My new project ‘86 VFR750

Mjollimore

Found this ole girl sitting in a parking garage of a building I’m working in. Managed to track down the owner after a month of searching. I asked him if he would consider selling it, and he approached me today. $700 is what he wanted, it ran 2 years ago, 94,000km or 58,000 miles. It’s complete. Couldn’t pass it up. It’s likely going to sit until at least next summer, before I get a chance to touch it, but step one will be clean it up, get it running, new tires and drive it. I love this year VFR, always wanted one. 
 Any advice from people with some experience is appreciated! 
 I’m a licensed Automotive mechanic, so I will be doing everything that need doing, at home. 

013098B6-F153-4397-893A-AF47AE950EA4.jpeg

1D3E2BF8-4553-4DBD-8E90-DE1112A8358A.jpeg

121585E0-F9E5-4E6B-A312-E447F84237BF.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Wow! Could be an excellent find, mine is a 700 minus that unobtanium centre stand. Pretty sure I’m jealous!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Mjollimore said:

Found this ole girl sitting in a parking garage of a building I’m working in. Managed to track down the owner after a month of searching. I asked him if he would consider selling it, and he approached me today. $700 is what he wanted, it ran 2 years ago, 94,000km or 58,000 miles. It’s complete. Couldn’t pass it up. It’s likely going to sit until at least next summer, before I get a chance to touch it, but step one will be clean it up, get it running, new tires and drive it. I love this year VFR, always wanted one. 
 Any advice from people with some experience is appreciated! 
 I’m a licensed Automotive mechanic, so I will be doing everything that need doing, at home. 

013098B6-F153-4397-893A-AF47AE950EA4.jpeg

1D3E2BF8-4553-4DBD-8E90-DE1112A8358A.jpeg

121585E0-F9E5-4E6B-A312-E447F84237BF.jpeg

Nice!  You darn near stole it!    :fing02:

This website has a lot of how to's on restoring / mods on that vintage of VFR - a great resource. 

http://v4dreams.com/maintenance.html

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond! :beer:

At a minimum, I would syphon off the fuel and fill the tank with ethanol-free fuel.

If you get to drain the carbs, the better.

Inspect the inside of the fuel tank to assure you that no serious rust build up has occurred

Remove the battery if one is fitted; you donot want it to start leaking in the coming months.

• Member Contributer

Nice bike and great price 

joe @v4dreams.com is your go to guy for information and many “how to do it” articles 

Archived