RWB won't start.

Rossgazz

Looks like the electrical gremlins have finally caught up to me after years of trouble free use. First off i have a VFRness installed. Turned the key on today and hit the starter button and pop, everything but the clock went dead. I've checked the battery (12.9V) and all the fuses i can locate and all are good. The only clue that may stand out to someone more knowledgeable than myself is that with the multimeter hooked up to the battery, the voltage drops to near zero (0.25) when i switch the key on, then returns to around 12.9 when switched off. What am i missing ? Thoughts ?? 

* Edit, i believe it's the battery. What i don't get is why it reads 12.9 and has been on a tender for the last month yet is still dead. 

• Member Contributer

By “pop”, did you actually hear a POP! sound?

Yup, most likely dead battery (should be 13.8v freshly off charger). Dead batteries don’t hold charge, regardless of how long they’re on charger. Imagine trying to fill water bucket with giant hole in bottom.

Verify by jumpstarting from auto battery (car off). Bike starts just fine?

1 hour ago, DannoXYZ said:

By “pop”, did you actually hear a POP! sound?

Yup, most likely dead battery (should be 13.8v freshly off charger). Dead batteries don’t hold charge, regardless of how long they’re on charger. Imagine trying to fill water bucket with giant hole in bottom.

Verify by jumpstarting from auto battery (car off). Bike starts just fine?

I did hear a pop, which made me think that it was fuse that went, but after checking every fuse and finding them all good, i'm now not sure what exactly the noise i heard was. I was able to get enough juice into the battery with a regular charger (not the tender) to get the dash lights to come on dimly, which clued me into the fact that it was the battery, which is out now. I didn't try to jump it, but i will throw the battery back in and give that a shot just to be certain. And thanks.

• Member Contributer

Just take your battery to the nearest auto parts store or battery supplier they can load test your battery for free. It's most likely your issue and its the weakest link.

Battery terminal voltage is not a true indication of battery capacity, Its ability to deliver plenty of cranking amps. 

16 hours ago, Grum said:

Just take your battery to the nearest auto parts store or battery supplier they can load test your battery for free. It's most likely your issue and its the weakest link.

Battery terminal voltage is not a true indication of battery capacity, Its ability to deliver plenty of cranking amps. 

It's most definitely the battery. Reinstalled the battery last night and jumped it off of an auto and it fired right up. Lesson learned that trickle chargers aren't the end all - be all. Battery on order. 

2 hours ago, Rossgazz said:

It's most definitely the battery. Reinstalled the battery last night and jumped it off of an auto and it fired right up. Lesson learned that trickle chargers aren't the end all - be all. Battery on order. 

Glad it was something simple.  Batteries aren't cheap, but I'd rather have to buy a new battery than spend hours or days chasing down an electrical gremlin.

Archived