Good chance I'm leaving VFRD - bike was stolen last week

Rollos

• Member Contributer

Hi Rollos.

That's bloody terrible, really feel for you mate, I know you loved that 8gen. Any insurance? And if you did have insurance would you be able to pick up another one? Hope the police may be able to help you, any chance there may be some form of security camera footage you could get hold of? Hope they catch the bastards and cut their f...ing hands off, no sympathy for these pricks.

All the best Rollos hope you get the bike back or something to replace it.

Good Luck.

Regards.

• Member Contributer

Once your insurance clears fly out to the west coast and grab a new old stock VFR from Portland, then have an epic ride back!

Seriously though that sucks, I feel for you.

Have the same bike. I have to take the chance of thievery seriously.

Will be more diligent in keeping it in sight when parked, though it's stuck in the garage til at least April

Spoiler

• Member Contributer

Dude, you don't have to leave the site. You may want to get another VFR. Maybe a a little older one. 

Super sorry to hear about it, though. My 1990 got stolen in 91. Savages did it by candlelight (I'm guessing, as there was candle wax all over the gas tank and triples). They put 121 miles on her and dumped her out by a lake outside of Raleigh NC. It was found by the Sherriff department two days later, but they didn't contact me for the two longest weeks of my life (at that time...). Insurance paid to fix her up. They wouldn't do that anymore these days - 10k worth of damage on a $7200 bike. She lived with her original motor until October of 2000, and that motor broke the day we rolled over the speedometer back to 00000. A donor motor from a 91 was placed in March 01, and got to 03 before the electrical Gremlins came back. She is with a VFRD member now, up near you - in the Catskills, being rejuvenated and refreshed. I hear her front legs have grown to 51mm, and flipped topsy turvey so they look upside down! She has 6 pot brakes now too. Soon the planets will align, and we will bring her back to life! New legs, magic legs! shiny bits, and a nice new red dress from Italy.  

Moral of the story: keep dreaming. (as the song says "keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart..."). Mine will be ready soon from Sebspeed Customs. So keep on dreaming. Keep moving, but don't try and forget these good people. If the VFR got you, it's not easy to forget, as she does so much well, she is addicting. Not the fastest, but plenty fast. Not the prettiest, but dang the girls like them.  And Wheelies...

Chin up, mate!

• Member Contributer

That is awful. Sorry to hear about your loss. I know it would put some serious hurt on my feelings. Hopefully you'll get an insurance settlement and be back on two wheels before you know it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. I'll be back after all. Cops found my bike in the bronx. Going to pick it up monday. Looks like some kids hot wired it and broke the gas tank lock so they could joy ride for a month. Cops said it still looks good.

Just got an alarm to make it less likely to happen again.

• Member Contributer

Great news Rollos. I hope whatever damage is done can be easily returned to new state, will insurance (if you have it) cover repair costs? Did the cops catch the bastards?

They would have no doubt broken the steering lock as well.

Just thinking, you could wire in a simple on/off switch hidden under the seat cowl that is wired in series with the ESR coil (Engine Stop Relay coil). This would effectively lock out all EFI and Fuel Pump ops.

If my own bike didn't have the HISS system, then I would probably install the switch myself.

Good luck with everything. And welcome back.

Nope, bastards are still out there. I was thinking the same thing with the kill switch. Apparantly scorpio alarm makes one that ties into their system that costs just $20 and is triggered remotely. 

I'm hoping that the damage os minimal but won't know until i have eyes on it. 

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the retrieval.  Even if they caught the perps, likely they'll face nothing more than the cops taking their names and letting them go.  Maybe it filters in to the crime stats.  In the U.S. you have a vastly higher probability of seeing court for speeding or stopping in a crosswalk.  Property crimes go virtually un-punished now.  Sad reality, but that's the way it is in modern America. 

• Member Contributer

it's even worse if you know the perps. Then cops don't even consider it a crime. They say it's civil matter and you have to take them to small-claims court to collect.

• Member Contributer

Glad you're going to get her back. I had a car stolen years ago when I was in the hospital after a car accident, both my vehicles gone in a week, it really sucked. 

Get a good lock and cable from home depot and lock her to something solid. Mine all live in my garage, but when i go on vacation I lock them all together, and put the cables through my car wheels. I know it won't prevent 100% of theft, but it will slow down, or stop most of them.

• Member Contributer

It would definitely ruin my week if my machine got stolen.  Especially if I was on a road trip.  What a nightmare that would be, stuck somewhere potentially thousands of miles from home.

Since my bike lives in a garage when home, my biggest dread is on the road.  For that,  I started packing a good quality rain cover and install it before lights out.  Covered up, it becomes less visible/desirable and it is nice to not have morning dew/rain on it when ready to ride.   In the last couple years I started using a alarmed rotor lock in addition to the cover.  It is pretty loud when it goes off.  Then I try to get a motel room that is next to where my bike is.  I sleep a little better this way. 

I wish i had something to chain it down to. Where I am in Brooklyn it's street only parking and you never get the same spot twice. Hopefully a sturdy disc lock and an alarm system keeps it where i put it. 

• Member Contributer

I am sure that there are security systems with discreet GPS trackers you could install.   It would make it a little easier to find if it does go missing again.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Fritzer said:

I am sure that there are security systems with discreet GPS trackers you could install.   It would make it a little easier to find if it does go missing again.

Here is a link to a "10 best alarm/gps tracker review".  Amazingly cheap security options.

https://antitheftboss.com/best-motorcycle-alarm-systems-with-gps/

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke too soon. Insurance totalled my bike. I just got the notification. Now i need to turn over the keys this weekend. Dm me if you want some gen8 side cases. Need to figure out how to pull the lock cylinders because my keys are going with the bike

• Member Contributer

Did they give you the salvage value?  If it's low maybe buy it back from them and use any net proceeds from settlement to DIY repairs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I really like Cogswell suggestion to buy the bike back. After my second deer crash I asked the adjuster if he'd value the bike just under the totaled value. He said he'd be happy to do that; that they really do not like to have a totaled machine because of the red tape involved. The machine has become a parts donor to one of my other bikes and to several VFRD members.

You have my sympathy for your parking situation. I hope you come out if this with minimum losses.

Archived