2016 & 2017 Honda ST1300 Police bikes

TimC

Just in case anyone would be interested...

I stopped at the local Big 4 dealer near Akron, OH, this afternoon to shop for a couple small items, and found they recently got 2-3 *new* Honda ST1300s.  But they aren't exactly normal bikes; they were designed to be police bikes, They bikes look fairly normal but have a solo rider seat and a "hump" instead of a pillion seat.  There were two on the sales floor, one white, and one white with black side fairings.  These bikes are loaded, brand new with 36-month warranties, and priced at $10K each.

Doing a little more research, I found there are more of these around the country, usually priced at $11K.  

I don't normally post stuff like this, but I know many of us like the STs due to having V4 engines, and I just wanted to pass the information along for anyone who might be looking for an ST in perfect condition.  I'd love to get one myself, but just can't afford it now.

• Member Contributer

Other than the seating,  are there any other differences?   

Any intel on how police bikes ended up at a dealer? 

8 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Other than the seating,  are there any other differences?   

Any intel on how police bikes ended up at a dealer? 

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the 'civilian' models to say what the differences are.  I wish I'd taken a couple photos of the handlebar controls, but there were plenty of buttons and switches there.  (I've attached a photo below from the dealer's website.)  The windshield, bodywork, and saddlebags look stock to me, though some of the black with the otherwise white body panels might be unique to the police model.  The other bike at this particular dealer, mostly white but with black side fairings, is definitely different and really stands out, like you replaced the fairings but didn't paint them to match the rest of the bike.

As for how they got them, who knows?  I counted about 20 on a certain online motorcycle sales site.  Maybe they were sitting in a warehouse somewhere, waiting for police departments to order them, but they never did, so after 3-4 years Honda gave up and sold them to dealers cheap.  Or a large order was made and canceled, then litigated until now, and the bikes have been released for sale to the general public.  Both of those scenarios sound plausible to me.

ST1300PAG.jpg

• Member Contributer

Rest assured that the suspension will be specced to carry a lot more weight. Radio equipment in a box where the passenger seat was, lights (extra battery?) etc. And will be set to be very stable at very high speeds...

Dutch military police use Yamaha FJR1300 which weigh in at 330kg (wet) versus 286 in standard trim.

• Member Contributer

Had chance to buy used ST1300P last year from local police station. They sold off a bunch of 2011-12 models for $3750! All gone now.

U.S. ST1300P police version has:

• 25mm taller and 13mm wider handlebars
  • electronically adjustable windscreen
  • extra brackets on frame for additional equipment such as flashly lights, sirens, radios, antennas, radar, etc.
  • 600w air-cooled alternator
  • calibrated speedometer in 2mph increments
  • different handlebar electronics controls, including being able to turn headlights off
  • slightly wider bodywork
  • crash bars
  • not sure what different rear-shock part# is, but added weight of all police-equipment would still be less than passenger. Perhaps something to do with eliminating pan-weave @ high-speed.

1 hour ago, DannoXYZ said:

Had chance to buy used ST1300P last year from local police station. They sold off a bunch of 2011-12 models for $3750! All gone now.

Just curious, how many miles were on the bikes they sold?  And had the bikes been kept up well?

I wonder sometimes whether municipal owned vehicles fare better or worse than privately owned vehicles over time and miles.  Also, I can't imagine used police motorcycles come up for sale very often, so if you want one you have to pounce.

• Member Contributer

I didn't get to talk to shop guy, but my impression was that they were very well maintained.

Can you imagine being cop and your bike dies on you in middle of chase?
Someone's gonna get fired for that!!! ;)>

They all had about 45-55k miles on them,  barely broken in!

Here's 2009 with 58k-miles for $3200 from my hometown.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/los-gatos-2009-honda-st1300-pa/7225957956.html

Someday when I'm no longer racing and retired I might get one for touring around...

• Member Contributer

Not much wrong with the ST1300, I bought an 09 last year and it is now my do-all bike. All day comfy, huge range, plenty of power. Heavy beast compared to a VFR800 and one needs to allow for that when parking. My one has Racetech modified forks and a Nitron shock, and combined with a decent chassis and brakes, is surprisingly rapid in bends up until the hard parts start to touch. They even handle slow speed well, the weight (and there is plenty) is low down and the bars have plenty of leverage. My only gripe is heat, something I never even noticed on my VFR or VTR, but is reasonably unpleasant once the temps head north of 90F.

Not quite soul-stirring like a decent 5G VFR but a well-crafted machine for the long haul. 

IMG_0502.JPG

Funny, the local constabulary hated them (St1300s) and burned out the clutches and basically just trashed them, they are long gone, favoured instead for the legend of Harley Davidson lol. They ride Road Kings for two years and make money auctioning them off to nit wits. Don't know what they do in california but that is another country anywhoO. lol

On 11/5/2020 at 7:47 PM, Terry said:

My only gripe is heat, something I never even noticed on my VFR or VTR, but is reasonably unpleasant once the temps head north of 90F.

I've heard that about the STs, though I don't know whether it's just earlier model years or all STs throughout its run.

The only other touring bike I'd heavily consider right now besides an ST would be a BMW R1200RT.  I'm already thinking I might pick up an older one in a few years to use as a dedicated touring machine.  Too big for an everyday bike for my taste, but like any good touring bike it just eats up the miles.

• Member Contributer

I now have both the St and a FJR ,both are heavier then a VFR but for long distance they are a bit more comfortable or I am getting more mature (old). My ST has race tech suspension and is very good ,FJR is newer and has great suspension as well . Motor on the FJR is a monster after reflash and a fun bike to be a hooligan on .I still enjoy the VFR and like the weight of it better then the other 2 . Heat on the ST is mostly tuning and keeping the thermostat working correctly , like the VFR they stick partly open and usually this gives them more heat coming off the engine area .

Archived