Dyno Day Tomorrow! Place your bets now!

Ughandi

• Member Contributer

Howdy!

My 5th gen "Hornet" is going to see the motorcycle treadmill tomorrow at Proven Power in Tampa!

So I'd think it would be fun to see what kinda power yall think I might be laying down! Let me know below! (I feel like a youtuber saying that. lol)

Relevant Mods: 
- K&N "small" filter

- VFRD Catless Headers
- Staintune Muffler
- and a full fresh tank of Shell 93 octane

I'll be sure to post that juicy baseline vs tuned plots we all love to see afterwards!

(PFA)

Downtown St Pete

• Member Contributer

74.3kW / 101BHP at the rear wheel (10,100RPM)

78Nm torque at 8,500rpm

I'd normally bet those mods have increased power numbers, but age (and I'm guessing some miles) might cause the numbers to drop a little.  Still, I'll say 105 hp and 60 lb.-ft. of torque.  Those are close to the original factory numbers.

Good luck and have fun today!  🙂 

• Member Contributer

I'm going to guess that with the headers it will pick up 3 to 5% HP over stock and maybe a couple of foot-pounds on torque.  I hope I'm wrong and you get more!  :wink:

• Member Contributer

I've never seen very significant gains with bolt-on mods. Engine's darn well-optimised from factory. 

You gotta get full-exhaust and PC with re-mapping for any noticeable improvements. And even then, gains really aren't worth effort unless you're pro-racer and your paycheque depends on it.

• Member Contributer
On 10/27/2020 at 9:03 AM, Ughandi said:

- K&N "small" filter

Wish I'd seen this earlier - it's well worth getting the current K&N HA-8098 'big mouth', especially since you've invested so much time and money. Breathing better is what these headers are all about. When you get back, that is - noticed there hasn't been a report on Dyno Day...

5 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

And even then, gains really aren't worth effort unless you're pro-racer and your paycheque depends on it.

Hi DannoXYZ - it's completely understandable to have this opinion...until you ride a VFR that does have a full Two Brothers Racing system or the headers Ughandi is talking about in this thread. With dyno tuning through a Power Commander, the resulting ride experience goes way beyond what the dyno sheets demonstrate. With one of these systems properly tuned, having a snappy, instant response to any throttle input and a significant bump in both torque and horsepower at midrange brings any VFR to life. It rides like a whole different animal. Here's what VFRD member Jim V said on page 40 of the header thread this past Thursday:

• "We didn't go for ultimate power but rather smooth throttle response. Even so everyone wants to see the numbers so Max HP = 106.0 Max T = 55.2. Dynoplot down below
  • Mods are WiLD headers, flow balanced injectors, Pipercross air filter, Micron exhaust cans
  • Results - throttle response is much, much better now. Crisp, linear, no surging, no stumbling - puts a smile on my face each time I open it up. Sadly riding season is almost over around here 😞"

And here's what VFRD member Flya750 said on page 37 of the header thread:

"Took my first 100 mile ride today on the Honda 8thGen Interceptor after the VFRD performance upgrades [headers, full exhaust, dyno tuned]. Flawless. Zero issues. Magnificent. I'm just blown away about how much better this bike is now. I would say I have a 13-15% power increase and a power curve/VTEC transition that is magical. 😉  Top end power is super impressive and much improved. It is slightly louder, but not too bad."

If you'd like to brush up on header theory and how it works with the VFR, you can check out the VFRD header thread linked below. It's safe to say that the vast majority of our most knowledgeable, supportive VFRD members have chimed in on this header project thread:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88463-new-5th6th8th-gen-performance-header-now-in-production-in-usa/

I'm here to argue an opposing viewpoint that I really believe in.  Power mods are not worth it.  You put a ton of money into the bike that you will never recover, marginal gains at best, and often there is a trade-off where one thing is better, but something else suffers.  Spend your money on tires and suspension, then get real training.  Track days and rides with professional instruction will make you ride way faster.  

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Sparkie said:

I'm here to argue an opposing viewpoint that I really believe in.

Couldn’t agree more.  Opposing viewpoints are why all of our VFRs are so individual and unique. Each of us uses their own algorithm of cost, effort, benefit, detriment, and more factors than I think of to decide what we do with our motorcycle(s).

9 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Spend your money on tires and suspension, then get real training.  Track days and rides with professional instruction will make you ride way faster.

Again, couldn’t agree more. I definitely see what you’re saying.

Perhaps an additional perspective could arise when an individual’s cost/effort/desired result  metric is different from your own. Then they might choose to put some of their time and money into their powertrain, where you and I would instead opt for a new set of sticky tires and a two-day track school. Everyone strikes their own happy medium. I am blessed to be able to follow your tires, suspension, and training suggestion to the letter: brand new Dunlop slicks under forks/shock sprung and valved for my weight/riding, and a two-day Ken Hill school organized by Carter’s at the Track for this coming Monday and Tuesday.

• Member Contributer

^^^ I'll second that.  For enjoyment some people spend money going on cruises, to Hawaii or whatever - I like to wrench on and mod (and of course ride) my bikes.  I love it when people walk over and say "what is that bike - a Ducati???"  Under my helmet I'm laughing.   The enjoyment I get is worth the money - I don't give a rip what the resale on the bike is.  I like creating something different - a one of one that no one else has.  No matter what I've gotten my fun out of it. 

10 hours ago, JimMoore said:

If you really want to go faster, replace your sprockets with -1/+1. that makes an huge difference in performance and it's practically free. Maybe $50 for both sprockets.

You might accelerate a bit quicker, but the trade-off is fuel economy will be reduced and you will always have the engine spinning faster than normal.  I have been thru that, it's not a good trade-off.  But you won't actually be riding faster.  Your bikes top speed will actually be reduced!  The Honda engineers do a good job and the bikes are well balanced.  The key to riding faster is learning, not modifying.  The first time you get passed in a corner by a guy on a cbr250 who knows what he is doing, you'll understand.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Sparkie said:

So, back to the main subject of the thread.  Where are the dyno results???

No reply from the OP; maybe he was disappointed/embarrassed by the result? 

18 hours ago, Sparkie said:

You might accelerate a bit quicker, but the trade-off is fuel economy will be reduced and you will always have the engine spinning faster than normal.  I have been thru that, it's not a good trade-off.  But you won't actually be riding faster.  Your bikes top speed will actually be reduced!  The Honda engineers do a good job and the bikes are well balanced.  The key to riding faster is learning, not modifying.  The first time you get passed in a corner by a guy on a cbr250 who knows what he is doing, you'll understand.

Thanks. I'm completely familiar with the concepts. As a note, the 98 VFR is geared to go 141 mph ... in 4th gear. Doesn't that seem a little overgeared to you? It seemed overgeared to the Honda engineers. They changed the ratios in the 6th Gen back to a more reasonable setup.

You're right about a couple things though. I don't get great gas mileage. And I couldn't care less. I don't ride a sportbike to save gas. But if that's your bag, have at it. I ride my sportbikes to have fun.

And who gives a shit if "the engine spins faster than normal?" It's supposed to spin fast. Power = torque X rpm. 

And I've been passed by more small children on little bikes than I care to admit. There's a video of me being passed by a then 13-year-old Garrett Gerloff. He goes by and disappears into the distance so fast it looks like I'm standing still. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

• Member Contributer
On 11/2/2020 at 9:01 AM, Sparkie said:

So, back to the main subject of the thread.  Where are the dyno results???

With no feedback from the OP about getting his 5 gen onto a dyno, here are the dyno results from the VFRD headers 5 gen test bike. This will save you digging through the header thread - it's 41 pages long. All the dyno runs in the charts below were done on the same day, on the same dyno, by the same dyno tech. The only change made was changing from OEM headers to the VFRD headers, then tuning using a Power Commander 3.

Though the charts show good numbers, they cannot communicate the improvement in throttle response across all rpms, especially in the midrange where we spend the most time when sport riding our VFRs.

Chart 1 has a line delineating max horsepower and torque.

- bottom graph line is the stock headers with no tuning

- middle graph line is headers installed, no Power Commander, no tuning

- top graph line is with headers after dyno tuning with Power Commander:

1902687316_Attack5genpeakhp1012619.thumb.jpg.c1a9d92fc1140ae81a74bb4b3d7ff7d2.jpg

Chart 2 is the same graph with a delineating line at 7000rpm to show midrange improvement:

1932789731_Attack5genmidrangecomparison1012619.thumb.jpg.66cad7dab6fd1ea2d2d265557471061c.jpg

Archived