Happy Birthday Soichiro Honda...

• Member Contributer

Gone in 91 but never forgotten Happy Birthday...

Soichiro-Honda-5.jpg

I live in Japan 79 to 81 courtesy of the USAF... I was wearing my
Mugen Tee shirt while spectating at Mt Fuji racetrack... Hirotoshi
Honda #1 son of Soichiro Honda and president of Mugen walked up and
introduced himself... Together we traveled back to Tokyo on the
Shinkansen... I summed up my life long love and admiration for his Dad
by saying "cut my wrist and it will bleed Honda red"... Hirotoshi was
so taken that he asked his Dad for a meeting but the answer was "Gomen
nasai" (I'm sorry) health issues... Gone in 91 but never forgotten
Happy Birthday...

gallery_3131_51_35791.jpg

• Member Contributer

There is something special about Honda, a certain "something" - I can't put my finger on it.  IDK if it's design, the precision of machining, selection of materials, or maybe attention to detail in assembly . . . probably all of the above.  Whatever it is, to me it's noticeable.  I used to ride with a few guys one of which had an at-the-time new ZX-7.  Nice bike.  But for what ever reason it seemed he was always tightening things that worked loose or had other, small niggling problems.  At one fuel stop I noticed him fiddling with the chain guard - one of the retaining bolts was missing.  At the time I had my 4th gen and recall thinking "that would never happen on my VFR"  . . .  I bought my first Honda in 1987 before I got back in to riding - a Honda HR194 mower.  I still recall the television ads for it - at the end the female inspector would pull the rope and as it started would look up and say "ship it!"   I have it to this day.  In all the intervening years all I've done besides clean it and sharpen the blade at the end of each season is to change the oil, keep stabilized, non-ethanol fuel in it and inspect / replace the air filter.   About 5 years ago I removed the plug for the 1st time and upon inspection deemed it fine.    After sitting for the winter it needs 3 pulls for its first start, otherwise it's usually the 1st pull all summer long.  33 years of mowing and it still starts right up with the original spark plug.  Amazing.  Thank you Mr. Honda! 

5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

There is something special about Honda, a certain "something" - I can't put my finger on it.  IDK if it's design, the precision of machining, selection of materials, or maybe attention to detail in assembly . . . probably all of the above.  Whatever it is, to me it's noticeable.

I wish I could say the same about Honda automobiles.  Other than the Civic Type R, it seems like there is zero inspiration in the company's designs now.  It's like they're afraid to take chances, which is sad from a company which used to make great cars even some enthusiasts wanted.  But thankfully they're still making some kickass motorcycles.

Archived