86 VFR750 Inner Panel Reproduction

paul1of7

Wow those look great, one of mine is pretty well cracked so i've not wanted to install either side for fear of them just shattering. What's the pricing like on those?

Ahhh got it, yeah i'd be down for 1 set if under say 100 bucks? But really your best bet may be to reach out to the maker and get price ranges for batch sizes. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, paul1of7 said:

This prototype set cost me $300. I'm hoping to negotiate a better price on a batch of them.

That's why I was hoping to get a feel for how many people are interested, and at what price.

I love it when members do things like this to help the community.  I've got a number of mods obtained from the efforts of other members on the forum.  Good stuff.  :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I need to look at mine and see if they're as brittle as some of these other parts.  I have to decide whether I want to do the resto or pass it on to someone else.  This year has been a total mess with the covid running wild.  I'm in Elgin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

since you have model, can you convert it into mould?

Would lower cost of your time & materials. Then you can quickly make them out of fibreglass from mould. Just 2-3 layers and it's done! Could reasonably sell set for $200?

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Those look great - I really like the textured look.  Keep us posted on your negotiations.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

With Paul's help, I did a little research into getting these made.  The STIL files are NOT inexpensive and he spent a lot of his own money just to buy his first set of panels.  The cost to make them will never be $100-$130 unless you own a large 3D printer and do them for cost.  A pair like the ones he had made (which are beautiful) will cost at least $300 anywhere, plus shipping.

Unless someone here is willing to make the panels at cost for us, I don't think it's to Paul's advantage to give away (or even sell the cheaply) those expensive STIL files.

These are the type of NLA parts that just can't be reproduced cheaply without laying down a lot of cash up front.  Kudos to Paul for doing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived