Rescuing a '91 VFR750F

Removed right side case cover and inspected clutch.....and the gasket did not tear!  Stayed 100% stuck to the engine side so I am expecting I won't need a new gasket.

Anyway, on some of my other bikes (can't remember which), you measure the complete stack of fiber and metal disks to determine wear.  On the VFR you just measure the individual fibers.  All were in spec, as were the springs.

IMG_5582.thumb.JPG.7ffa19fe2994fced2cd39b6b3546c8d9.JPG

IMG_5599.thumb.jpg.944bf83c3d0c34beaab02440c362c9fe.jpg

IMG_5601.thumb.jpg.b265f86d9adaa1c2739dd8433ea7eff2.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that catches me up to where I am today.  High level list of things left to do to the bike:

• install new K&L fuel pump just received
  • install the new FH022AA regulator/rectifier I received from Jack Flemming
  • install new Yuasa battery
  • install auxiliary power cord off of battery
  • replace neutral switch
  • clean gas tank and install
  • repack Yoshimura muffler
  • sync carbs
  • mount and balance new tires
  • repaint lower valance / body panels

And I'm still looking for a stock looking windscreen.  I ordered an ebay special but never received it, requesting a refund.

Thanks for looking!  Stay tuned.

• Member Contributer
On 12/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, mtnpat said:

repack Yoshimura muffler

I'm appreciating all your reports. If you can, please document your yosh repack. Mine has been not all that quiet since forever and I'd had it in my head to do this messy job.

I'd also found cheap packing at places that sell pottery ovens. Presumably(?) it's just as good as the official pricier stuff. Not sure about that. And now that I've said that, I'm not getting the vibe that you are trying to cut costs...I think Yoshimura will sell you packing too.

23 hours ago, Gebruiker said:

I'm appreciating all your reports. If you can, please document your yosh repack. Mine has been not all that quiet since forever and I'd had it in my head to do this messy job.

I'd also found cheap packing at places that sell pottery ovens. Presumably(?) it's just as good as the official pricier stuff. Not sure about that. And now that I've said that, I'm not getting the vibe that you are trying to cut costs...I think Yoshimura will sell you packing too.

I bought the “Elephant Brand Muff Pack Muffler Repacking Kit, Up to 15" Long Mufflers”.  It is a triple layer system starting with some screen, then steel wool and finally traditional muffler packing material. It was $30. 

I’ll post some pics when I tear into it.

Of the 8 screws (4 on each end) holding everything together, I already checked and 7 of the 8 came loose, 1 I will have to drill out or more likely cut a slot in with my Dremel for a large flat blade screwdriver. 

As with everything on this bike I have no idea the current condition of the muffler packing so I’m just going to redo it. I did get a hold of some maintenance and other information on this bike and it looks like it was really loved for a lot of years, like 15 or so, it’s the more recent history where it was not maintained and ridden. I actually have the name, address and phone number of the original owner, it might be nice to let him know if I can when it is back on the road 😀

• Member Contributer

If you havent put the clutch back together yet, I recommend getting some EBC clutch springs.  Even though yours measure in spec, the EBC are slightly stiffer and will improve feel and extend the life of the clutch.  They are like 10 bucks and with the hydraulic clutch the pull isnt really affected.

6 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

If you havent put the clutch back together yet, I recommend getting some EBC clutch springs.  Even though yours measure in spec, the EBC are slightly stiffer and will improve feel and extend the life of the clutch.  They are like 10 bucks and with the hydraulic clutch the pull isnt really affected.

Good idea.

Luckily the side case cover comes right back off easily and since the gasket is intact I could certainly do that!  Interestingly, I mentioned I found some maintenance records and on 2/12/95, at only 4 years old and with 16k miles, it says the clutch springs were replaced. Hmmm, this is the same time period when the Brembo brakes were installed and the Yoshimura exhaust can was added.  I would bet that when the clutch springs were replaced that it was done with Barnett or other aftermarket spring.  Still we are talking about 25 year old springs and I'm not saying they couldn't use replacement.  Bike has 35k miles on it now.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mtnpat said:

Good idea.

Luckily the side case cover comes right back off easily and since the gasket is intact I could certainly do that!  Interestingly, I mentioned I found some maintenance records and on 2/12/95, at only 4 years old and with 16k miles, it says the clutch springs were replaced. Hmmm, this is the same time period when the Brembo brakes were installed and the Yoshimura exhaust can was added.  I would bet that when the clutch springs were replaced that it was done with Barnett or other aftermarket spring.  Still we are talking about 25 year old springs and I'm not saying they couldn't use replacement.  Bike has 35k miles on it now.

The EBC kit comes with 6 springs (multiple fitments) and I have replaced 3 of 4 of my VFRs, a friend's, and one spare engine (that got installed on a frame swap).  I got the "Buy 5, Get One Free" deal.

Enjoyed your story and pictures, nice friend giving you that bike for your B-Day! Someone gave me a free complete motorcycle as a back-up parts bike which I ended up using everything from the wiring harness to the engine on my high mileage unit.

I have two of these generation 3 bikes. My 93 has the same pipe you have, interesting front brake set-up with the master cylinder. I have some EBC full floating rotors on my 91 that I bartered off labour on. Had my 91 since 95 bought with 4500 miles for $4500 and it has 82,000 now. 93 was bought for $500 with 15,000 miles and has 32,000 now (93 was brought home like your bike, on a trailer.)

It takes labour/love/money to properly resurrect a neglected or just a 30+ year old motorcycle period. I took my 93 on a 250 ride for my 55th birthday during the holiday Thanksgiving Holiday and it rode like a top, 90mph cruising with passing 135mph, maxed out for a little way 150mph. I still have to tell myself they are old bikes, but Honda did give us the beauty of the engine Rev range, so why not indulge it sensibly?

Good luck and keep on posting.

VFRGARAGE.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, ridervfr said:

Enjoyed your story and pictures, nice friend giving you that bike for your B-Day! Someone gave me a free complete motorcycle as a back-up parts bike which I ended up using everything from the wiring harness to the engine on my high mileage unit.

I have two of these generation 3 bikes. My 93 has the same pipe you have, interesting front brake set-up with the master cylinder. I have some EBC full floating rotors on my 91 that I bartered off labour on. Had my 91 since 95 bought with 4500 miles for $4500 and it has 82,000 now. 93 was bought for $500 with 15,000 miles and has 32,000 now (93 was brought home like your bike, on a trailer.)

It takes labour/love/money to properly resurrect a neglected or just a 30+ year old motorcycle period. I took my 93 on a 250 ride for my 55th birthday during the holiday Thanksgiving Holiday and it rode like a top, 90mph cruising with passing 135mph, maxed out for a little way 150mph. I still have to tell myself they are old bikes, but Honda did give us the beauty of the engine Rev range, so why not indulge it sensibly?

VFRGARAGE.jpg

What a beauty.  I've always wanted an unmolested '93.  :wub:

• Member Contributer
On 12/3/2020 at 7:42 PM, mtnpat said:

I bought the “Elephant Brand Muff Pack Muffler Repacking Kit, Up to 15" Long Mufflers”.  It is a triple layer system starting with some screen, then steel wool and finally traditional muffler packing material. It was $30. 

I’ll post some pics when I tear into it.

Of the 8 screws (4 on each end) holding everything together, I already checked and 7 of the 8 came loose, 1 I will have to drill out or more likely cut a slot in with my Dremel for a large flat blade screwdriver. 

As with everything on this bike I have no idea the current condition of the muffler packing so I’m just going to redo it. I did get a hold of some maintenance and other information on this bike and it looks like it was really loved for a lot of years, like 15 or so, it’s the more recent history where it was not maintained and ridden. I actually have the name, address and phone number of the original owner, it might be nice to let him know if I can when it is back on the road 😀

The original owner would probably be really happy to see his old ride still out there!

I found your repack kit on amazon. It apparently combines the ceramic blanket with steel wool. I wonder if the wool provides structure?

And I had to replace one or two of those screws myself. They were just missing. I found stainless replacements at the local hardware store. Nothing special.

Have fun. 🙂

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, ridervfr said:

I took my 93 on a 250 ride for my 55th birthday during the holiday Thanksgiving Holiday and it rode like a top, 90mph cruising with passing 135mph, maxed out for a little way 150mph. I still have to tell myself they are old bikes, but Honda did give us the beauty of the engine Rev range, so why not indulge it sensibly?

It never even crosses my mind to take it easy because of my bike's age (1992), although I can't say I've ever ridden above the legal speed limit. 🤔 Like old airplanes, I expect these to just run forever...

On 12/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, ridervfr said:

VFRGARAGE.jpg

I like that solid white bike, you just don't see too many white ones and I think it works well with the VFR 3rd gen styling.  Oh and cool to see the same exhaust on someone else's bike.

It was nice of my buddy to give me the bike as a birthday present......he actually said something like this is for 25 years of NOT buying you a birthday present.  He wasn't going to do anything with it and was at a point where he was trying to consolidate down to fewer vehicles and projects so getting it out of his way hopefully cleared his focus, also gave him back some garage space!  I have offered to build him a bike (with him) and I will ask again, I just can't do it at somebody else's garage without my tools.  My place isn't so bad, he should just come over.  He actually wants me to sell him my ZRX, but I keep trying to steer him towards a modern fuel-injected bike so he has no hassles.

You are right about it being a labor of love getting these older bikes back on the road, not everything is still available from Honda and well as you said they are 30 years old, stuff like hoses, switch and wires, seals and gaskets are approaching not doing there job as well anymore.  When I initially got this bike home and spent 5 minutes looking at it I could quickly count up $1000-1200 in parts it needed.  Tires, battery, chain and sprocket, carb overhaul, gas tank refurbish.  Oh and it needed a windscreen.  After getting into it I also discovered it was not charging, had a non-functioning fuel pump and broken or cut fuel lines, etc.  I'm at $1325 in parts right now and that should be it minus a small amount of primer and paint.  After I ride it, then I will decide what else I want to do like suspension, for now I just want (demand really) a safe and reliable bike.  I love my Honda ST1100 so much and it is a spectacular bike, I'm sure this one will be a winner too!

I will definitely need to find a place to break the speed limit, by a lot!  I hate having a fast bike and not being able to use all that power and speed.  I am fortunate to have a ton of twisty fun roads, but no safe places to do top speed runs without risking going to jail.  I am thinking some track days at Summit Point Raceway in nearby West by god Virginia are in order!  

8 hours ago, Gebruiker said:

Have fun. 🙂

Thank you, I am.  Having a project and something to get away from it all in the garage really helps.

I'm working on installing the new regulator/rectifier (in a new location) and troubleshooting a neutral switch/circuit issue.  PICs when done.

22 hours ago, mtnpat said:

I like that solid white bike, you just don't see too many white ones and I think it works well with the VFR 3rd gen styling.  Oh and cool to see the same exhaust on someone else's bike.

It was nice of my buddy to give me the bike as a birthday present......he actually said something like this is for 25 years of NOT buying you a birthday present.  He wasn't going to do anything with it and was at a point where he was trying to consolidate down to fewer vehicles and projects so getting it out of his way hopefully cleared his focus, also gave him back some garage space!  I have offered to build him a bike (with him) and I will ask again, I just can't do it at somebody else's garage without my tools.  My place isn't so bad, he should just come over.  He actually wants me to sell him my ZRX, but I keep trying to steer him towards a modern fuel-injected bike so he has no hassles.

You are right about it being a labor of love getting these older bikes back on the road, not everything is still available from Honda and well as you said they are 30 years old, stuff like hoses, switch and wires, seals and gaskets are approaching not doing there job as well anymore.  When I initially got this bike home and spent 5 minutes looking at it I could quickly count up $1000-1200 in parts it needed.  Tires, battery, chain and sprocket, carb overhaul, gas tank refurbish.  Oh and it needed a windscreen.  After getting into it I also discovered it was not charging, had a non-functioning fuel pump and broken or cut fuel lines, etc.  I'm at $1325 in parts right now and that should be it minus a small amount of primer and paint.  After I ride it, then I will decide what else I want to do like suspension, for now I just want (demand really) a safe and reliable bike.  I love my Honda ST1100 so much and it is a spectacular bike, I'm sure this one will be a winner too!

I will definitely need to find a place to break the speed limit, by a lot!  I hate having a fast bike and not being able to use all that power and speed.  I am fortunate to have a ton of twisty fun roads, but no safe places to do top speed runs without risking going to jail.  I am thinking some track days at Summit Point Raceway in nearby West by god Virginia are in order!  

I look at things a little different than other people, that being said, I have not bought a new new motorcycle since 1993 and that bike cost $3999 (the good old days.) So, my used 1991 used VFR with 4000+ miles cost me $4500 26-27 years ago and I am still running it (can you say, "Ahead of the game?") That particular bike I have bought things without looking at prices so much (I get things at 10% over dealer cost and have Fun funds set aside on Ebay.) Without getting into networth ect it is cheap to keep an older bike on the road compared to buying a 15,000 dollar Busa or some other higher dollar new bike (which could possibly get me into trouble here.) BTW I do ride fast here and have a clean zero point license (hope I dont jinx myself LOL.)

When you get a new used bike its pretty automatic that your going to have to lay out some cash for a least tyres, battery, and other ancillary stuff. My 93 had a dead regulator/rectifier out of the box, it had new tyres and chain and sprockets on it (bad master link that was replaced at a cost of ten dollars.) You get the picture, I am not penurious when it comes to spending money on these bikes because once your done, you have something that (sounds like a cliche) you can't buy for money. The build quality of these bikes is really good, they did not cheap out what-so-ever. I like what you did with the fuel lines and how you repaired the tatty carburetor plastic tray. I was able to get OEM replacement fuel lines when I needed them and ended up getting Samco radiator hoses from the UK for both of my bikes.

I did club level racing here in South FL when I first moved down here, did a light weight sportsman and a heavy weight sportsman class. Had fun, they did not have track days when I was involved with it. If I was going to do a track day, one of my VFRs would be the last bikes I would go out on, (and this is where my head is) if you even have a low side accident on one of these bikes, you basically going to be screwed for parts. Plus one of these bikes that I own is called, "First Wife" can you imagine flogging your poor first wife on a track day? I think not LOL. I would get a dedicated track bike if you wanted to go that route, Ninja something or other or maybe a nice 600cc inline 4.

On 12/6/2020 at 9:25 PM, ridervfr said:

I like what you did with the fuel lines and how you repaired the tatty carburetor plastic tray. I was able to get OEM replacement fuel lines when I needed them and ended up getting Samco radiator hoses from the UK for both of my bikes.

I ended up having to remove the inline petcock I was planning to use, because, of course I didn't check to see if the rear cowling and seat would fit with it at that location.  It doesn't.  I did however get the OEM style clamps installed everywhere though.  I need to get a petcock that bolts right to the tank, either OEM or a Pingel with adapter.  The one I have now was missing parts and not rebuildable.   For now while just getting the bike going, I will just use what I have and be careful when I take the tank off and on and it has gas in it.

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.2ce0e8b1901ee8fca661c7e98974215f.JPG

I also installed a new fuel pump because the one that was on the bike was looking pretty corroded.  While you can buy fuel pumps for this bike for $25-40, I decided to go with the one sold by K&L because it is made in Japan the same as the OEM was and I'm feeling the build quality will be just a bit better, it costs quite a bit more than $40 but less than an original if you can find one.  The K&L has the same exact Mitsubishi symbol on the bottom as the pump I took off, I can't say for sure if it was the one that came on the bike from Honda or not but there was nothing in the maintenance records about it being replaced.

IMG_5657.thumb.JPG.cb24872b7889baf6287d3b63f9d9f635.JPG

I recently bought a new voltage regulator/rectifier and installed it.  I went with a genuine FH020AA from Roadstercycle.  When I got the bike it was not charging the battery at all, nothing.  It was also ooozing a bit of its insides, outside from probably overheating.  It was the original style regulator/rectifier.  While you can buy inexpensive (read as cheap) R/Rs, from what I have seen in the reviews they are a waste of money.  I went with a product that is known to be excellent quality with quick and easy customer service.

Copying what Hingley did (March 2019 post on this forum), I chose to not mount my new Shindengen R/R at the stock location, instead I made a bracket and placed it behind the rear brake fluid reservoir.  Great idea Hingley!

The FH020AA is quite a bit larger that the stock style R/R and while you can fit it at the stock location it is a tight fit and rubs the body work.  I tried it several ways and did not like it, in the end decided to move it back where there is a ton of room.  I mean it is a cavernous space comparatively.  Mounting further back mirrors the location of the ECU on the other side.

I cut a bracket out of 1/4" aluminum and while it is overkill for holding this electronic part in place I wanted it so that I had adequate thickness for tapping M6 size holes to mount the R/R.  The bracket itself bolts into the 2 existing M8 size holes already tapped in the subframe.  I have not fired the bike yet to see the voltage being supplied yet.  I did test the stator before replacing the R/R and it is believed to be good.  Will report back when I do.

IMG_5561.thumb.jpg.98269651ec770bab87123a370d22f1f6.jpg

IMG_5600.thumb.jpg.f25f4a72fc066d971e4bd137190ed314.jpg

IMG_5614.thumb.JPG.d9ee5d0775ad04061860c79b37c38b1c.JPG

IMG_5649.thumb.JPG.e5cb84512ab0bf2d2822f1067cdf4b9f.JPG

IMG_5651.thumb.JPG.744823c00f52574044b895b1aaf1ea62.JPG

On 12/6/2020 at 9:25 PM, ridervfr said:

If I was going to do a track day, one of my VFRs would be the last bikes I would go out on, (and this is where my head is) if you even have a low side accident on one of these bikes, you basically going to be screwed for parts. Plus one of these bikes that I own is called, "First Wife" can you imagine flogging your poor first wife on a track day? I think not LOL. I would get a dedicated track bike if you wanted to go that route, Ninja something or other or maybe a nice 600cc inline 4.

I'm with you, there are much better track bikes.  But I'm not wanting a track bike as much as I want to ride my bike at the track.  Just want a place to be able to open her up without worrying about inattentive drivers, deer or bear jumping out in front of me.  So it's either take it to the drag strip or a road course.  Just want to haul ass with a wee bit more safety.  I am blessed to have hundreds of miles of twisty fun mountain roads where I live but few places where you can pin it in top gear!

Went for a ride Friday!

No, not on the VFR, not yet.  Instead took out the Kawasaki for the last ride of the year before topping off the gas tank and covering her up for the Winter.  I was riding through a local small town, in a 25 MPH zone just crossed some railroad tracks, looking around I see a family sitting on the front porch of their house, maybe a grandmother and a couple of small boys.  One of the boys gives me the "twist the throttle" gesture so I pulled in the clutch and gave them a blast with the Kerker, he seemed to appreciate it!  Obviously a motorcycle fan. 👍

IMG_5681.JPG.4bc0982b51b2c5a13a8cf92c3ea41b42.JPG

• Member Contributer

On 12/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, ridervfr said:

If I was going to do a track day, one of my VFRs would be the last bikes I would go out on, (and this is where my head is) if you even have a low side accident on one of these bikes, you basically going to be screwed for parts. Plus one of these bikes that I own is called, "First Wife" can you imagine flogging your poor first wife on a track day? I think not LOL. I would get a dedicated track bike if you wanted to go that route, Ninja something or other or maybe a nice 600cc inline 4.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:11 PM, mtnpat said:

I'm with you, there are much better track bikes.  But I'm not wanting a track bike as much as I want to ride my bike at the track.  Just want a place to be able to open her up without worrying about inattentive drivers, deer or bear jumping out in front of me.  So it's either take it to the drag strip or a road course.  Just want to haul ass with a wee bit more safety.  I am blessed to have hundreds of miles of twisty fun mountain roads where I live but few places where you can pin it in top gear!

Yeah, there are many ways to enjoy racetrack. Practice and skills improvement is one way. You don't have to go all out racer-type at all for it to be beneficial. I took my VF500 to track starting way back in '90s and have always been a little apprehensive. That's why I never got into racing. But it did make me much, much better rider on street.

Then couple years ago, I saw used Ninja-250 race-bike going for next to nothing. Its lightness and responsiveness bumped me off wall I've been sitting on and it's been just a blast racing, I wished I had done it sooner. 

11 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

Yeah, there are many ways to enjoy racetrack. Practice and skills improvement is one way. You don't have to go all out racer-type at all for it to be beneficial. I took my VF500 to track starting way back in '90s and have always been a little apprehensive. That's why I never got into racing. But it did make me much, much better rider on street.

Then couple years ago, I saw used Ninja-250 race-bike going for next to nothing. Its lightness and responsiveness bumped me off wall I've been sitting on and it's been just a blast racing, I wished I had done it sooner. 

Yep, I've been riding for 35+ years but guarantee I could learn a lot from an instructor in an organized session.

A lightweight well setup bike is sooo much fun.  I used to have a set of super moto wheels and tires on my KLX, that thing was scary fun in corners, all 35 HP.  It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow 😉.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, mtnpat said:

Went for a ride Friday!

One of the boys gives me the "twist the throttle" gesture so I pulled in the clutch and gave them a blast with the Kerker, he seemed to appreciate it!  Obviously a motorcycle fan. 👍

Many Dutch boys are the same.....  But the VF500F2 or OEM 4th gen are far less impressive than the RC51....

Old men give me the thumbs up if I putput past on my Gilera.... :laugh:

• Member Contributer
On 12/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, mtnpat said:

Went for a ride Friday!

No, not on the VFR, not yet.  Instead took out the Kawasaki for the last ride of the year before topping off the gas tank and covering her up for the Winter.  I was riding through a local small town, in a 25 MPH zone just crossed some railroad tracks, looking around I see a family sitting on the front porch of their house, maybe a grandmother and a couple of small boys.  One of the boys gives me the "twist the throttle" gesture so I pulled in the clutch and gave them a blast with the Kerker, he seemed to appreciate it!  Obviously a motorcycle fan. 👍

This is one of my favorite bikes ever, some day I would like to have one.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:01 PM, mtnpat said:

I recently bought a new voltage regulator/rectifier and installed it.  I went with a genuine FH020AA from Roadstercycle.  When I got the bike it was not charging the battery at all, nothing.  It was also ooozing a bit of its insides, outside from probably overheating.  It was the original style regulator/rectifier.  While you can buy inexpensive (read as cheap) R/Rs, from what I have seen in the reviews they are a waste of money.  I went with a product that is known to be excellent quality with quick and easy customer service.

Copying what Hingley did (March 2019 post on this forum), I chose to not mount my new Shindengen R/R at the stock location, instead I made a bracket and placed it behind the rear brake fluid reservoir.  Great idea Hingley!

The FH020AA is quite a bit larger that the stock style R/R and while you can fit it at the stock location it is a tight fit and rubs the body work.  I tried it several ways and did not like it, in the end decided to move it back where there is a ton of room.  I mean it is a cavernous space comparatively.  Mounting further back mirrors the location of the ECU on the other side.

I cut a bracket out of 1/4" aluminum and while it is overkill for holding this electronic part in place I wanted it so that I had adequate thickness for tapping M6 size holes to mount the R/R.  The bracket itself bolts into the 2 existing M8 size holes already tapped in the subframe.  I have not fired the bike yet to see the voltage being supplied yet.  I did test the stator before replacing the R/R and it is believed to be good.  Will report back when I do.

IMG_5561.thumb.jpg.98269651ec770bab87123a370d22f1f6.jpg

IMG_5600.thumb.jpg.f25f4a72fc066d971e4bd137190ed314.jpg

IMG_5614.thumb.JPG.d9ee5d0775ad04061860c79b37c38b1c.JPG

IMG_5649.thumb.JPG.e5cb84512ab0bf2d2822f1067cdf4b9f.JPG

IMG_5651.thumb.JPG.744823c00f52574044b895b1aaf1ea62.JPG

Are you sure the RR will not be in contact with the tail fairing? At least, this sounds more elegant than my own version ;-)

Archived