Keeping a clear face shield in the rain

RobF

• Member Contributer

This past weekend I spent a couple hours riding through a cold and drizzly mountain pass. When the rain is heavy, I find that I can usually clear the big drops by turning my head and letting the oncoming air blow the accumulated water off the shield. But when it's a light drizzle or just heavy fog, the water drops are smaller and much more difficult to clear this way.

I've tried Rain-X in the past, but my recollection is that it worked okay until I needed to clear bugs off the shield. Then the Rain-X film would be smudged and the result was worse than just the baseline water-splattered shield.

Does anybody have a technique the like for keeping a clear shield in the rain?

• Member Contributer

I've always used Plexus to clean/polish/protect my visor and windsheild.  That seems to work pretty good for repelling the moisture.

A silicon-based furniture polish like Mr Sheen is good for cleaning the whole helmet including visor, and works a bit like RainX in wet riding.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

A silicon-based furniture polish like Mr Sheen is good for cleaning the whole helmet including visor, and works a bit like RainX in wet riding.

That's what we used on our Ice Hockey visors, way cheaper and just as good as the defoggers.

2 hours ago, ChasingNolan said:

I've always used Plexus to clean/polish/protect my visor and windsheild.  That seems to work pretty good for repelling the moisture.

I use plexus too.  It works great!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 11:36 PM, ChasingNolan said:

Where do I get one of these attached umbrellas?

On 10/20/2020 at 4:19 PM, RobF said:

This past weekend I spent a couple hours riding through a cold and drizzly mountain pass. When the rain is heavy, I find that I can usually clear the big drops by turning my head and letting the oncoming air blow the accumulated water off the shield. But when it's a light drizzle or just heavy fog, the water drops are smaller and much more difficult to clear this way.

I've tried Rain-X in the past, but my recollection is that it worked okay until I needed to clear bugs off the shield. Then the Rain-X film would be smudged and the result was worse than just the baseline water-splattered shield.

Does anybody have a technique the like for keeping a clear shield in the rain?

I do the same thing - turning my head when I'm at speed, clearing the faceshield.  At slower speeds, the rain gloves I've had usually have a little rubber squeegee along the index finger of the left glove.  I wipe it across the shield and it's clear for a few seconds or more, depending on how hard it's raining and how fast I'm moving.

I'll have to try Plexus or the furniture polish next spring.  I bet the polish would make cleaning the dead bugs off my helmet, too.

• Member Contributer

I've found that if I place my face close to the top of my Givi Touring windscreen that clears the windscreen quite well. Otherwise I just wipe it with my glove. The armored gloves I have do not have a squeegee. The Aerostich Elkskin Ropers, worn by the California moto patrol, have a thumb squeegee. I miss that feature.

I stopped by a couple motorcycle shops this afternoon looking for a couple things.  I thought I'd pick up a can of Plexus, but got a little sticker shock - $24 for a small spray can.  :ohmy:

Maybe I'll ask for a large can for Christmas.

• Member Contributer

I found the cheapest thing in the Harley shops was their polish ,works like Plexus and about $8 a can smells good and keeps the rain blowing off.

• Member Contributer
On 10/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, The Phantom said:

Have to agree, Mr Sheen is not only good on helmets, its fantastic for a lovely shine on fairings, paintwork, windscreens etc, been using it on the bike for years and it's cheap as chips. Excellent product.

Archived