Battery Drain, Already Replaced Stator and Regulator

max13456

Hey all,

I keep having the classic problem with 6th gen VFRs. Even though I replaced the battery, stator, and regulator, there is a battery drain. I have no idea what else could be causing the drain. If anyone else had this problem, please give me some suggestions for what I should check. 

Thanks,

• Member Contributer

As a fault-finding suggestion, I'd suggest you get a multimeter set to current, remove all your fuses and then use the MM to bridge each set of fuses to see which circuit is causing the drain. That would at least narrow your search down some. 

• Member Contributer

Further to what Terry suggested and assuming you have no added wiring. The R/R and clock circuit are the only items that should have power to them with ignition to off.

Try unplugging your main connection to the R/R for a while see what that does, or place your multi meter in series with the battery negative lead to read current. Maximum leakage current with ignition Off is 2.5ma for a 6gen.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

You actually haven't found the fault yet. So replacing perfectly-working parts with brand-new perfectly-working parts will change nothing. You can keep on replacing parts until you randomly get lucky and find the one specific component's that bad. That gets expensive and you end up with tonnes of spares you won't need for a long time, if ever.

So simple way is to first identify drain amount, then identify specific circuit that has drain (where the drain is occurring):

1. disconnect battery-negative cable.

2. set meter to 10-amp range and put negative probe on battery's negative terminal

3. connect meter's positive probe to disconnected battery-cable. It will now form bridge to battery and measure all current flowing (the drain).

4. read meter-output and post here. How many amps are flowing?

5. then, unplug fuses one by one while looking at meter reading.

6. when meter-reading drops to zero, you've unplugged fuse going to faulty circuit. Which fuse is this?

Sometimes, depending upon where short is, it might not be part of fused circuit and you'll have drain with all fuses removed. Then we test circuits directly to find short.

• 3 weeks later...

My battery was running down as well, new battery . I would put the maintainer on and would take all day to charge up to full and after checking every couple hours I disconnected the battery, fully charged it and checked the volts every few hours and it kept dropping. I had ordered the battery online, emailed them and told them it doesn't hold a charge. It went from 13.6 volts fully charged down to 12.3 over a day. No questions asked battery is on the way , My ST1300 , if I put on the maintainer is fully charged in a few hours. And thats sitting for a week or 2. My tractor, I checked the volts on that and hasn't moved down in 2 weeks. Might just be the battery, my 2 cents.

Archived