multi-bike owners, any downsides to sharing a battery tender across bikes throughout the winter?

VifferJ

• Member Contributer

So I find myself going into this winter with more bikes then battery tenders, some of my bikes I don't ride in the crappy weather months of the PNW winters so I typically just leave them on a battery tender with some stabil in the fuel tank. Is there any downside in switching a tender back and fourth every other week between 2 bikes? I'd think it's ok but just curious if there's any downside or life-shortening to the battery itself, vs the tender cycling it automatically to maintain? Hope I'm asking this correctly, thx.

thumbnail_IMG_0649.jpg?width=1920&height

• Member Contributer

I haven't had any problems doing that. You really shouldn't be leaving battery on tender at 100% full-time float charge anyway. Should take them off and let them self-discharge back to 95%, then put back on charger to 99% like newer 8-stage chargers.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, DannoXYZ said:

I haven't had any problems doing that. You really shouldn't be leaving battery on tender at 100% full-time float charge anyway. Should take them off and let them self-discharge back to 95%, then put back on charger to 99% like newer 8-stage chargers.

Thanks for the reply, I thought the newer battery tenders don't remain at 100% all the time, that they "cycle" up and down which is from what I understood is "maintaining" the battery? Maybe I misunderstood this though? 

No, you understood correctly. No problem sharing battery tenders. When a battery is fully charged it should be no problem to leave it without a charger for a couple of weeks as long as the temp in your garage is not below freezing.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, V4 Rosso said:

No, you understood correctly. No problem sharing battery tenders. When a battery is fully charged it should be no problem to leave it without a charger for a couple of weeks as long as the temp in your garage is not below freezing.

Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear., thank you. 

One of these days I'd like to get one of those 5 or 10 bank setups but oh my they aren't cheap, and then what do I do with the single chargers I already have, good problems to have.

• Member Contributer

Crazy idea..... instead of buying multiple chargers, how 'bout making a setup with a HD multi switch (rotary? push button?). After the initial hook up.... just hit the switch from one to the next, dunno, mbe a week at a time...... 

Yep. Been sharing a battery tender for years now. No issues.

Totally agree with taking them off the charger to self discharge. I usually plug mine in every 2 weeks or so in the non riding (snow) season.

Got a fridge out there so I can have a beverage while I wait for them to charge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

I'd actually just read this recently for the first time.  I used to leave my VFR's tender hooked up through the whole winter, with no negative effects that I could tell later.  But with the new bike I'll be unplugging it for at least a few days each month, or maybe a couple days a week.  Our garage does get down close to freezing in the winter, but I'll still unplug the bike once in a while.  I probably need to set up reminders on the calendar in my phone just to remind myself!  :laugh:

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, mello dude said:

Crazy idea..... instead of buying multiple chargers, how 'bout making a setup with a HD multi switch (rotary? push button?). After the initial hook up.... just hit the switch from one to the next, dunno, mbe a week at a time...... 

Hey, that's good idea! Doesn't have to be big switch, you're looking at less than 1-amp current anyway. 🙂

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, VifferJ said:

thumbnail_IMG_0649.jpg?width=1920&height

Wow......very bad case of MBD you have there VifferJ! Lucky you. Registration fees, insurance etc just makes having a museum of motorcycles way too cost prohibitive here in Auz.

Looks like you've got all the right advice. AGM batteries are fine sitting idle provided they get a good charge every month or there abouts. If your batteries were Electrolyte Flooded, old style wet cells, you'd need to be more diligent.

Cycling your charger amongst all your toys is fine.

Cheers.

Archived