea bay. They are in the UK and their shipped price to Australia has always been cheaper than local. Go figure, DID chains sent from Japan to the UK and back to OZ for less cost!!!!!!

Currently using a DID ZVMX with AFAM sprockets. The ZVMX is quite a bit heavier than the VX3 but has the same wear index. Only difference is absolute strength. I think the VX3 is a wiser choice because the VFR is not massively powerful and the lower unsprung weight would be an improvement, albeit minimal. The VX3 is also cheaper.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Kiwiwannafly said:

... On re-assembly found that at places the chain would be correct tension, other tight as a nun's ###%. Only way that can happen is some sections of the chain are SHORTER than others.  Second disassembly and close examination - looks like a couple of links have significantly more slop in them than the majority.  Me suspect that these pins have dried out and have been grinding away pin to roller without lube for a while and have ended up both worn and/or partially welded.

Lesson: when your chain is fucked, its fucked.

No necessarily. Un-centered sprockets will cause this as well. Make a mark on rear-sprocket and spin wheel around. See if tightness coincides with specific rotation of sprocket.

I think I bought a couple sets from BikeBandit and Partzilla.  Usually DID, and maybe Regina once.  Also, my local Honda dealer's parts department would sometimes match online prices.  In my opinion it's worth asking, in case you'd like to keep your business local.  😉

• Member Contributer

My preference for chain is DID. I usually get the oversize rear sprocket, 45 teeth, from Sprocket Center.

Truth be told, I think if I were replacing chain and sprockets, I'd go with the 520 kit instead. The 530 chain is

way overkill for the VFR.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, FJ12Ryder said:

My preference for chain is DID. I usually get the oversize rear sprocket, 45 teeth, from Sprocket Center.

Truth be told, I think if I were replacing chain and sprockets, I'd go with the 520 kit instead. The 530 chain is

way overkill for the VFR.

I second all this. I have been running a +2 teeth rear, 520 chain setup DID from Sprocket Center for a year on my 5th Gen and haven't had any issues.

• Member Contributer

The Gen 8 runs a 525 as standard, so dropping to that size would seem to be a good move for the older generations. 

DID says a 520 will not last as long as a 525, simply because the pin size is smaller, so the improvement in performance should be weighed up against chain life.

Having said all that, many of the more powerful sports bikes now run 520 chains, so they are obviously good enough for a VFR.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, DannoXYZ said:

No necessarily. Un-centered sprockets will cause this as well. Make a mark on rear-sprocket and spin wheel around. See if tightness coincides with specific rotation of sprocket.

Finally confirmed what I suspected. Measured roller to roller the maximum difference I found between links was 2.778mm! Explains the vast differences in chain slack as short and long links roll over the sprockets. I'm a bit buggered to come up with a plausible reason why wear in some locations and significantly less in others??

Regardless new 530 O ring on the way. Yeah might be overkill but when its the same price as a 520 or a 525, I'll take it.

Archived