Yet Another (BUDGET) Street Fighter Build

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Took 30 pounds off the front end, and took a look at the headlight. It actually plugs in to the stock wiring and works with the switch.

20201215_165941.jpg

20201215_165946.jpg

20201215_172544.jpg

20201215_174800.jpg

20201215_180208.jpg

• Member Contributer

Realized the P/O of my RC51 had modified the triple clamp for an SP2 steer tube, so I had to make an adapter.

20201205_114523.jpg

20201211_093019.jpg

20201211_093029.jpg

• Member Contributer

The kickstand was damaged from abuse of some sort. The pivot hole was out of round, the bolt was bent, and the forked area where it pivots was splayed open, like a spatchcock chicken. They don't make the kickstand anymore, but I found the a bolt. The bracket is still available, but $50, so I will ream the out-of-round hole, and turn down the new bolt, and make a chromoly spacer sleeve to make up the difference. I cut off the excess mounts for the kickstand fairings, and am grinding the entire part smooth, and rounding all the edges for a more organic look. I put the splayed open part in the hydraulic press and now it's true. That kick stand is made for a 500+ pound bike, and this one will be around 400 ish. One of the crudest castings I have ever seen. Once I'm done, I will powdercoat it gloss black.

This weekend I will try to mount the 929 front end, then I can get my wire lengths, and check the brake lines and cables to see if they are long enough. I will mount and wire up the KOSO gauge, which is much smaller than it looked in the pictures...

Already measured for radiator mounts, and need to work out the oil cooler mount. Also need to hide the coils, and change out all steel brackets to aluminum. Once I'm done with that, I will start on the back end - subframe, tailsection, 929 shock and battery tray.

Once that is done, I will sort the carbs, do a valve check, fix any leaks, and do plugs, and all fluids. Then it will be time to disassemble the entire bike, powdercoat everything, and re-assemble. Hoping to be done by April or May.

Anyone know what thread is on the engine temp sensor on a 3rd gen? I'm assuming 10mm, but not sure. The koso gauge comes with 1/8" NPT so I can re-thread, get an adapter, or order the right one...

• Member Contributer

If anyone wants any of these parts let me know. Just pay shipping. Except the sprockets, they were recycled.

20201206_105632.jpg

• Member Contributer

I like everything you're doing. Looks really nice and well done. I especially like the exposed countershaft sprocket. Kind of wondering how you did that. I bought a Renthal countershaft and it is darn near artwork and I hate to hide it behind a cover. I haven't got into the covers yet as I am waiting for the rear Renthal to become available in England. Seems they aren't available in the U.S.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Looks like this bike sat outside for awhile....

20201215_172536.jpg

Nice work you're doing RC1237V. Actually those spade terminals look pretty good, no burn marks or corrosion on the terminals. A wash out with WD-40 and a good coating of Ox-Gard or similar should sort it out.

• Member Contributer
On 12/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, RC1237V said:

The chain guide rubber piece is barely useable, and discontinued. Anyone know of an alternative, or will I need to make one...

There's supposed to be a rubber chain guide down there? Is it important? Dang. One more thing to check for on my own bike...

• Member Contributer
On 12/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, jefferson said:

I like everything you're doing. Looks really nice and well done. I especially like the exposed countershaft sprocket. Kind of wondering how you did that. I bought a Renthal countershaft and it is darn near artwork and I hate to hide it behind a cover. I haven't got into the covers yet as I am waiting for the rear Renthal to become available in England. Seems they aren't available in the U.S.

All you need to do is cut out the part that is covering the front sprocket, but you will loose your speedo drive. I will be using an electronic speedo, so no harm.

• Member Contributer

Cleaned up the kickstand, and powder coated it as well. Made a fixture to sandblast and powder coat in between the coils of the spring. Also fixed the out of round hole in the kick stand by reaming it from what was trying to be a 12mm hole to a .500" hole. Machined down the bolt and made a spacer. All greased and assembled there is absolutely no play, and the bike sits properly now. 

Taking off another boat anchor - the center stand, which the PO requested along with the mirrors. 

20201218_074751.jpg

20201218_074759.jpg

20201218_122003.jpg

20201218_122310.jpg

20201218_122317.jpg

20201218_124505.jpg

• Member Contributer

Machined some quick radiator mounts, since there was nothing to do all day at work....I know, I need larger diameter lower bolt so everything is centered, but I did not have the right length on hand...

20201218_163148.jpg

20201218_164701.jpg

20201218_164706.jpg

• Member Contributer

Need to fab up some oil cooler lines, as I need to mount the oil cooler under the radiator. I will put the front end on this weekend, hoping it all goes smoothly! I wonder why Honda put these drain lines on the oil cooler. If they flipped it over, it would not collect water there. Am I missing something?

20201218_165101.jpg

20201218_165104.jpg

20201218_165112.jpg

• Member Contributer

Whenever I work with freshly powder coated parts, I wait until after I'm done to have my 8.5% beverage, so as to not scratch the parts...

20201218_174415.jpg

Really nice looking work, thanks for posting up your build.

Have you thought about stick coils instead of trying to hide/relocate the stock ones?  Sorry if you already mentioned it somewhere and I missed it. 

• Member Contributer

Yes, I did think about it, but as the title said, this is a budget build. I might do that on the red bike...

I like your restoration, and when I pull my tank off, if the airbox cover is untouched I will trade you if you want. Your bike deserves an un-molested one....

5 minutes ago, RC1237V said:

Yes, I did think about it, but as the title said, this is a budget build. I might do that on the red bike...

I like your restoration, and when I pull my tank off, if the airbox cover is untouched I will trade you if you want. Your bike deserves an un-molested one....

Gotcha, with your fabrication skills I’m sure you could whip up some brackets to relocate the stock coils. 

I changed to stick coils on my ZRX and it really does clean things up, but you knew that and it does add to the cost. 

On the air box lid, that is super nice of you and I will take you up on that if it works out. Would find a way to return the favor or pay it forward. 

• Member Contributer

This is definitely one of the better beer threads I've read this year. Nice that you threw in a few bike photos.

'Scuse me, getting thirsty...

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Need to fab up some oil cooler lines, as I need to mount the oil cooler under the radiator. I will put the front end on this weekend, hoping it all goes smoothly! I wonder why Honda put these drain lines on the oil cooler. If they flipped it over, it would not collect water there. Am I missing something?

20201218_165101.jpg

20201218_165104.jpg

20201218_165112.jpg

If the fitting or o-ring leaks, it will drip back, away from your brakes.

• Member Contributer

Took all the old heavy stuff off of the front end. Everything on the VFR was heavier than the CBR stuff, even though it was much smaller. CBR forks were lighter by 3lbs each, the lower triple was about a pound lighter, scale did not work that low a weight. The CBR wheel with 330mm rotors was 4 lbs lighter than the VFR wheel with 296mm rotors. The brake and clutch  master cylinders are much lighter too.

20201219_122519.jpg

• Member Contributer

Pressed in the new races for the CBR triples. Threaded rod from home depot, along with a bearing driver set, and some long wrenches made easy work of it. Checked with my .001" feeler gauge to make sure they were all the way seated. The .001" metal looks much thicker in the photo, but it's like tin foil...

20201219_124325.jpg

20201219_124330.jpg

20201219_125106.jpg

• Member Contributer

The new triple is so large, I had to drill and tap the frame for some custom steering stops. THIS IS A SALVAGE TITLE FRAME, so no harm was done to a pristine VFR frame...

20201219_164351.jpg

Archived