Definitive 8th gen - 5th gen exhaust fitment

VFRXX

So yeah, I finally got around to test fitting the Two Bros exhaust on my bike. Just to recap..I purchased a Two Bros high mount exhaust for a 8th gen VFR. I wanted to see if it would fit my 5th gen. Opinions were all over the place. Some say it would work, some say it wouldn't. Well guess what..

Fits perfectly! No modifications at all. The only thing I can see is the center stand rubber stop is slightly off. But it's totally fine. It still sits almost level. I have to say that I like the old version a little better. The one where the mid pipe bolts to the canister. This one has springs holding them together. No real issue, but the whole thing wiggles ever so slightly. My old one was solid. 

Anyway, here are a few pics. I suspect that any slip on for an 8th gen should work, but can't say for sure. 

20201104_153958.thumb.jpg.ebdd6db1fae15e8187639fac163e51a0.jpg20201104_154028.thumb.jpg.4fc6f8dd187468c13b4ff04afd013483.jpg20201104_154236.thumb.jpg.bcfeed0b6fa52109f8f1829dd5a5bbdd.jpg20201104_164315.thumb.jpg.331a01db2469e8129a0744bb79b937db.jpg20201104_170527.thumb.jpg.cf04963bf53214c4b10220e8f7d779c1.jpg

Made a quick video as well..

https://youtu.be/SXXdGnlWarg

• Member Contributer

Beautiful looking 5gen love the yellow. Is that the original pipe nicely polished in the first photo? It just looks incredibly long!

The new pipe looks and sounds really sweet. Good to know 5th and 8gen pipes are compatible. But yours does have a sliding clamp that can move up or down the muffler. I wonder how my 8gen IXIL exhaust would go on a 5gen as there is no sliding clamp, the exhaust has a fixed mounting hole that must align with the bike mount point?

Nice job VFRXX.

Enjoy that great bike.

Cheers.

9 hours ago, Grum said:

Beautiful looking 5gen love the yellow. Is that the original pipe nicely polished in the first photo? It just looks incredibly long!

The new pipe looks and sounds really sweet. Good to know 5th and 8gen pipes are compatible. But yours does have a sliding clamp that can move up or down the muffler. I wonder how my 8gen IXIL exhaust would go on a 5gen as there is no sliding clamp, the exhaust has a fixed mounting hole that must align with the bike mount point?

Nice job VFRXX.

Enjoy that great bike.

Cheers.

Yes, the clamp is not part of the canister, and gives you some wiggle room. Fitting that IXIL might be dicey, but who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Sp00ks said:

I have a 98, No catalytic. Am I safe to assume the mid pipe connects in the same position?  

That's a tricky question.  1999 and 2000 models have differing part numbers for the exhaust can (with obviously an integrated connector pipe).  But even the most minor differences, such as emissions disclosure stamped on one or the other could lead to that different P.N. vs any significant physical difference.  It seems unlikely there's a difference, particularly since the VFRD headers have been made to fit 1998 through 2009's and no reports of any fitment issues.  I guess if it were me I'd contact the vendor and explain the situation and be sure I knew the return policy if there are any issues. 

• Member Contributer

Are my eyes deceiving me 😳 2821 miles on a 5th gen !!! Love the two brothers can, looks and sounds great. Yellow looks stunning.👍🏼

Archived