Poor Fueling/ Jerky Throttle Response from Closed to Open

Bor

Hello all, hopefully you have some advise. I have a 2010 VFR1200F with about 10,000 miles on it. I have a BMC air filter and a Dam slip on. I had the ECU flashed by Don Guhl. The bike lurches badly when closing the throttle and then re-opening it. I think this is the "fuel cut" feature that is programed into the ECU? Is there any way to stop this from happening?  Would a Power Commander PCV and dyno tune help? Does anyone know of a good place to get the bike dyno tuned within driving distance of southern Connecticut? Thanks

• Member Contributer

Perhaps you should contact Guhl as they state they eliminate the fuel cut.... did that really happen?  It should also have altered the fuel maps such that you don't need to do anything else like adding PCV's.  I have nothing to suggest but contact them, tell them you're not happy.

The only other thing I can suggest is reducing the throttle cable freeplay to near zero so you have better control of it.

I have a 2010 vfr1200DCT with about 12000 miles on it and I don't have the problem that you are having. It may be because of the dual clutch trans which is so smooth that you don't even feel the shifts. Even when I'm in manual mode using the paddle shifters and and I get on and off the throttle I don't get any lurching. Did you have your problem before you had Guhl flash your ECU?  I've been thinking about sending my ECU to Guhl, but not if it resulted in your problem. I don't think cable free free play is a solution because the bike has throttle by wire which is not a manual system.  Other than the lurching problem, was there a noticeable performance difference after the ECU was flashed?

I spoke to Don Guhl and he said that everything had been done to my ECU. He said adding fuel at the lower throttle openings may help. Throttle free play is minimal.

• Member Contributer

I have all those mods to my bike and felt the same way for a long time. Then my right wrist got "calibrated". My RC51 was worse, especially at low rpm's.

After riding every day for three years, and 22 track days, I no longer notice it on any bike, and have put 1/8 turn throttle on the RC51.

Give it some time, you will develop the correct muscle memory....

Archived