Looking for a 1998 VFR gen 5 Engine (East Coast)

VicSev93

Hello! I am very sorry if this post is wrong/does not belong here. If so, I will delete it. But here is my issue. The people in this group have helped me massively, for that I thank you. I have went through the manual testing all the electronics, from the R/R to the stator, to the ECU, and everything else. I thought this was the issue for my bike randomly dying on me. But all was good. Next, we literally took the engine apart (the top two cylinders) There metal shavings everywhere, the engine has about 30psi in one of the cylinders. Overall, its dead. (I bought this way for a cheap price, I knew something was wrong, but not to this extent) I am now looking to buy a 1998 VFR Gen 5 engine to replace it. I am located in Brooklyn, NY. I will come buy it if you are located on the east coast (NY, NY, PA or anywhere in the area. Thank you.

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

If you buy a motor from a '00/'01, you'll need to swap over the thermostat housing as well as the water neck on the #1 cylinder - they have an additional water tap for the wax unit that your '98 won't have.  They interchange directly.  Also, check the O-rings behind the water necks coming out of the back of the heads - they get petrified over time from heat -  cheap maintenance while you have it apart. 

Archived