Order of expenditure

Hey folks, my '93 VFR is in essentially good standard order, with around 35k miles on the clock. Aside from the paint job, everything else is (I think) pretty much how it was when she rolled off the production line. 

I'm looking to slowly (because money) make some upgrades in terms of both rideability, performance and cosmetics over the next year or two. Obviously there are many places I could spend cash  - new muffler or even full system, replacement shocks, replacement brake lines, and probably many other things I haven't thought of. 

As I said, money means that this will be a (very) slow drip project, and basic maintenance requirement needs will always trump everything, but I would be interested to hear how you guys would prioritize things - the temptation is to grab a new high level exhaust can from either Delkovic or SP Engineering in the UK for the ease, price and immediately obvious effect, but I'm trying to be sensible and seek advice from more experienced brains.

Also, on a side note - crash bungs/fairing sliders - can't seems to find any for 90-93 models, any suggestions? Winter is coming...

Thanks guys 🙂

Personally, I would make sure basic maintenance is covered first.  Fluids, brake pads, brake caliper rebuilds (if needed), chain/sprocket set, etc.  If your suspension is fine for you, other than flushing/replacing the fork fluid as part of routine maintenance, maybe then buy the aftermarket exhaust.  The sound of our bikes is part of the visceral experience.

Speaking only for myself, however, I would probably address suspension before the exhaust, because performance upgrades in suspension (depending on how you ride) can transform the handling of the bike so every ride is more rewarding.  But that's me.  Despite what I wrote above about the sound of a bike, I value handling more than exhaust note.  I wouldn't fault you for swapping out the exhaust first, but it wouldn't be the first thing I did.

6 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Suspension

Suspension

Suspension

Need I continue? :laugh:

Just to clarify, would you lean towards getting the suspension sorted first?

5 hours ago, TimC said:

Personally, I would make sure basic maintenance is covered first.  Fluids, brake pads, brake caliper rebuilds (if needed), chain/sprocket set, etc.  If your suspension is fine for you, other than flushing/replacing the fork fluid as part of routine maintenance, maybe then buy the aftermarket exhaust.  The sound of our bikes is part of the visceral experience.

Speaking only for myself, however, I would probably address suspension before the exhaust, because performance upgrades in suspension (depending on how you ride) can transform the handling of the bike so every ride is more rewarding.  But that's me.  Despite what I wrote above about the sound of a bike, I value handling more than exhaust note.  I wouldn't fault you for swapping out the exhaust first, but it wouldn't be the first thing I did.

Good advice - I know my rear caliper needs a rebuild at least, and all of those other things at least need to be checked, although the bike hasn't done too many miles since they were last sorted.

As you fine gents both strongly recommend sorting the suspension, do you have any recommendations for a budget conscious biker to look at? I agree with you both that I would rather the handling was improved more than the sound - the V4 engine is pretty magical without any help.

1 hour ago, moroseduck said:

As you fine gents both strongly recommend sorting the suspension, do you have any recommendations for a budget conscious biker to look at? I agree with you both that I would rather the handling was improved more than the sound - the V4 engine is pretty magical without any help.

Here in the US, many VFR owners have used a fellow VFRD member Jamie Daugherty's services for rear shocks.  Years ago I had him rebuild an OEM shock using a stiffer spring for my weight.  Up front I installed a set of Race Tech fork springs, again for my weight.

I don't know much about VFR suspensions really, and even less about earlier models, so I'm afraid I can't be much help.  I'm sure Dutchy knows way more than me, especially about prior gen VFRs.  🙂

Assuming the maintenance is not so bad- all fluids flushed, tires and chain in good condition then +1 on suspension for sure.

At least refresh fork oil and seals. 

Adding new straight rate springs and is super easy. Updating the shim stack is not super difficult either - see my restoration thread

I did all of that. I used 0.85 kg/mm because I had them with me and when I can, I'll go for 0.90 that should be more suited for the weight of the bike - I'm around 80kg in full gear, but Vivian - my VFR - is in the 240-250kg (damn she's heavy).

Here, we are talking about 200€ in material and again, this is not rocket science.

If you do that, then replace the rear shock or get it rebuild. When I can, I go for a Shock Factory one, this is very good quality and around 400€ so I guess there is nothing cheaper that is new and that quality.

Next, update the brakes. I completely rebuilt the front system but I kept the original brake pads. Not enough braking power for spirited riding. Still haven't chosen if I go for 4 pots VTR calipers or at least replace the pads with softer ones (CL A3+ or Brembo SA).

Forget about all the shiny and/or noisy bit, that's for kids 😉

• Member Contributer

Personally I would check the tires first, date code more than 5 years, cupping, uneven wear, sidewalls cracking, time for a new pair. Fairly inexpensive and the single best upgrade I can make on any bike as rubber has improved so much over the years. Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin, lots of choices for good rubber.

Check your suspension for sure, but don't bin it for some shiny bits that make lots of claims until you have refreshed it a bit. I'm 10 1/2 stone so, I'm close to UJR (Universal Japanese Rider) so I tend to have pretty good luck with the stock suspension by replacing fork seals/oil, checking sag and pre load. My rule of thumb is if I cannot outride the stock stuff then its a waste of money to upgrade. If you are say, 16 stone and ride with a pillion or lots of gear you may need to improve your suspension. If you think you do need suspension help, TimC's mention of Jamie Daugherty is exactly on target, that's where I would go first.

Have a look at your brakes, one pad thinner that the other? Your sliders are, well not letting the pads slide. Time for a caliper rebuild, and I can almost always reuse the seals once, so the only expense is pads, fluid, cleaner , grease. Having a small Ultrasonic or access to one would be a bonus. FWIW I prefer Carbon/Kevlar, not as much bite as metallic or ceramic but a more predictable feel.

I cannot agree with bdouvill enough, forget the shiny bits, I have passed plenty of Ohlins sporting, steering dampened, bling covered VFR's over the years with my basically stock setup. To be brutally honest I have been passed by Ohlins sporting, steering dampened, bling covered VFR's, who could have swapped bikes with me mid corner and still embarrassed me. Be honest with yourself and know where your riding limit is and spend accordingly.

Right, Sliders, I built my own for my 4th Gen as I did not want to put holes in my plastics. I'll post a pic here and if you are interested will follow up.

DSCF3429.JPG

• Member Contributer

Regarding suspension you need to be clear about what you want out of the bike.  I had mine done by Jamie, and it transformed the handling to a much more planted, stable platform that gives me more confidence in corners.  On the other hand . . . toward that goal the progressive fork springs were removed and linear springs tuned for my weight installed.  The result is a rougher ride - you feel expansion joints, rail tracks and other irregularities more and a really rough road can be jarring.  It did take some getting used to.  I suspect that 3rd gen forks have similar characteristics to 4th gens - my 4th gen was undersprung for my 190 pounds and wallowed in corners if pushed moderately hard.  If it's cruising you desire, you don't hit the corners hard and desire a compliant ride, a refreshed stock setup should be fine.  If you want the bike to be more responsive and tuned to your every thought (it seems like my 6th gen reads my mind now), then a complete suspension re-work will will transform your riding experience.   I have no regrets and would do it again in a minute - it just took time to mentally adjust to it.  YMMV

Archived