Dyno Day Tomorrow! Place your bets now!

Ughandi

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, squirrelman said:

somebody do the math for me:  $$/hp

Those particular mathematics, though valid, often end up with the analyst saying “I’ll just get the Delkevic headers, and save a ton of money!“ because the headers used to generate the dyno charts  are not inexpensive. But the analyst who has not ridden a well tuned VFR with these headers is under-informed.

I hate to get up on this soapbox again, but this was my own story too - I truly believed no exhaust system could make a significant difference in my 5 gen’s performance. In 2017 I was traveling on my 5 gen, and visited VFRD member RVFR in Olympia Washington. We went out on a fun ride through twisty roads, and he generously offered to trade 5 gens with me for 20 miles or so. Our 5 gens are both well maintained, both had similar mileage 28k on his 32k on mine, the same Staintune slipons, Power Commander 3s on both, and K&N air filters. But his had the original Two Brothers headers we used to model the VFRD performance headers and he had taken his bike in for dyno tuning. Mine had OEM catless headers from a 1998/1999 5 gen, also dyno tuned with my Power Commander 3. The difference in throttle response and perceived power amazed me - it changed my mind. Headers could and did make a meaningful difference. On RVFR’s bike with now-crisp throttle response, I felt more control, and the bike felt much faster than mine, but still very well behaved. I describe it as harmonized. It took from that summer of 2017 until the beginning of 2019 for Duc2V4 and I to find a fabricator who would even consider making a replica of the Two Brothers headers for less than $1500.

The actual value of the improved performance is more accurately shown in the statements by VFRD members who are now riding their VFRs with the new headers installed after having them dyno tuned.

• Member Contributer

To add to the argument on ROI....

When I bought my RC51, I thought that adding a PowerCommander was not worth it.

But with some "excess cash":laugh: to burn I went ahead, including some dyno time.

While the HP gains were not massive, it sorted the stumble at low revs. But quite remarkebly,  I felt I now had an extra gear in the gear box.

YMMV

Archived