HOT RECTIFIER?

timc490310

I was changing the coolant on my newly acquired 2002 , only 7200 miles when I got it a couple weeks ago, and while getting the temp up to operating level I was looking at the rectifier and it was hot to touch. Is that normal ? It is the honda part, owner did not change anything except the recall on wiring up front. Thanks

• Member Contributer

It is designed to do that.

The altenator/generator produces alternating current (Vac) that the RR converts to direct current (Vdc).

The Ac output increases as the engine revs up; to some 75+Vac...  The RR restricts to output to some ~14.4Vdc to stop your 12V battery getting FUBAR'ed.

The excess current is "flamed off".....  ie converted into heat.

• Member Contributer

You’re best to install a Roadstercycle SH847 R/R Kit, ASAP. He offers an FH020 Kit, but, the SH847 is the one you want, as it’s Series circuitry and will help preserve your stator. The stator in your bike is a 1yr-only stator and no longer available from Honda. It’s worth the investment in the latest R/R technology to save what you have. 

Also, it’s advised to pull all the bodywork and go through every single connector, inspecting, cleaning, and applying something like Ox-Gard to them. I’d strongly consider going through the cooling system, replacing the thermostat, radiator cap, O-rings, and hoses (AS3 make a nice hose and clamp kit), swapping the fan blade to an outward blowing VTR blade, servicing the suspension, and flushing all the hydraulics. This will get all your regular maintenance and troublesome things out of the way. 

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, ducnut said:

You’re best to install a Roadstercycle SH847 R/R Kit, ASAP. He offers an FH020 Kit, but, the SH847 is the one you want, as it’s Series circuitry and will help preserve your stator. The stator in your bike is a 1yr-only stator and no longer available from Honda. It’s worth the investment in the latest R/R technology to save what you have. 

Also, it’s advised to pull all the bodywork and go through every single connector, inspecting, cleaning, and applying something like Ox-Gard to them. I’d strongly consider going through the cooling system, replacing the thermostat, radiator cap, O-rings, and hoses (AS3 make a nice hose and clamp kit), swapping the fan blade to an outward blowing VTR blade, servicing the suspension, and flushing all the hydraulics. This will get all your regular maintenance and troublesome things out of the way. 

:1:

• Member Contributer

I strongly advise you to leave the coolant hoses and thermostat well alone if it ain't broke..... :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Yup, shunt-type RR dumps excess power not used to ground. It doesn't care how much is going where, total always come to 100%

• Member Contributer

I'll just pile on with I just replaced the original R/R on my 2002, and the bike no longer smells like hot electrical wiring when it's running.  Worth preventing future problems.   

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, timc490310 said:

ShipFixer, what did you replace your r/r with? Looking at the vfrness and sh847

Tim, if you are going to replace the R/R now, the sh847 is a good way to go, but skip the Vfrness... I have 6th gen mounting plate kits for that.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, timc490310 said:

ShipFixer, what did you replace your r/r with? Looking at the vfrness and sh847

Do the Roadstercycle SH847 Kit with mello dude’s plate and be done with it. 

VFRness is a waste of time. 

• Member Contributer
On 11/21/2020 at 8:58 AM, ducnut said:

Do the Roadstercycle SH847 Kit with mello dude’s plate and be done with it. 

VFRness is a waste of time. 

yeah!

Archived