Lights on?

Pipthechip

hi can anyone help!

had both wheels out for tyre replacement 2014 vfr800! Replaced wheels ,go for ride to scrub tyres in  ! 

Both traction control lights on when turning tc off also ABS light stays on !and self canceling indicators no longer self cancel!

is this coincidence or do I have to reset something after this task ?

any help greatly appreciated! Thanks pipthechip

I don't really know the answer, but I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, and please don't take offense at this.  Was the front wheel re-installed correctly?  The wheel is directional, so if it was mounted backwards I think it's possible it might cause those issues since the ABS ring would be on the wrong side.

• Member Contributer

Good point TimC think you've nailed it. Looking at my 8gen it appears the front wheel could be fitted in either direction.

Auto blinkers, Traction control and ABS require the wheel sensors to be working. Like you say the wheel could be fitted wrong direction also meaning the tyre might have also been fitted in the wrong direction, or possibly the wheel sensor has not been properly fitted.

And No, there is nothing to "reset after the task".

The 8gen front wheel removal procedure states to remove the wheel sensor pickup, but its really not required to be removed for front wheel removal.

Note in the photo the Arrow for direction of rotation this should be on the Right side along with the ABS ring.

Pipthechip Please keep us posted with whatever you find.

20201011_083219.jpg

Hi thanks all of you ,yep tyre put on wrong sided ,had it turned round,yesterday,have not he’d chance to try as yet but will

see how it goes and let you all know ! Many thanks to you all for the tips ,I should have noticed pick up ring was on right side 😤

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, lazyeye said:

That's an impressive fuckup for a tech to make.

But these days unfortunately,  not particularly surprising.

This kind of thing is why I do all my own work and mount tires - the quality of workmanship at so many shops has gone to crap. 

Once finished I'd check the tire to confirm it"s oriented correctly - that is,  the arrow on the tire is pointing in the direction of rotation.   I'll bet he mounted the tire backwards and when he installed the wheel,  he put the wheel on backwards to make the tire oriented properly.  :wacko:

• Member Contributer

I take my wheels to a local shop and usually watch them mount and balance. Not that I don't trust them, but they're cool and usually we talk about stuff while they're doing it.

Every month I hear a horror story about someone messing up badly with a bike. Sucks that even dealerships can't seem to find and keep good techs around.

Hi guys ,yep all back to normal now ! To be honest I should have noted this myself and informed tyre fitter of abs ring sensor side but didn’t give it a thought ! Lesson learned 😂 this is my first VFR’s and apart from the front end being a little bit hard ,I really love it ! Thanks to you all for your input !nice to know there is help out there! Cheers guys!!

22 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

But these days unfortunately,  not particularly surprising.

This kind of thing is why I do all my own work and mount tires - the quality of workmanship at so many shops has gone to crap. 

Once finished I'd check the tire to confirm it"s oriented correctly - that is,  the arrow on the tire is pointing in the direction of rotation.   I'll bet he mounted the tire backwards and when he installed the wheel,  he put the wheel on backwards to make the tire oriented properly.  :wacko:

I don't have a tire changer at home, but I usually take the wheels off and take them into a shop to have new tires mounted.  Before leaving the shop I always make sure the directionals are correct.

9 minutes ago, Pipthechip said:

Hi guys ,yep all back to normal now ! To be honest I should have noted this myself and informed tyre fitter of abs ring sensor side but didn’t give it a thought ! Lesson learned 😂 this is my first VFR’s and apart from the front end being a little bit hard ,I really love it ! Thanks to you all for your input !nice to know there is help out there! Cheers guys!!

Glad you got it sorted out quickly and easily!  🙂

Archived