• Member Contributer

Just don't trash the (increasingly rare and valuable!) parts you don't want, That would be a waste.  

As the pics upthread clearly show, the 3rd gen frame has a big, ugly feature that is very hard to deal with when using anything other than the OEM rear cowling.  That's why you really wouldn't want to start from a 3rd gen if you were planning a tidy custom bike--but maybe that's why they're cheaper than 4th gens!

Good luck with it.

Ciao,

JZH

I just added some 'glamor' shots to post two with the other pics.

You can see it isn't perfect but it also wasn't trashed or anything.

The seller said the tank pad started to come off and when removing it, took the original paint with it...

• Member Contributer

That's why I posted those pics, it's your bike, and your money, you should enjoy it the way you see fit. (Although that one made from license plates is an abortion) No one complained when Apex Andy, or Sebspeed made streetfighters out of their bikes. This guy riding the red VFR off road doesn't look like he has any regrets either...

VFR OFFROAD1.jpg

• Member Contributer

OP. welcome to the forums.  Looking forward to what you end up doing to your bike.  

It is your bike, do what you will with it.  Some people will always have their opinions but I can appreciate the efforts that you are and will be going through to make this project yours.

I get that there are purists that want to just leave their bikes bone stock.  More power to them.  Then there are those that like to tinker, to fabricate, to do what they want to THEIR own bike.  Go for it and good luck!

• Member Contributer
On 11/15/2020 at 4:34 AM, JZH said:

As the pics upthread clearly show, the 3rd gen frame has a big, ugly feature that is very hard to deal with when using anything other than the OEM rear cowling.  That's why you really wouldn't want to start from a 3rd gen if you were planning a tidy custom bike--but maybe that's why they're cheaper than 4th gens!

How insensitive! My fat butt 3rd gen looks just fine from certain angle, in a certain light. Was that design a structural thing? I think I've seen some modified tails on them. Presumably welding is involved. Can a 4th gen tail be swapped in?

• Member Contributer

The tail fairings are nearly the same (rounded on the later bikes, flat on the earlier ones); I was referring to the sides of the frame to which the rear subframe attaches.  The 4th gen has no big, sculpted castings (much more like the RC30/RC45 in that respect).

Ciao,

JZH

Build is on a slight hold. Really want to get my lift table ordered, the tires keep getting delayed from being shipped and I want to build a dyno. With all the other projects I have, I really need to knock some other stuff out first.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:50 AM, EnduringGuerila said:

Build is on a slight hold. Really want to get my lift table ordered, the tires keep getting delayed from being shipped and I want to build a dyno. With all the other projects I have, I really need to knock some other stuff out first.

build a dyno ???  🤨 you're gonna need some serious credentials for that.

2 hours ago, squirrelman said:

build a dyno ???  🤨 you're gonna need some serious credentials for that.

Why's that? All dynos put out different numbers anyway, I just need something good enough to accurately test different jets on several bikes I have and tunes if I buy a power commander for my CBR. Even my xr250r has a big bore kit in it (from previous owner) and it doesn't feel perfect yet.

A dyno can be built for fairly cheap and the software is open source. My roommate is a better programmer than I am and should be able to help if I have any bugs or desired improvements. As long as the output is consistent and repeatable, it should be a significant help.

• Member Contributer

Homemade dynos have been done. 

https://advrider.com/f/threads/diy-dyno-build.914170/

I ran across another guy's blog that built one just to tune his Ninja 250 Turbo.

http://swarfman64.blogspot.com/2015/01/motorcycle-inertia-dyno.html?m=1

Or you can get wideband with on-board memory and datalogging. I recommend the TechEdge unit.

Good to have another VFR person in the Springs!  I'm in a similar situation where I picked up a 3rd Gen bike that I wanted to strip down and modify.  I sold alot of my fairings and pieces.  To me that was a win-win, I'm stripping off things I don't want and people restoring their bikes get good pieces to put their bikes back together.  I will say with every piece I took off the bike it started to come more and more alive.  As they say, the best way to increase a bike's performance is to lose weight.  

I wanted a VFR because I love a V4 engine but I can't afford an Aprilia RSV4.  I did not want a VFR for its looks.

Best of luck with you bike!

12 hours ago, davfr said:

Good to have another VFR person in the Springs!  I'm in a similar situation where I picked up a 3rd Gen bike that I wanted to strip down and modify.  I sold alot of my fairings and pieces.  To me that was a win-win, I'm stripping off things I don't want and people restoring their bikes get good pieces to put their bikes back together.  I will say with every piece I took off the bike it started to come more and more alive.  As they say, the best way to increase a bike's performance is to lose weight.  

I wanted a VFR because I love a V4 engine but I can't afford an Aprilia RSV4.  I did not want a VFR for its looks.

Best of luck with you bike!

Thanks man, maybe we could go for a ride together some time!

Another update..... Bike Bandit still hasn't shipped the damn tires.

Archived