Ducati's expanding V4 lineup

• Member Contributer

As expected, Ducati has rolled out an 1158cc V4 for the next Multistada. The surprise is normal valve actuation--springs not desmo. Have to think that over the next year or two there will be a Ducati that looks and feels very much like the 8th gen VFR.

C'mon Honda!

101520-ducati-v4-granturismo-engine-f.jpg

• Member Contributer

That would be relevant to my interests.  Of course ten to fifteen years ago we thought Aprilia was going to pull it off, somewhere between the Tuono and RSV.  

Unrelated...I thought the original Multistrada defined "fugly bike" when it came out, with that stupid rotating handlebar and windscreen business.  I didn't understand the early adventure bike thing at the time either.  Now...kinda want a Honda Africa Twin with dual sport knobbies as my next bike if I stick with riding this time.  

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, ShipFixer said:

That would be relevant to my interests.  Of course ten to fifteen years ago we thought Aprilia was going to pull it off, somewhere between the Tuono and RSV.  

Unrelated...I thought the original Multistrada defined "fugly bike" when it came out, with that stupid rotating handlebar and windscreen business.  I didn't understand the early adventure bike thing at the time either.  Now...kinda want a Honda Africa Twin with dual sport knobbies as my next bike if I stick with riding this time.  

ShipFixer, couldn't agree with you more. The original Multistrada was one of the ugliest bikes of all time, with the breadbox fairing, and I continue to be embarrassed about all the criticism I hurled in its direction back then--not because it wasn't justified, just that I now own one.

• Member Contributer

Ha!  I didn't even see your bike list!  Your year Multistrada doesn't look that bad, I but for what I am thinking, I think the Honda looks more like a part-time off road machine.  

3 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

I looked at and briefly considered buying a used Tuono V4 a couple times, but the ergonomics just aren't livable for me for all-day rides and tours.  It's a great bike for twisties and bombing backroads, but it's just too sportbike-like for me.

• Member Contributer

I think Honda should rebadge the shaft 1200 Veefalo as the next 1200 ST and

then go back to the drawing board and engineer a 1000cc light weight V4 with a
gear driven cams... maintenance free belt drive... flip forks and radial calipers...

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Now...kinda want a Honda Africa Twin with dual sport knobbies as my next bike if I stick with riding this time.  

Hold off on that AT for a few, there might be a more worthy option...

https://advrider.com/honda-patent-shows-supercharged-africa-twin/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=10_14_2020

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Had not seen that, thanks Duc. Definitely has implications beyond the AT, particularly smaller displacement bikes. 

• Member Contributer

And...the new Multi V4 has 170hp, 95 ftlb torque or so, plus...37K mile valve check intervals. Sounds like the 2 rear cyl deactivate at idle to manage heat. Front and rear radar. To be continued...would love to see this in a Honda sport tourer, or even the Duc supersport.

Good video embedded in this article on the V4.

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2020/10/new-ducati-v4-granturismo-engine-ditching-desmo-to-achieve-60000-km-73000-mile-maintenance-intervals/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

New V4 is out, https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/home/ducati-world-premiere Dropped the sssw for conventional swingarm and 19" front wheel with 170 rear tire. Looks like they're going after the GS buyer in a big way. The S model with radar f&r starts about $25K, although the radar isn't enabled in the US because they haven't received approval yet from DOT, so that's a $950 dealer software add next summer when it becomes available.

Have to wonder who will spend $30K for a fully outfitted 170hp bike to drag it through the mud.

• Member Contributer
On 10/15/2020 at 8:29 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

I think Honda should rebadge the shaft 1200 Veefalo as the next 1200 ST and

then go back to the drawing board and engineer a 1000cc light weight V4 with a
gear driven cams... maintenance free belt drive... flip forks and radial calipers...

100% +1,000,000

Like Noel said, "Cmon Honda!"

Archived