Exhaust options for 5th gen

VFRXX

Some of you may have read how I finally found an almost showroom 2000, with no miles on it. My intention was to leave it all stock... The way Honda intended it. After having run it a few times now, I've realized that I just can't have that stock exhaust on there. I don't care about the weight or size, but I just have to let this thing sing. It's one of the very few bikes that sounds really good with an aftermarket can. I've always had quality exhausts on all my bikes. Two Bros, Akrapovic, Yoshimura and the like. Unfortunately, finding any of these for a 5th gen is impossible. The only ones that seem to pop up are ones with questionable quality. (GPR, Delkevik, Black Widow) Money really isn't an object here, just want to find something really nice for this bike. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

• Member Contributer

I have read here that 8th gen exhausts will fit 5th gen..... although I have no experience with that..

Nope, staintune isn't selling 5th gen exhausts any more.  They sell an 8th gen exhaust, but all I've heard is rumors that they also fit 5th gens.  If the 8th gens do fit, then you have access to the Akrapovic and Two Brothers offerings.  If you wait a really long time, you may be able to find a 5th gen Staintune on fleabay or the classifieds.

I've heard all the rumors about that. Read multiple posts as well. Doesn't seem like there is a clear answer as to whether it fits or not. Sucks man. Never thought it would be this difficult to pick out an exhaust. 

Just got a reply from Staintune. They still make high and low mount exhausts "to order". They want $800 plus $150 shipping from AU. Definitely a lot of steam for it, but they are 100% available. 

I had to chime in, couldn't let another 5th gen owner potentially toss money away.  A bigger consideration than brand should be what headers you have on your 2000.  The OEM headers of the 00/01 with the catalytic converter provide a different character of exhaust note than the open headers of the 98/99.  You can put the same can on a stock 99/00, and the bikes with sound completely different.  The catalytic acts as its own baffle of sorts.  The overall sound is much smoother and quiet as a result.  The off throttle burbles and pops you would get with a straight header VFR aren't as pronounced either.

I mention this because listening to clips of a Staintune on a straight header VFR won't be representative of what it will sound like on a VFR with a catalytic header.  Just by looking at the size of the staintune can, you may be disappointed by the end result if your 2000's headers are stock.  Name brand also isn't everything.  My 2000 came fitted with the OEM Honda muffler, but the previous owner threw in a Yoshimura RS-3 Stainless with the proper mid-mount pipe.  It sounded horrible on the 2000.  It added little if anything to the engine's throaty growl, and instead there was a low frequency droning at speed I can only describe as "the brown note".

I had my 1999 before purchasing the 2000, and had fitted a Delkevic 13" tri-oval.  I like the end result, so I purchased another for the 2000.  It sounded fine, but was still somewhat quiet for my taste, again that catalytic has quite an impact.  I went ahead and ordered their 9" SS70 with the intent of putting it on the 2000.  Just out of curiosity, I put it on the 1999 first.  It didn't make any changes to the sound profile of the tri-oval, it was just obnoxiously louder.  I put it on the 2000 and very much like the end result.  I honestly can't say which bike exhaust note I like more now, it's like two different flavors.  The 1999 is more raw, but the 2000 reminds me of a V8 muscle car with a very smooth and throaty exhaust.   To this post, I've attached two quick sound bites of my bikes at flyby.  The 2000 is fit with the Delkevic SS70, no baffle.  The 1999 is fit with the Tri-Oval, no baffle.

I don't have anything bad to say about the Delkevic's fit or finish.  The welds are clean, and they come with a removable baffle (just a stainless pipe with a domed cap).  If your fear is what might arrive in the mail looks like your buddy broke out his Harbor Freight welder after heading to Home Depot for sheet metal and tin snips, that's simply not the case.  I would suspect similar conclusions about Black Widow cans.  The only knock I guess I could say against Delkevic is they don't have the brand presence of say Akrapovic or Yoshimura.  If a bigger concern was having people ogle your muffler at Bikes & Coffee meets to start conversations, then maybe investing in a real expensive exhaust would be worth it.  

I've never owned a Staintune, but I certainly couldn't justify >$900 after shipping unless I absolutely knew I was going to like the sound.  That's money I really need for tires.  The fact you never have to repack a Staintune is a nice bonus, but I don't see that as a deal breaker for the Delkevics.  Any brand like Two Brothers or Yoshimura using traditional packing would be the same anyway. 

vfrflyby_AUDIO.zip

• Member Contributer
On 10/26/2020 at 2:25 AM, VFRXX said:

Just got a reply from Staintune. They still make high and low mount exhausts "to order". They want $800 plus $150 shipping from AU. Definitely a lot of steam for it, but they are 100% available. 

Unless Adam's prices increased, I think quoted prices are in AUD$ not US$.

Last year VFRD user jdmtrinidad bought a new made to order Staintune for his 5th gen

He paid US$650 which comes out to about AUD$950

His post below:

• Member Contributer

I purchased my 5th gen in 2015 with the Stayintune already installed.  Previous owner liked a louder sound so never used the baffle.  I prefer a little quieter machine so I installed the baffle and I think it has a great sound.  Very happy with it.

On 10/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, Tirso said:

Unless Adam's prices increased, I think quoted prices are in AUD$ not US$.

Last year VFRD user jdmtrinidad bought a new made to order Staintune for his 5th gen

He paid US$650 which comes out to about AUD$950

His post below:

You are right. It is AUD. (I confirmed with the sales guy). So just under $700 at the current exchange rate. That's not bad, but here's the story..

So i was gonna wait till later, but I'll give a quick update. I had a Two Bros carbon fiber can on my 2001. Loved the way it sounded, and looked, I opened it up after 10 years to repack it, and it still looked new. Quality stuff. So i decided the other day to be the guinea pig. I ordered one for a 8th gen to see if it would work. Like most, i can't get a definitive answer on whether it will fit or not. So, F it. It came in last night, so I'll post up later today, with pics. Good, or bad.. at least we will all know. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought an England-made Scorpion a year and a half or so ago, and it's very high quality. Slightly louder, and slightly better-sounding than stock. I live in Michigan, USA, and I found this can at an online shop in North Carolina, IIRC. Price was very good, considering the level of quality.

image.png.f0a3886d578f03210cf593760b3a13fa.png

• Member Contributer

I still enjoy my Black Widow silencer, can't wait to get my VFRD header and see if it changes the tone/etc.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, adkfinn said:

I still enjoy my Black Widow silencer, can't wait to get my VFRD header and see if it changes the tone/etc.

If your 5th gen had a cat I'd say you'd definitely notice the difference - I sure did on my 6th gen.  On a '98 maybe not as much, however the larger tube diameter may well give it a lower tone.  Regardless I think you'll like it and it will look great!  :fing02:

• Member Contributer

My 2000 VFR800 has a Two Bro's slip on and the stock headers w/cat. 

Speaking to the earlier comment about it being quiet with the cat with subdued burbles and pops, my VFR exhaust burbles quite a bit with a nice sprinkling of snaps, crackles and pops.

I always wondered if maybe there was something "wrong" with it but it runs like a dream, gets great gas mileage, pulls very hard, plugs always look good when I change 'em and the oil isn't fuelly. 

I'm actually at a point where I have a full 98-99 stock system I was going to swap in, but the sound right now is soooo sweet I dare not ruin it 😅

• Member Contributer

Regarding the popping, some of it will be the PAIR system that allows fresh air flow into the exhaust to help unburned gasses burn.  Suggestion might be to remove the PAIR system if you already haven't and see if it improves the situation.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, slowbird said:

My 2000 VFR800 has a Two Bro's slip on and the stock headers w/cat. 

Speaking to the earlier comment about it being quiet with the cat with subdued burbles and pops, my VFR exhaust burbles quite a bit with a nice sprinkling of snaps, crackles and pops.

I always wondered if maybe there was something "wrong" with it but it runs like a dream, gets great gas mileage, pulls very hard, plugs always look good when I change 'em and the oil isn't fuelly. 

I'm actually at a point where I have a full 98-99 stock system I was going to swap in, but the sound right now is soooo sweet I dare not ruin it 😅

1 hour ago, raYzerman said:

Regarding the popping, some of it will be the PAIR system that allows fresh air flow into the exhaust to help unburned gasses burn.  Suggestion might be to remove the PAIR system if you already haven't and see if it improves the situation.

x2 on this - I had quite a bit of popping and the occasional small backfire with my TBR until I installed @mello dude 's PAIR delete. It def changed things for the better.

• Member Contributer
Just now, adkfinn said:

x2 on this - I had quite a bit of popping and the occasional small backfire with my TBR until I installed @mello dude 's PAIR delete. It def changed things for the better.

When I did the pair delete on my old '97 VFR750 I noticed no change in the exhaust sound at all. That too had a Two Bro's slip on. 

Even still, I wouldn't do the PAIR delete on my current VFR800 as I would hate to lose those sounds. Just my personal preference of course. Every one has different tastes. 🙂

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, slowbird said:

When I did the pair delete on my old '97 VFR750 I noticed no change in the exhaust sound at all. That too had a Two Bro's slip on. 

Even still, I wouldn't do the PAIR delete on my current VFR800 as I would hate to lose those sounds. Just my personal preference of course. Every one has different tastes. 🙂

I agree, the sound these bikes make is part of the appeal. For me, there is still plenty of burble and bark off throttle, just no big pops or small backfires anymore for me with the PAIR delete.

I have a Viper end can on my 99 VFR and it goes very well . I also have a full black widow system and I don't know where these rumors of poor quality come from I can tell you 100% they are great and the quality is very good in my opinion .

Plenty available on Ebay , all brand new. Delkevic, Black widow , MIVV, Scorpion , gpr , Ixil etc etc 

• Member Contributer

They come from a long way back...but from what I've seen they're no longer relevant to the current company/product.

Ciao,

JZH

I put on the  99 headers exhaust on my 00, with an M4 slip on.  It eliminated the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors with a jumper.  Eliminated the low speed surging and seems to run a lot smoother. 

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Is there any info on the weight difference from stock to aftermarket slip ons, or stock to aftermarket header/cat?

My '98 has a staintune. The '00 is currently stock. Looking at a few Delkevic slipons. (advice welcome!) The sound clip sounds great. 

Archived