EPA emissions decal on '86 VFR?

DannoXYZ

• Member Contributer

I'm looking at buying an '86 VFR750 and bringing it into California. Lots of red-tape and paperwork involved. One item is EPA emissions decal.

Does anyone know where I can find this item on '86 VFR? On some bikes, it's stamped on muffler. But I think that's secondary location. CA DMV person stays it must have EPA emissions decal to bring into CA.

thx

Honestly not sure off the top of my head, and mine is in my buddy's garage at the moment...  If you need fresh ones though they aren't much: https://cbdecals.afegraphics.com/view_product.php?adminshopping=&product=86vfr750f-LabelKit-CB00433 

• Member Contributer

Just went out and had a look at my 86,

Samuelx is correct, the emissions decal is located under the seat.

• Member Contributer

Seller used your info and confirmed it's located on top of fender under seat.

Even has "California regulations" on decal, which would help me with DMV.

Looks to be in good condition, I'll check that it starts and runs smoothly and coordinate with shippers.

Thanks everyone! 🙂

VFR750-1986.jpg

BTW - too bad U.S. never got '88-99 version with 17" wheels and 41mm forks. That's one I really want.

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:BTW - too bad U.S. never got '88-99 version with 17" wheels and 41mm forks. That's one I really want.

Don’t forget the bigger valves, carbs and cams too

Not mine but it’s getting there

695633B5-11F5-4BB7-B636-3D056AF2BC67.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Those S-spoke wheels look A LOT like Hurricane 600 wheels which came out same year.... hmm....

The 17" Hurricane wheels were a fairly common swap back in the day.  Basically a bolt-in, though you still need to fix the rear ride height with a 1/2" taller shock.  IDK what's available anymore, but most anything would be better than stock.  Might be tough to find those wheels now...

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Those S-spoke wheels look A LOT like Hurricane 600 wheels which came out same year.... hmm....

They are essentially the same.  This is one of my 86 with a '88 CBR600F front wheel and a '88 VFR750F rear. 

spacer.png

They are both bolt-on using all existing spacers and cush drive, installed the longer '87 shock to compensate the ride height.  The '88 VFR front wheel disc mounts are wider for the 41mm front end (and is essentially a Hurricane 1000 front wheel).   I did it mostly for looks and to be a little different (and still be period correct).  I do like the way the 17" front feels though, you can feel it.

If you do this on a 87, you just use the '86 linkage piece for the ride height increase.

• Member Contributer

Hmm, I might just use 160/70-17 tyre. Darn close to factory 130/80-18 diameter.

I usually prefer 70-series tyres front & rear anyway. Faster tip-in and more responsive.

Found great deal on Metzeler Z6 radials.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I was only commenting that non-U.S. '88-89 model used Hurricane wheels.

I've got spare set of CBR600F2 wheels ready to go.

Did this conversion on my VF500 decades ago.

Gonna fire up lathe and make some spacers and trim sprocket-carrier.

I'm betting DMV's gonna drag their feet for while.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, CharlieFoxtrot said:

I'm pretty sure we're all dying for a pic of your new ride, even though you don't have it yet...

Says the guy without an Album to view. 

And put that damn 87 together already.

spacer.png

ROFL!

Albums:

https://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car_truck_motorcycl/current-rides/1990-vfr750/

https://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car_truck_motorcycl/current-rides/87-vfr700f2/

https://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car_truck_motorcycl/former-rides/vfrs/

https://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car_truck_motorcycl/current-rides/other-vfrs/

Edit: the 87 is in Florida, and I'm in Connecticut.  Plus, I told my wife I'd sell the 87 when I bought the 90, but I haven't, and then I took the 90 apart!  Though not as _far_ apart...  If this virus crap ever goes away, and after I finish the 90, I'll see if I can sneak putting the 87 together and keep it, but that'll be tricky!

Now back to Danno's thread!

Is anyone making cbr spacers right now? There used to be a vendor i think that was back in the day, but nothing anymore I'm aware of. I'd be happy to buy a set to throw on the shelf for future conversion...

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, atx said:

Is anyone making cbr spacers right now? There used to be a vendor i think that was back in the day, but nothing anymore I'm aware of. I'd be happy to buy a set to throw on the shelf for future conversion...

Pretty sure Daugherty Motorsports makes some, with some options depending on which rear brake solution you choose.  I made my own, a few sets now actually.

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

Is Chuck/Cobalt Racing still around?

That flake?   Nope.  And what Foxtrot said.  He pissed a lot of people off.

That being said, I have some of his fiberglass (second hand).  Some of the nicest fiberglass work I have ever seen.  The RC26 above is his tail and seat cowl.  And I have a set of lowers that are going on my next build.

I too have a full set of cobalt bodywork i need to put to use some day, he was the one i was thinking of who used to make spacers...

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, atx said:

I too have a full set of cobalt bodywork i need to put to use some day, he was the one i was thinking of who used to make spacers...

He did make spacers, but his math / method was different.  I've read his placement required shortening the sprocket studs on the F2 hub.  Although I never heard of anybody with issues using his spacers. 

Archived