Riding My Dream VFR

flya750

• Member Contributer

OZ got its last Generation 8s in 2017. Mine is a 2014 and although it’s running like a dream at 58,000km, I would update it if I could. I have a daughter living in Oxford, maybe she could buy me one for Christmas!

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VFR78 said:

OZ got its last Generation 8s in 2017. Mine is a 2014 and although it’s running like a dream at 58,000km, I would update it if I could. I have a daughter living in Oxford, maybe she could buy me one for Christmas!

Just send me the money, I'll sort yr bike. You can keep it in my garage until our Autumn (promise I wont ride it), then I can ride it down to Oz so it arrives for your summer! That would be an epic trip!

• Member Contributer

Today's short 250k run and some Fuel Economy stats - After a total of 434.8k's since my last fill, took on 17.48 litres which calculates out to 4.02ltr per 100ks, backs up what the avg/L/100k. indication is displaying at 4.0. Always amazed at this bikes fuel economy and tank range. (Sorry for the blurry Instrument Panel pic I had the sun over my shoulder). And No, I don't ride at snails pace!

Photo is near the old gold mining town of Chewton Victoria. This is a tribute (wood carving) to a local guy Rod Hadfield, a well known Street Rodder and T-Model Ford enthusiast. The dog appears to be far more interested in my VFR than the old T-model, nice doggy!

Cheers.:beer:

20201229_140026.jpg

20201229_154252.jpg

• Member Contributer

Holy smokes - that is AMAZING!  For us mile based thinkers that's about 58.4 mpg.  I think the best I've ever gotten with the 6th gen is about 44 mpg - but I usually average about 40 (tho the Rapid Bike seems to have picked that up some to around 42).  Depending on what's presumed, that's probably anywhere between 1/3 to 50% better fuel economy.  Having the added range at some stages would be golden - in remote areas fuel stops can be far between.  I wish I knew what Honda did to get that out of it - presuming the map - checked the fuel injector P/N's and they are the same.  If it's all software, that's very impressive.  Wow. 

• Member Contributer

That's 70.5mpg (imperial) for the Brits.

I can get that on the Crossrunner but only at a steady 50mph/80kph or so without a strong headwind (more drag on the upright Crossie).

Still, an impressive figure. That would give me a 322 mile/516 km tank range.

• Member Contributer

Yep the 8gen wins hands down over my three previous 6gens in fuel economy in all forms of riding. Have a great collection of fuel run stats on XL spreadsheets. Interesting all my best runs have been on our Standard Unleaded 91ron fuel - non ethanol, not the higher octane Premium Fuels which I've occasionally tried.

Think its down to a combination of many things, lighter weight, less electrical loads, new cam profiles, ECM mapping, and seeing Honda are so in bed with Euro fuel standards, the 8gen might run a leaner A/F ratio.

• Member Contributer

Indeed, and though not the most popular view around these parts, the 8th Gen is the best VFR800, with the Crossrunner of course being the pinnacle of 8th Gen development. 😜  :beer:

• Member Contributer

Not only can you get very good mpg from a VFR but you can do so with 89 octane (US), the bike doesn’t need premium unleaded. I’ve easily achieved 50 mpg on my sixth Gen. 

On 12/23/2020 at 6:29 PM, Careca said:

Called up today about the New Red VFR .

They wouldn't budge on £8,999.00 saying thats what they paid . Wouldn't throw anything in and wouldn't even do free delivery. 

Guess I can wait.......certainly no rush , its winter here and its lashing .

I bought mine new in March 2020 Ayrshire Scotland, good eh lol

I paid £9999 and got panniers, quick shifter, hugger and Akrapovic exhaust

On 1/5/2021 at 9:47 AM, BeePee said:

I bought mine new in March 2020 Ayrshire Scotland, good eh lol

I paid £9999 and got panniers, quick shifter, hugger and Akrapovic exhaust

Well Mr Club Racer from Scotland, this is your fault. 

I went for the " buy now, explain later " approach. 

Given they are discontinued ( confirmed ) and Honda will not make any more , certainly not for us ,  I bought today the last Red one I could find for £8,995.00

Brand new although pre registered , zero miles still in its crate. There are still 2 silver ones left at this price , but I had to have red. 

Managed to get a Titanium Akrapovic, quick shifter , rear hugger and bar risers in the deal although not for free but at a very heavy discount .

I really didn't need another bike , but I couldn't pass up the chance to buy one of the last of the line great  V4's available . 

The question is , do I ride it or put it on a plinth , perspex box over it , light it and save it for posterity. 

• Member Contributer

Ride it .....motorcycles should die with hot tyres, not fade away 

3 hours ago, Careca said:

You are right. It shall be ridden like it was stolen !

Congrats on your new bike!!  And yes, ride it like you stole it.  (Except during break-in, and except near known speed cameras.)  🙂 

• Member Contributer

Congratulations, you found one in red no less, Well Done!

Sounds well kitted to boot.

Your "Buy now, explain later" Translates here in the US to "Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission". Either way, I wholly agree with that method.🙂🍻

Happy Trails.

13 hours ago, FromMaine said:

Congratulations, you found one in red no less, Well Done!

Sounds well kitted to boot.

Your "Buy now, explain later" Translates here in the US to "Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission". Either way, I wholly agree with that method.🙂🍻

Happy Trails.

I had to haggle very hard to get it, the main issue is I wanted RED. There are still some silver ones left but not so many red ones.  I think I will try and find a set of paniers for it but Im not paying full price for those . 

With regards to getting another bike past the bike police ( Wife ........do you need another bike ? ) , I have never forgotten this advert that I saw many years ago .

I think Steve got many phone calls.

2006 Suzuki  GSXR1000. This bike is perfect! It has 1000 miles and has had its 500 mile dealer service. (Expensive) It's been adult ridden, all wheels have always been on the ground. I use it with love and affection . I'm selling it because it apparently "Do whatever the f**k you  want" doesn't mean what I thought it did. 
Call me, Steve...(801)867-8292

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Careca said:

I had to haggle very hard to get it, the main issue is I wanted RED. There are still some silver ones left but not so many red ones.  I think I will try and find a set of paniers for it but Im not paying full price for those . 

With regards to getting another bike past the bike police ( Wife ........do you need another bike ? ) , I have never forgotten this advert that I saw many years ago .

I think Steve got many phone calls.

2006 Suzuki  GSXR1000. This bike is perfect! It has 1000 miles and has had its 500 mile dealer service. (Expensive) It's been adult ridden, all wheels have always been on the ground. I use it with love and affection . I'm selling it because it apparently "Do whatever the f**k you  want" doesn't mean what I thought it did. 
Call me, Steve...(801)867-8292

I know the OEM Panniers are ridiculously priced (just over $2000 here in Australia) but they are oh so convenient, and they look great. Congratulations on the new bike, I love all four available colours, but like you prefer the red.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:36 PM, Philois1984 said:

I know the OEM Panniers are ridiculously priced (just over $2000 here in Australia) but they are oh so convenient, and they look great. Congratulations on the new bike, I love all four available colours, but like you prefer the red.

Panniers are discontinued. Trying to find a dealer who might have a nos set lying around, Found one in Spain of all places for Eur500 which is a very good price. Im trying to order them but think they are having a siesta again . Now the VFR is discontinued here , some dealers are selling off all their accessories/extras , clearing inventory and I  have picked up many parts @ less than half price. There is 1 dealer over here that has 5 sets of red panniers but he wants £845 , so he can keep them . 

Thanks for the good wishes and heres hoping the sunshine comes early.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Careca said:

Panniers are discontinued. Trying to find a dealer who might have a nos set lying around, Found one in Spain of all places for Eur500 which is a very good price. Im trying to order them but think they are having a siesta again . Nos is a very good price indeedw the VFR is discontinued here , some dealers are selling off all their accessories/extras , clearing inventory and I  have picked up many parts @ less than half price. There is 1 dealer over here that has 5 sets of red panniers but he wants £845 , so he can keep them . 

500 euro is a very good price indeed, best I found here was $1175 with tax, and shipping included. I hope they reply

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Careca said:

Panniers are discontinued. Trying to find a dealer who might have a nos set lying around, Found one in Spain of all places for Eur500 which is a very good price. Im trying to order them but think they are having a siesta again . Now the VFR is discontinued here , some dealers are selling off all their accessories/extras , clearing inventory and I  have picked up many parts @ less than half price. There is 1 dealer over here that has 5 sets of red panniers but he wants £845 , so he can keep them . 

Have posted on bikers oracle. I have a set if you are interested victory red.

11 hours ago, fink said:

Thank you for that. I have accepted the Spanish offer . I need to see if they actually turn up. If they don't then I will be in touch . 

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Nat.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, fink said:

Thats a yes please..............drop me a line, thanks.

Archived