VFR800X Suspension - shock arm plates

Skids

• Member Contributer

I bought my 2018 Crossie in Oct 19 and have done nearly 10k miles on her since then, commuting my 104 miles a day up and down the A1 highway, for which she is perfect.

I therefore don't get to go x-country around the twisties very often and when I do,  I find I can cope with the handling.

Popped out to clean her today and decided to stiffen the suspension slightly and see how different if felt. I went to adjust the rear shock and saw that I couldn't access the adjuster as the shock arm plate on the LHS was in the way. I had a look at the Owners Manual and Service Manual (for an 800F) and they both show the shock arm plate in a different position to mine. It seems as though mine has been rotated, perhaps to lower the seat height a little.

The Service Manual states that the stamp should be facing up with the arrow forward yet mine is pointing downwards, but the SM is for an 800F and may not be the same as the 800X. The 800X Owners Manual only shows a poor drawing so difficult to tell.

Anyone able to assist?

Pics are my bike, the 800X Owners Manual and the 800F Service Manual.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Is rotating the plates a recognised method of adjusting the height of the rear shock?

• Member Contributer

You don't have to own a Crossrunner to have a say in this; it's virtually the same bike as the 8th Gen.

Anyone?

Bueller?..........Bueller?...........

• Member Contributer

Hi Skids. 

Ok it does appear the previous owner would have had this done to lower the seat height.

You can purchase lowering plates that do the same job but hopefully they wouldn't block access to the adjuster.

So it does appear yours needs a rotation of one position clockwise to have it back to normal position.

My 8gen is exactly as your last drawing and the small arrow must point forward.

Can't offer more than that!

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Skids. 

Ok it does appear the previous owner would have had this done to lower the seat height.

You can purchase lowering plates that do the same job but hopefully they wouldn't block access to the adjuster.

So it does appear yours needs a rotation of one position clockwise to have it back to normal position.

My 8gen is exactly as your last drawing and the small arrow must point forward.

Can't offer more than that!

Thanks M8, just needed confirmation, that was all.  :beer:

• Member Contributer
On 11/23/2020 at 2:00 AM, Skids said:

Is rotating the plates a recognised method of adjusting the height of the rear shock?

I'm glad you resolved this issue, but yes, this mod has been in discussion and debate for over a decade as the 6th gen shares its engine block design and suspension linkage design with the 8th gen and Cross.  I applied the same mod to my 6th gen back in 2010, but didn't have any issues with shock setting access. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Africord said:

I'm glad you resolved this issue, but yes, this mod has been in discussion and debate for over a decade as the 6th gen shares its engine block design and suspension linkage design with the 8th gen and Cross.  I applied the same mod to my 6th gen back in 2010, but didn't have any issues with shock setting access. 

Thanks. I guess as I have needed to lower either the seat height of suspension, I've never taken notice of any threads containing this information.

• Member Contributer

Got the bike back from the dealers so I rotated the plates back to original. Can't say I noticed any great difference to sitting height, but maybe I'll see on MOnday when I go to work, along with the stiffening up of the suspension now I can reach the rear adjuster.

IMAG1142.jpg

IMAG1143.jpg

Archived