4th. Gen Alternator output

Trying to find the output in watts for a 4th. gen. alternator. Anybody? Seems my heated grips drop voltage to the battery to 12.4 volts on high heat, 13.0 on low. No problem in the past but that low voltage makes me question the health of my stator.

• Member Contributer

I would check the plug between the stator and r/r to see if it is melted as that is the first source of resistance in the system.

• Member Contributer

Approx 345-350 W but you’re right, hard to find that spec. I’ve discovered it somewhere before but can’t quickly find again, my 86 shop manual(genuine honda) sez 350W. Unless you’re referring to output@ idle the voltages are low, should maintain approx. 14.5V 2000-5000 rpm

• Member Contributer

VFR750F, RC24 Service Manual states Alternator output is 350w at 5000rpm.

Simple ohms check of the 3 stator wires for low ohms between the wires and NO continuity (virtual infinity) any wire to frame.

Check for any heat stressed wiring and connections from the stator to RR and from the RR output.

Also might well be worth replacing the R/R with a quality Series type like the Shindengen FH020AA.

The state of your battery can also have an impact on your charging voltage. 

Manual also states charging voltage should be between 14.3v to 15.1 from 1,100rpm upwards.

43 minutes ago, jefferson said:

I would check the plug between the stator and r/r to see if it is melted as that is the first source of resistance in the system.

not the only trouble spot.......connection on solenoid can begin to melt also.

new_032.JPG.006bc48082d56caa3d2f46f0758fb337.thumb.JPG.f55485fe7be42936a0f083c8fe7baf69.JPGjune_1_2019_014.JPG.62cc9a2adb1555fa1c5e0f615599b2b5.thumb.JPG.23c609d4f7a345939f7e4f7f360aa3f4.JPG

• Member Contributer

Yep, check all those connections.... stator is likely OK, it's the connections mainly, and yes, knowing what I know these days, Shindengen mofset would be on my list of to do's in a heartbeat.  An aging battery with a touch less capacity doesn't help, but you can load test those.

Output voltage is 13.9 to 14.1 at 4-5k rpm. I will be checking all connections. Original R/R failed at about 25k miles, and was replaced with a Rick's unit. Connections to the R/R look good.

Battery is a fresh Yuasa. Stator is the original. Thanks for all the info. 

Archived