Oil and filter change recommendation

VFR46

Welcome to the forum!  🙂

Stay away from cheap oil and filters.  We don't tend to have to change them out all that often, so buy decent quality materials, which will perform better and last longer.  As many people say, good oil and filters are cheap insurance for your engine's protection.

Here are oil filters I've used and recommend.  I can't tell you which is best, but they are all good if not great.

Mobil M1-108 or M1-108A

Bosch 3300

Purolator PL14612

As for oil, it's an endless debate over what is best to use, and whether to use full synthetic sooner or later as your bike accumulates miles.  I have used regular "dino" oil semi-synthetic, and full synthetic, tending to use only full synthetic as my VFR gained a lot of miles.  One thing you're supposed to do is use oil with a JASO-MA rating and without moly.  I've used automotive oil with no ill effects, but most owners will tell you don't do that.

You can't really go wrong with motorcycle specific oil, and I think most people use 10W-40.  You'll usually find 2-3 different brands at most decent motorcycle shops.  Again, it's worth the investment considering how hard we sometimes run our machines.

Good luck with the oil change!

Archived