Need more Brake adjustment...

Blackened

• Member Contributer

My brake pedal needs to be adjusted down more. I know how to adjust it (and yes I have!) but the problem I am running into is that I can't get it adjusted down any more than it already is. 

A few pics:

Where it currently sits:

image.thumb.png.c884f9bdec5f31bc8c078fd87c4fc54a.png

The tiny gap left for adjustment (Actually it is needed so it doesn't interfere with it's movement😞image.png.93376ba5e727ffd9392221f86f3d4991.png

How my foot sits in comparison to where I want it:

image.thumb.png.73a7c7a8aa5a6fe5eb5d7da5f8b143ed.png

The last pic makes it look really bad so you'll have to take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunately taking foot position selfies was harder than I thought it was going to be.  The pedal is about an inch too high for me is what it comes down to. 

My question is, can I cut the threaded rod where it connected to the pedal (At the back) to allow for more travel on the pedal or am I opening pandora's box that is just going to end up with me replacing parts? I realize I might have to do something with the spring for the brake light switch, but is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

• Member Contributer

And one other thing I just noticed when I compared my photo to another VFR photo... Does that pedal look bent?

image.png.2cdbcef0a90a28719a9277062b1b2732.pngimage.png.24e47492efc35b8d914db220f4072449.png

• Member Contributer

Well it looks like I have my answer. After comparing against several photos I can see my foot lever is bent. I pulled it off and took a few whacks at it with a hand sledge (If is breaks it breaks, it's going to get replaced anyway) but it didn't budge. 

I slowly dropped the bike not long after I got it. I wasn't even moving, just lost my balance. That was likely when it happened and I just didn't realize it because I hadn't set the bike up yet.

That or the PO did it which is also a possibility.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Grum said:

Its bent alright. Have a go at straightening it, or just replace it with a newy.

I'm debating putting it in a vice to see what that does.... It's not an awful bend, but it is enough to be annoying. I'll likely end up replacing it. 

• Member Contributer

Yeah do both! Put it in vise to squeeze and heat with torche. Then squeeze some more.

• Member Contributer

Well apparently I just wasn't hitting it hard enough! Hitting harder for the win! It's (almost) perfectly straight now - Lo and behold, I do not need more adjustment. Can't believe I never thought to check that! 😄 I took a minute to do some adjustments to the shift lever and it feels like a new bike! Going to change the brake pads and do the fork seals for the cold weather months. Can't wait to take her out this spring!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Blackened said:

Well apparently I just wasn't hitting it hard enough! Hitting harder for the win! It's (almost) perfectly straight now - Lo and behold, I do not need more adjustment. Can't believe I never thought to check that! 😄 I took a minute to do some adjustments to the shift lever and it feels like a new bike! Going to change the brake pads and do the fork seals for the cold weather months. Can't wait to take her out this spring!

Glad you have it sorted, but have a very close look at your work, as with just belting it back with a hammer cold may have caused fine cracks/fractures.

The last thing you want is a pedal breakage just when you need it the most!!!

Just to be sure!

Enjoy your ride.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I crushed up a pencil lead into dust and rubbed it over the lever. That should have highlighted any cracks in it if there were any. 

Archived