Leaking tank

TyroneAus05

Hi everyone, I’m new to this site and on my 2nd VFR800F, my question is has anyone developed a leaky tank? I was loosing fuel so took it too my Honda dealer who found a random split in the steel where its shape. Has anyone else had this happen

• Member Contributer

Yes I have heard of this and it can be caused by either high pressure or severe vacuum build up in the tank due to a blocked/pinched breather hose. The 8gen has a small breather hose leading to a larger one. Whenever the tank is raised to the maintenance position, the breather is pulled upwards through a tight area, the hose MUST be pulled at the side of the engine to take up the slack as the tank is lowered back to normal position, otherwise there is a very good chance of a pinched breather hose.

Go through the 8gen forum you will find good info regarding the breather hose and issues it causes.

Cheers.

P.S. Tyrone, where in Melbourne are you? PM (private mail) me your phone number, if you like, I'm happy to give you a call and have a chat about your bike.

I've just had this problem, and only just got it back from being fixed. The shop said it seemed to have developed a pinhole leak in a seam in the tank. Annoyingly, a previous owner had tried to fix it with a plastic patch or something, and it had failed.

Archived