Full exhaust system

Badger1

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Badger1 said:

As the temp starts to dip, I'm thinking of a winter project. Does anybody besides Delkevic make a full exhaust system for an 8gen?

• Member Contributer

Mello dude - thanks for the props and link.

Badger1, there’s a deep deep ocean of info in that header thread - probably too much.

I say that even though - or maybe because - I am co-culprit w VFRD member Duc2V4 on the whole header ride.

In a nutshell, the headers in the thread linked by mello dude make significant improvement to torque and horsepower, especially in the midrange 7000-10000rpm where we have the most fun on our VFRs. The headers make an even more dramatic improvement on the 8 gen than they do on 5 or 6 gens. The 8 gen benefits most because Honda specified new cams for the 8 gen that emphasize midrange torque, and the headers in the thread hammer that point home. 

VFRD member BiKenG put it best - horsepower determines top speed, while torque determines how quickly you get to that top speed.

If you or any other 8 gen owners have further questions, feel free to PM me or Duc2V4. Or post up here or on the header thread.

Here is a June 17 post from VFRD member Flya750 about his 8 gen with headers. Link to the page is below the quote and photo:

“Took my first 100 mile ride today on the Honda 8thGen Interceptor after the VFRD performance upgrades. Flawless. Zero issues. Magnificent. I'm just blown away about how much better this bike is now. I would say I have a 13-15% power increase and a power curve/VTEC transition that is magical. 😉  Top end power is super impressive and much improved. It is slightly louder, but not too bad.  The only modification I have left to do, and I was saving it for last, was the seat. The new custom seat will be the cherry on top 😉 This is my Dream bike. 😉 This 8G is NOT stock! Look MOM! No Utters! 😉

20200617_153830.jpg

• Member Contributer

The VFRD header and performance tune changed the game for my 8G. The bike is infinitely more fun to ride now. It wasn't cheap because I did everything top notch including going with SS brake lines which solves a clearance issue for the header. (Otherwise you have to make shift some heat protection around the stock rubber brake lines, which I didn't want to do) I also went with the ceramic coating which was $250 bucks. But looking back now, it was the best damn choice I've made in a decade. 

Here is a link to a video showing my header install

• Member Contributer

You lose about 15 lbs when you remove all the emissions stuff and with the cat removed. I also removed the ugly ass center stand and got Pit Bull stands for maintenance.

116343839_3546103068767124_2692970577776407796_n.jpg.4ed9220a21a0e7b6dfc191f008b3fdd9.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mello dude said:

I sooooo have to get a ride on an 8th gen.....

Would be great to do an A-B comparison, start with a stock ride and then one with the headers! I know that my 6 Gen with the OEM 98-99 cat-less feels better than the 09 OEM headers and I'm looking forward to seeing how it is with the replica headers. Yes, I still have not installed mine, there are several reasons but hopefully those reason will come to an end soon!

That being said, the difference they made with my 5 Gen was enough for me to grab another set for my 6 Gen.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mello dude said:

I sooooo have to get a ride on an 8th gen.....

Yeah you do! I was not ready to have my 5th gen mind changed, but when I rode a deluxe model 8 gen...

• Member Contributer
On 10/19/2020 at 2:55 AM, sfdownhill said:

Mello dude - thanks for the props and link.

Badger1, there’s a deep deep ocean of info in that header thread - probably too much.

I say that even though - or maybe because - I am co-culprit w VFRD member Duc2V4 on the whole header ride.

In a nutshell, the headers in the thread linked by mello dude make significant improvement to torque and horsepower, especially in the midrange 7000-10000rpm where we have the most fun on our VFRs. The headers make an even more dramatic improvement on the 8 gen than they do on 5 or 6 gens. The 8 gen benefits most because Honda specified new cams for the 8 gen that emphasize midrange torque, and the headers in the thread hammer that point home. 

VFRD member BiKenG put it best - horsepower determines top speed, while torque determines how quickly you get to that top speed.

If you or any other 8 gen owners have further questions, feel free to PM me or Duc2V4. Or post up here or on the header thread.

Here is a June 17 post from VFRD member Flya750 about his 8 gen with headers. Link to the page is below the quote and photo:

“Took my first 100 mile ride today on the Honda 8thGen Interceptor after the VFRD performance upgrades. Flawless. Zero issues. Magnificent. I'm just blown away about how much better this bike is now. I would say I have a 13-15% power increase and a power curve/VTEC transition that is magical. 😉  Top end power is super impressive and much improved. It is slightly louder, but not too bad.  The only modification I have left to do, and I was saving it for last, was the seat. The new custom seat will be the cherry on top 😉 This is my Dream bike. 😉 This 8G is NOT stock! Look MOM! No Utters! 😉

20200617_153830.jpg

Any chance of putting up the Dyno charts  for the headers please?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, fink said:

Any chance of putting up the Dyno charts  for the headers please

fink - later tonight, when back to my laptop, I’ll post the 8 gen before-and-after dyno sheets here so you won’t have to sift through the behemoth header thread to find them.

• Member Contributer

Here are two versions of the 8 gen dyno chart. The graphs were both generated on the same day, on the same dyno, by the same dyno tech. The professional VFRD crew did the exhaust swap in the Attack parking lot, and the dyno work was all done by Jozef at Attack Performance in Huntington Beach CA. Attack is the top race shop in California - they run the Attack Performance Yamaha factory superbike race team, with riders Cameron Beaubier [2020 MotoAmerica superbike champion] and Jake Gagne [2nd in the 2020 MotoAmercia superbike championship].

Each dyno chart has three graph lines:

- the bottom line is torque and horsepower with stock headers and no tuning

- the middle line is with the new headers installed but before any tuning had been done

- the top line is after the dyno tech tuned the Power Commander V to the new headers

*Side note - check out how the headers smoothed out the VTECH transition dip in the graph at 6500rpm.

This chart's vertical line ~ 10,250rpm shows improvement in peak torque and horsepower:

618622615_Attack8gencomparison042419.thumb.jpg.d704b266df439ed37bb3886aaa71b7de.jpg

This second chart has a vertical line at 7000rpm to delineate improvements in midrange. If you do the math, you'll see that at 7000rpm the tuned headers kicked the torque up over 15% [from 46.97 ft/lbs to 53.92 ft/lbs]. Horsepower also went up over 15% [from 62.11 hp to 71.90 hp]:

1051654852_Attack8genmidrange042419.thumb.jpg.b6309b8d4af5a75c213f96dd06df0e27.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

What is the effect on gas mileage?  

Not good...LOL! Especially when you're on the freeway doing 85+ 😉 It drinks the fuel...

Before the mod I could easily go 200+ miles on a tank full of fuel and that was really cool, but the 8G was just a bit of a dog from 90-120....after the mods, not anymore... 

I've still have yet to do a mileage check. I just don't trust the fuel economy readings from the dash gauge. According to the dash gauage, it reads that my mileage average hasn't changed much? But that can't be real? Of course, If you ride mild, it doesn't seem to be too bad, but when you get on it hard a lot, you'll see the fuel gauge level drop quick.

I bought the Dynojet AutoTuner and I have a micro switch that allows me to switch back to stock tuning vs the Attack performance tune, but honestly, I haven't used it yet for the reason I feel it's best for the engine to run optimal Air/Fuel ratio.

Thank you for the reply.  I can stretch a tank of gas for a bit over 250 miles if I have to, and sometimes I need every bit of it to make it to the next gas station on my long trips.  Looks like you have to give up quite a bit of range to get that extra power.  Glad you like it, but it would not be a good fit for me.

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, flya750 said:

Not good...LOL! Especially when you're on the freeway doing 85+ 😉 It drinks the fuel...

I've still have yet to do a mileage check. I just don't trust the fuel economy readings from the dash gauge. According to the dash gauage, it reads that my mileage average hasn't changed much? But that can't be real?

But that's easy to check.

For some reason, according to the dash gauge, my economy has improved significantly recently and I only fitted an end can. It's improved around 10% according to the gauge for the exact same commute and it's backed up by the amount of fuel I put in so actually, it seems the dash gauge is correct.

Such a shame these headers are in the US and not Europe. I'm sure they'd fit the Crossrunner.....same engine.

Brilliant work sfd/Duc.....kudos!  :beer:

• Member Contributer

Hey Skids - just saw the photo of your VFR1200 on your profile - beautiful motorbike!

On fuel economy, we don’t have it so bad w our VFRs, even with the headers and a fuel-generous tune. I just did a big airbox/velocity stack mod on my RVS4 and dropped in a race tuned map (w quick shift and autoblip - heheh)  - now the fuel warning light comes on around 70 miles into a full tank and I’d better pull in by 95 miles or I’ll be stranded trackside. ‘Course the tank is only 3.5 gallons, but still.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Thank you for the reply.  I can stretch a tank of gas for a bit over 250 miles if I have to, and sometimes I need every bit of it to make it to the next gas station on my long trips.  Looks like you have to give up quite a bit of range to get that extra power.  Glad you like it, but it would not be a good fit for me.

The power is so worth it though....Initially, I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize the amazing fuel economy the Japanese engineers whipped up in the 8G, but after have the performance mods now for one summer, the fuel economy is not a concern anymore. 

1 hour ago, flya750 said:

The power is so worth it though....Initially, I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize the amazing fuel economy the Japanese engineers whipped up in the 8G, but after have the performance mods now for one summer, the fuel economy is not a concern anymore. 

I ride 1100+ miles in a day, and several thousand miles on multi week trips.  Often to places where gas is unavailable.  No way could I take that kind of hit to mileage.  Glad you like it, but it is a no go for me.

• Member Contributer

^^^ 1100??? Holy xxxx! My butt goes dead at about 500.

Although, I have been accused of being a deadbutt before....

:biggrin:

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Sparkie said:

I ride 1100+ miles in a day, and several thousand miles on multi week trips.  Often to places where gas is unavailable.  No way could I take that kind of hit to mileage.  Glad you like it, but it is a no go for me.

Wow Sparkie - that’s an impressive number of miles. As detailed in his post above, Flya750 makes use of Power Commander’s map switching option - a simple handlebar-mounted switch changes between two fueling maps. In Flya750’s case he toggles at will between the stock fueling map and a performance-tuned map; between effiency and performance.

Badger1 below you can see a full system: WiLD headers (WiLD is a nickname donated by a VFRD member) and a high mount muffler. In this case, we used an existing Yoshimura canister, but cut it down a few inches shorter than it came from Yosh. Fitting a high mount onto the 8 gen requires removing the passenger footpegs and installing a custom support bracket from which to hang the pipe. Note: removing 8 gen passenger footpegs requires significant disassembly of the motorcycle’s hindquarters.

A1019891-50C7-4D60-A747-50301373B1D8.thumb.jpeg.05daf2b0e27ff066f2e1d271a9821422.jpegD6393C98-4FD7-450B-AA9C-F68BAB05DB72.thumb.jpeg.067238d4c8fdf6dd8bce371b38cbe1a4.jpeg104C8B30-036A-42FE-81A8-B7524CA423FB.thumb.jpeg.574caa09e4312f39edc72a6516a5f263.jpegC45E5B17-FA1C-4575-80E1-42C94E72EE23.thumb.jpeg.4bff41ed8bffaa7ddab437fef2a0b4f1.jpeg

Here is the 8 gen in the shop while the midpipe was under construction:

B68D3FC8-DA60-43B1-BC73-9EB1A037A762.thumb.jpeg.7de4692d93885d791759107cdb9e3abc.jpegADF05C1C-8D5B-4FE9-9881-D3EE1D7F63E5.thumb.jpeg.f0ace0e3140fcaa2ee815d1f731431b9.jpeg

A much simpler approach for the 8 gen is a full system with a 4” diameter muffler/canister located in the same position as the stock muffler. The full system’s muffler can be constructed of carbon fiber tube or aluminium, in a length selected by the purchaser. The VFR800 power plant prefers  a 16” long muffler, but some owners select shorter lengths for aesthetics reasons.

Archived