Pannier fell off

204VFR

Hi guys, 

I went for a ride earlier this evening on my 7th generation VFR1200F and when I returned home, I noticed my left side pannier was gone. I tried to retrace my route looking for it on the side of the road but no luck. 

Has this ever happened to anyone? 

• Member Contributer

This has never looked like happening to mine, despite many kms around OZ. All I can think of is that there was a breakage of some part. They can’t come off, if all connections are correct. If you can’t find it, we are stymied and will never know why, unfortunately.

When I purchased my panniers, they  were damaged when they arrived.  I had them replaced with a new set, but I've always been a little worried that there might be weak spots in the design that could fail again.

0104181824d.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Sparkie said:

When I purchased my panniers, they  were damaged when they arrived.  I had them replaced with a new set, but I've always been a little worried that there might be weak spots in the design that could fail again.

0104181824d.jpg

Hey Sparkie. An interesting observation when compared to my OEM panniers I purchased with my bike in 2014. Have a look at my rear mount hook, its moulded to the inner edge line a lot stronger arrangement whereas yours has broken away well short of that edge line so not being as strong! There are also subtle differences at the locking handle, and the locking hook!

Are you saying you purchased these new and arrived damaged? Are they actually genuine Honda? I'm suspicious about yours being genuine or not?

Cheers.

Post Edit....Sorry optical illusion and some lighting effect made me think the rear hook was different. I did not see the section of the hook that is still attached to the pannier! 

20201104_131937.jpg

Purchased new, arrived damaged.  They replaced them without a problem.  Genuine honda.  I can't imagine anyone counterfeiting these.  I believe they are actually produced for Honda by givi.  Give me a minute, I'll go snap a pic of the current bags.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Here's what I have now.  I got them Jan 2018.  

IMG_20201103_214518686.jpg

Ah OK so this one Does have the greater strengthened rear hook. Something strange about the original broken one they sent you!

Note - load limit for each pannier is 6kg or 13.2lb.

Post Edit - Sorry not so. I didn't make out the portion that is still attached to the pannier!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Something strange, indeed.  Anyway maybe it's why the op lost his bag?

0104181824.jpg

Manufacturing defect! Or more likley bad postage and handling!

20201104_131937.jpg

• Member Contributer

The image of the broken one is not too clear. I think it was also moulded all the way across. I could be wrong, but can’t fathom why they would be different. Maybe it’s time to dig out the old Kriega US40 or the Burke sailing bag🤪.

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, VFR78 said:

The image of the broken one is not too clear. I think it was also moulded all the way across. I could be wrong, but can’t fathom why they would be different. Maybe it’s time to dig out the old Kriega US40 or the Burke sailing bag🤪.

Oops! Yep think you're right VFR78. A much closer look shows that it hasn't broken away from the fillet near the edge line, that section seems to be still intacked. Light reflections didn't help in seeing what was still intacked on the pannier.

Sorry about that Mia Culpa!

• Member Contributer

I think some broken bits might be missing also, so it is not easy to determine. You are spot on about loading, I never pack them too much and if possible put the heavy stuff on the pillion seat. I also have a SW motech rack which is limited to only 5 kg.

When riding OS I take a sailing bag for the pillion. I’m too old to carry a human being back there these days. IOM 2016

53DB675E-0366-4E73-BA07-4A4941EB1EBD.jpeg

I had one fall off, but it was my mistake. The rear hook wasn't properly seated. Frankly, I'm surprised that it latched all the way closed.  Wife and I were leaving a hotel parking garage when it came off. We'd only moved a few hundred meters at a pretty slow pace. Sounded like something exploded behind us with the echo in the garage! I stopped, picked it up, and made sure it was properly hooked on, and then drove 200 miles home with no issues. When I got home, I inspected the bag closely and realised that the bag had been rubbing on the edge of the rear wheel. The bag looked like someone had cut a slice into it with an angle grinder. I filled the hole with plastic filler putty and painted it flat black...no proof of my mistake anymore.

Archived