Rescuing a '91 VFR750F

Checking in from VA....I still have the VFR, ridden it a few more times, got a few more things sorted.  Only one recent stupid moment. 

Got the 750 out for a couple of 50 mile or so rides late summer, I really like the bike, a lot different than my ZRX1100 and ST1100.  Anyways pics to prove it happened and everybody likes pics...I have been using it to run errands and such.

IMG_6790.thumb.JPG.1d348fe81735186fbd62a100612982f0.JPG

IMG_6882.thumb.JPG.7d0bc1da6804b4e1b8c68746951735de.JPG

IMG_6795.thumb.JPG.c1db9427bcb91f5202ed5f4393233837.JPG

As far as continuing to get things sorted, after checking the spark plugs I went ahead and put the cooling fan back on the radiator, I didn't really need it for the rides I was doing so waited to re-install it after having it off while working on the engine.

The other thing that needed sorting was my lack of a working petcock situation.  Some may remember that my bike came with a gutted, missing pieces shell of a petcock so I was just using it as a way to get fuel from the tank but not to shut off the flow of fuel when removing the tank.

IMG_6852.thumb.JPG.37cef763fae12400e50b144b302d119b.JPG

It works great but I needed a way to shut off the fuel.  I looked at a few different inline options but didn't like any of them.  I thought about fitting a Pingel brand petcock to the tank but that option is pricy and would require I make an adapter plate.  While surfing the net I found an inline disconnect that goes in a fuel line and shuts off the flow when disconnected.  So far it has worked out well.....fits in the space and doesn't leak, flow rate is acceptable with an 1/4" ID.  A couple of pics, on the bench and then installed.

IMG_6834.thumb.JPG.85f4a25a187cf0d90f25bf3c31991069.JPG

IMG_6837.thumb.JPG.8bbd59fba47a5c6c519aa9fbcd50cc70.JPG

IMG_6849.thumb.JPG.1ef15c655e737442633acc8c5788e3d6.JPG

IMG_6859.thumb.JPG.c7cc197d58a8c95ab72e8753e846f69a.JPG

Oh and the stupid moment.....well that happens when you get ready to go for a ride, check your oil, coolant, tire pressure and then forget to put gas in the tank AND you don't have a working gas gauge because you had not yet procured a new fuel tank sending unit to replace the one that came on the bike that looked like it had been on the bottom of the North Atlantic with the Titanic.  The wife graciously rescued me and brought me gas but I really hated bothering her while relaxing.  Yea that was a dumb ass move.  Funny how you can forget to add gas as you get all excited to go for and start your ride, but it only takes a fraction of a second to realize what you didn't do as the bike coughs and stops running - OOPS.

I have since fixed this situation, replacing what I had that was basically just a blank off plate, with a functioning sending unit.

IMG_6823.thumb.JPG.49a4f46e7a8abf0cd79546f70477748a.JPG

IMG_6819.thumb.JPG.b7d7fc5d122fa9704b66007a50e86d77.JPG

Oh and the KBS gas tank sealer/liner I used is still holding up well.  Here is a pic.  The pinhead size bubbles are from my not doing the application 100% correct, bubbles appear where the coating ends up too think and the solvents are trying to gas off and weren't able to because of the thicker application.  I tried, I literally spent hours rotating and draining off excess sealer but it's hard not to get some build up.  You want to avoid bubbles because that is a place where the liner could break down, so far it has not, I am thinking it would only be a problem with large bubbles.  Anyway, again, the KBS product has done the job well in that it cleaned out the rust, prepped and then sealed the tank well.

IMG_6854.thumb.JPG.627a1e9addbeab5d0adec428ac5a655a.JPG

That's about it for me.  Once again if anyone wants to do a ride in the Shenandoah Valley there is still plenty of good Fall riding weather left so just send me a message or something, available most weekdays or weekends.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
51 minutes ago, Gebruiker said:

This is a really helpful thread! Please don't forget to add occasional comments and updates.

I agree, please add updates. Gives me some good ideas.  I really like the fuel quick disconnect!

• Member Contributer

The CPC fuel line quick disconnect is nice, but make sure you have the one with Viton o-rings (they make two types), as that is the only one that is fuel-rated.

Ciao,

JZH

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice thread and timely too. I recently purchase a 92 VFR and plan on going through it like you did with yours. The first thing I did was ditch the tank bra! Lol 1339549085_92VFR.thumb.jpg.c4699f0ab7612e0c3796f6fd3bb1ccef.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's beautiful. Any body bras are a mixed bag. I used to run them all on my olf FJs!

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, bmart said:

That's beautiful. Any body bras are a mixed bag. I used to run them all on my olf FJs!

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I love the Kerker on my CB-1. Lovely when I'm going through the mountains and there's a wall of earth on the right! Tunnels sound great too. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, bmart said:

I love the Kerker on my CB-1. Lovely when I'm going through the mountains and there's a wall of earth on the right! Tunnels sound great too. 

FYI, back in the 80ties in Germany, when you had a Kerker pipe on your bike, you were the baddest bad ass! It was like the "arrest me red!" Well, good old memories.

Archived