Another stuck rear axle....2001 5th Gen VFR800

davenay67

I've been reading a number of posts about stuck axles. I can join the club. 

The outer part of the drive hub came off the bike easily, but the inner section is stuck on there good.

Am I correct in thinking that I should focus on removing this part before I attempt to drift the axle out? Is a gear pulley a good option? Looks like I could only use a 2 legged puller due to a lack of space.

Ever wish you could hit 'Undo" on a job. 🙂 Or better yet, just never have started it in the first place.

I am royally messing up the back end on this bike right now. Using a 3 leg puller to attempt to remove the inner flange part of the rear cush drive, I have slightly bent that part. Additionally I have messed up the threads on the axle. Looking at a total loss on those parts right now. How do I even remove that parts, regardless of destroying them at his point?

• Member Contributer

Your removal would be much easier after a long ride when all the parts are at operating temps...

Your axle is probably frozen at the wheel bearings due to corrosion
from either rain riding or washing your bike with a garden hose... if
the rubber hammer fails then you need more force like a large steel
hammer... to protect the axle and threads source a hard wood block or
plastic... installed the nut backwards so the flange faces you...
strike the wood / plastic against the nut... the force to budge the
axle maybe extreme so be prepared for the bike to move about... also
be prepared for the axle to propel free in a shot... having a second
body helps to control the reaction to the hammer force... after the
axle is out check to make sure the wheel bearings are still seated in
their place... a little grease will prevent this from happening
again...

gallery_3131_51_44321.jpg
gallery_3131_51_11731.jpg

This is where I'm stuck. The inner flange of the drive hub mechanism will not budge.

I have applied heat, applied PB Blaster, and whacked it many times. The nut is on the axle backwards as suggested. I read an old post from a member who was in the same boat, so I have been using some of the helpful hints from that thread. Unfortunately, all of his images did not show.

I am thinking to remove the swingarm entirely, and rest it on its side so the penetrating oil can soak better. Was thinking of getting some Kroil. That will also allow me to rest the swingarm on a block on wood and I can take some good direct whacks at it....

If none of this works, do you think it would be a good idea to see if a machine shop would press it out for me?

Pph7EJj.jpg

I'm just a shade tree mechanic so I don't know if this would be a good idea or not but how about (in addition to lubrication and gentle heat) a long breaker bar and socket or an impact wrench to see if you can get it to start turning/spinning (and if so, tap it out while turning it)?

8 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

I'm just a shade tree mechanic so I don't know if this would be a good idea or not but how about (in addition to lubrication and gentle heat) a long breaker bar and socket or an impact wrench to see if you can get it to start turning/spinning (and if so, tap it out while turning it)?

The axle spins freely. You would never know anything was stuck until you started to disassemble parts like I'm doing.

My (first) issue is that I cannot get that inner drive flange off. It is supposed to just slide off, but mine likely never got lubed by any PO's, so I'm first owner to discover that the inner flange is stuck to the axle splines. My second problem is that the axle is also likely stuck to the bearing races in the concentric hub.

7 minutes ago, BusyLittleShop said:

I employ a 5 lb sledge hammer to great success...

Hammer5LBS.JPG

I like it!

If nothing else I can work out some frustrations.  🙂

Am I correct in thinking that I need to remove that inner flange before I can start hammering away at the axle? Or can I just just start wailing with everything in place?

• Member Contributer

Study my photo... see the rust??? that is the point where the inner flange is stuck on the axle... once this point is free the axle will pop right out... I'd heat the flange until spit sizzles and whacked it like you mean it with a 5 lb hammer... first make sure the rear caliper is removed...

Thanks for all the help and replies....much appreciated. I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so I likely won't get back to this until next weekend. I will order some Kroil in the meantime, so it will be waiting for me when I get back home. I will also pick up a short metal sledge hammer. I only have rubber deadblow mallets in short handles.

Planning to remove the swingarm entirely. It was on my list of things to do anyway, so I could clean away 20 years of dirt and grime. This should let me place the swingarm against a solid surface to transfer all the energy nicely. It will also let the penetrating oil have gravity to help.

Other than that, it's the dynamic trio of heat, lube and hammer.

I will report back with my (hopefully) progress....

UPDATE:

Got back into town late this past week, so got to work on the hub on Saturday. Removed the swingarm entirely. worked steadily throughput the day applying heat, penetrating oil and plenty of whacks. Initially started with a 50:50 mix of ATF and acetone. 

Being on its side, I could let the penetrating oil pool and let gravity help.

1 - YudonOj.jpg

FINALLY....it's off.

I eventually pulled the inner flange with a gear puller. This method didn't work originally, but after a long and steady diet of heat, lube and shock, the puller was able to remove the flange. The axle only took 2 medium whacks to come out. So, the axle wasn't stuck to the wheel bearings at all. It was just the inner flange that was hanging everything up.

Now I can get on with cleaning the parts, greasing the bearings and putting the back end back together.

Thanks to all for the help and encouragement.

2 - FMjPAec.jpg

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, davenay67 said:

Yup. Lots of heat, lube cycles.

Good job getting it off! I was actually thinking to freeze axle and heat up sprocket carrier.

Archived