front wheel weight difference

• Member Contributer

I am not finding any info on what difference in front wheel weight there is if any between the 3rd and 4th gen front wheels. Has anyone seen any figures? I am thinking about putting the 4th gen wheel on my 3rd gen mainly for the look with the floating disc's. They sure went overboard with the buttons on those though. That gave me another idea about 5th gen rotors on the 4th gen wheel. They have to be lighter due to the reduction in the number of buttons. I have no idea about bolting up to the wheel and if the offset would be correct. Love to have some bikes to investigate possibilities.

• Member Contributer

The 3rd gen front wheels have more steel, and more wheel, then the 4th gen front wheels.  I'm sure the latter is lighter, but for me it's more about updating the appearance than the few grams it saves on unspring weight.  Fifth-gen rotors won't fit anyway--different bolt pattern (62mm PCD vs 58mm).

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the reply and the info I was looking for. Guess I will just have to stick with the 4th gen rotors then. Man those things are busy with all those buttons, but still better than the solid mounted 3rd gens. I'll take a 2 fer anyday, lighter and better looking.

I think the 5th-gen rotors work with some CBR wheels that look the same as VFR wheels, but the CBR wheels were hard to find when I was shopping.  I originally had 5th-gen Braking brand rotors but sold them.

I just put Braking floating rotors on a RC36-2 wheel on my 1990 VFR.  See my 4-piston caliper thread just below yours.

Many years ago in a dimension far far away (Miami) I was working at a shop where a 98 F3 600 came in (used abused race bike) I had the inspiration of trying the front wheel with the floating rotors, basically the entire shooting match. Installed it on my bike same spacers as the VFR, axle etc, (funny thing was that the 600 had double pinch bolts compared to the VFRs single ones. I liked the lighter steering, (never weighed the old VFR wheel, sold on Ebay to finance a new used wheel.) It was at a time when there were still salvage yards breaking bikes, I ended up getting a nice CBR600 front wheel, for $200 dollars, bartered labour for some iron EBC full floating rotors and that is it. This bike rides different than the 93 I have too, super compliant and with new tyres you can drag a foot peg just on a routine little mission. Hope this helps

First-Wife.jpg

• Member Contributer

I just went out and weighed a 3rd Gen front rim I have hanging in my garage'

Without rotors but with bearings it came in at 13.3 lbs (6.02 kg)

I'll try to remember to weigh my 4th gen front when I swap tires.

• Member Contributer

Wow, sure you didn't lean on the scale? 😉

Some years ago I weighed the front & rear wheels of my '98 VFR800. Sans tire, valve stem, or balance weights, or bearings(front) the front weighed ~9 pounds and the rear was 12 pounds. And a 3rd Gen 12-spoke weighed almost exactly the same as the 800's 5-spoke. I didn't have the most accurate scale, but sure as shootin' wasn't off by 4 pounds.

On 11/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, FromMaine said:

I just went out and weighed a 3rd Gen front rim I have hanging in my garage'

Without rotors but with bearings it came in at 13.3 lbs (6.02 kg)

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Lorne said:

Wow, sure you didn't lean on the scale? 😉

Some years ago I weighed the front & rear wheels of my '98 VFR800. Sans tire, valve stem, or balance weights, or bearings(front) the front weighed ~9 pounds and the rear was 12 pounds. And a 3rd Gen 12-spoke weighed almost exactly the same as the 800's 5-spoke. I didn't have the most accurate scale, but sure as shootin' wasn't off by 4 pounds.

3rd gen front has the BIG center hub, so weighs much more than 4 and 5 gen fronts. Rears are close enough.......

• Member Contributer

800 front is 5Kg with bearings only & rear is 6Kg

BST Carbon RC45 wheels are 

Front 2.5Kg with bearings, & Ti disc bolts & rear is 3Kg 👍😀

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Mohawk said:

800 front is 5Kg with bearings only & rear is 6Kg

BST Carbon RC45 wheels are 

Front 2.5Kg with bearings, & Ti disc bolts & rear is 3Kg 👍😀

Are we talking about BST 5 spoke carbon???

Stock RC45 cast aluminum..............................16x3.5 F 9.0 lbs 17x6 R 11.7 lbs
17" Marchesini 3 spoke cast magnesium 17x3.5 F 6.0 lbs 17x6 R 8.5 lbs
Weight savings...................................................................F 3.0 lbs............. R 3.2 lb

• Member Contributer

Yes Larry BST 5 spoke 👍
The problem with weights is where it is. The alloy/mag wheels have most of it in the rim. The carbons have most of it in the hub, so a 1lb difference is much more than it may first appear. 

Archived