Engine swap/replacement on my 1998 VFR800 (bad engine, curious on any tips and tricks)

VicSev93

I would also like to amend something, I just noticed this and I think is the source of my confusion. I am not sure why @VicSev93 said the bike does not rev above 2k RPM. I have taken this bike on rides around the block, and the bike is great. Its definitely not at full power but it runs and revs freely. The bike dies when it drops to idle after a few minutes of running. However after starting the bike again, it continues to run for a bit. The issue is at idle, not at higher RPMs.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
6 hours ago, ADrunkRussian said:

I would also like to amend something, I just noticed this and I think is the source of my confusion. I am not sure why @VicSev93 said the bike does not rev above 2k RPM. I have taken this bike on rides around the block, and the bike is great. Its definitely not at full power but it runs and revs freely. The bike dies when it drops to idle after a few minutes of running. However after starting the bike again, it continues to run for a bit. The issue is at idle, not at higher RPMs.

Well that does throw a different light on the subject.

I wonder wether the bad compression numbers have greatly upset the Starter Valve  synch. Getting this right and setting the warm idle speed might well be worth doing.

Check out the info in this link for Starter Valve Synching.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Grum said:

I wonder wether the bad compression numbers have greatly upset the Starter Valve  synch. Getting this right and setting the warm idle speed might well be worth doing.

I was just going to suggest trying to bump up the idle speed.

What is the current idle speed before it dies? If I remember correctly, it should be around 1200-1300 when warmed up.

2 hours ago, Grum said:

Check out the info in this link for Starter Valve Synching.

I will take a look at this

@paulmeisterpk: It idles around 1700-2000 RPM and then dies after a few minutes. However, I am waiting for new air box screws to actually be able to close this up and let it run with proper manifold pressure. I have a lot of valve cover breather blowby, sort of oily vapor getting blown into the airbox. I will remove that hose from the airbox, close up the port in the airbox and see how it idles once the airbox is on. I think that might be part of the problem. It might just be getting into the combustion chamber and ruining the A/F mixture.

• Member Contributer

Actually, you may also have fuel-pump related issues. There’s test in manual for fuel-pump flow rate and pressure. Also FPR and vacuum hose. Measure fuel-pressure in rail while engine’s running with vacuum hose connected and disconnected.

• Member Contributer

Did anyone else find it odd that it kept revving at 2k+ even when the fast idle lever was turned all the way down and it was only just a little over 100°F? mine will idle at less than 1k if I do that.

With it instantly shutting off like that, I think a fuel pressure check would be good too.

• 4 weeks later...

We're back! This time with an autopsy.

I spent the last few days diagnosing every electrical issue known to mankind in this bike, as well as pumps, injectors, airbox issues, sensors and grounds. I found nothing that stuck out at me. Everything checked out on voltage, resistance, continuity and was right where it needed to be. Once my bud left, and my other one came with the beer, we decided to pull the head to make sure we order the right parts for the engine.

Everything checked out on this bike, except the engine. I'd rather replace the engine and then look for some silly wiring issue if there is one than continue guessing whether or not the issue is the engine + some electrical thing. We know there's an issue, we will fix the engine than continue diagnostics. I have no reason to suspect electronics in this bike to be a problem, and I will continue not to until proven otherwise. I should have pulled the engine as I wanted to back in October.

photo_2020-11-24_13-05-07.thumb.jpg.a6aed54723b4c4bf7b1eb64a4a598241.jpg

Other than the compression tester tube that decided to cement itself inside of the spark plug hole, anyone see an issue? That junk in the bottom right corner is ferrous metal, this is about the time that I started having a very very bad feeling about what I was going to see inside this engine.

Lo and behold photo_2020-11-24_13-04-57.thumb.jpg.088828bc7de989f82bb29bcac7f6539b.jpg

photo_2020-11-24_13-00-02.thumb.jpg.0094535d6f995ec04d9aa905ea6c2ce1.jpgphoto_2020-11-24_13-00-00.thumb.jpg.18b8265de7158e1f99ad3f00aa64e974.jpg

We got some roasted cylinders in here. On a side note, if anyone has an engine for a 98' please PM me, I'm in the NE, NYC to be exact

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, ADrunkRussian said:

We're back! This time with an autopsy.

I spent the last few days diagnosing every electrical issue known to mankind in this bike, as well as pumps, injectors, airbox issues, sensors and grounds. I found nothing that stuck out at me. Everything checked out on voltage, resistance, continuity and was right where it needed to be. Once my bud left, and my other one came with the beer, we decided to pull the head to make sure we order the right parts for the engine.

Everything checked out on this bike, except the engine. I'd rather replace the engine and then look for some silly wiring issue if there is one than continue guessing whether or not the issue is the engine + some electrical thing. We know there's an issue, we will fix the engine than continue diagnostics. I have no reason to suspect electronics in this bike to be a problem, and I will continue not to until proven otherwise. I should have pulled the engine as I wanted to back in October.

photo_2020-11-24_13-05-07.thumb.jpg.a6aed54723b4c4bf7b1eb64a4a598241.jpg

Other than the compression tester tube that decided to cement itself inside of the spark plug hole, anyone see an issue? That junk in the bottom right corner is ferrous metal, this is about the time that I started having a very very bad feeling about what I was going to see inside this engine.

Lo and behold photo_2020-11-24_13-04-57.thumb.jpg.088828bc7de989f82bb29bcac7f6539b.jpg

photo_2020-11-24_13-00-02.thumb.jpg.0094535d6f995ec04d9aa905ea6c2ce1.jpgphoto_2020-11-24_13-00-00.thumb.jpg.18b8265de7158e1f99ad3f00aa64e974.jpg

We got some roasted cylinders in here. On a side note, if anyone has an engine for a 98' please PM me, I'm in the NE, NYC to be exact

That's a goner, for sure.  :ohmy:  Looks like water in the cylinder in one of those photos.  I doubt that could be re-built - the cylinder wall damage looks too severe.    Keep us posted. 

Not mine, but this might be a possibility. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400919222503

Seller says there's a video, but it's not apparent in the listing.   Could probably call them and ask how many miles the bike had on it when they broke it.  Looks like a good price on it. 

Regarding shipping, it can be a dilemma of how to arrange to pick it up, as most freight carriers only want to deliver to a business, and they state that you have to get the item off their truck.  I did though, learn that UPS will hold your shipment at one of their freight terminals.  Then when you arrive they will use a forklift to place it in the back of your pickup or trailer at no extra charge -  that's how I've gotten my freight shipments.  If you don't pick up within a few days, they will charge storage on the item - and it's a high enough $ amount that you will be very incented to pick it up. 

Another thing about UPS freight is that it's a whole different operation than UPS for consumer and parcel deliveries.  When I went to the nearby UPS parcel delivery operation they didn't know a thing about UPS freight - even where the local terminal is located or how to contact them - I might as well have been asking about Fedex - it was weird.  Anyway - some diligent calling and on-line research located it and I just drove out to it and spoke to them to be sure I knew what they were willing to do and get the direct phone number to the location. Once I had it down it worked like a charm. 

Thanks, Yeah, I'm just going to have to grab it from the truck. I have a garage I can get this delivered to. I ordered one, allegedly it runs and has no issues with a 30 day money back guarantee. So we shall see

• 3 weeks later...

It went pretty great! Aside for some typical bullshit issues. I broke a TP sensor after removing the throttle bodies again because I accidentally pulled off the MAP vacuum hose and had to put it back on. So that was making the engine run like shit a bit. Classic signs of TP sensor damage. Was missing an exhaust stud, so I had to pull one from the old engine block, that was a fun process. OH and my garage had someone test positive for 'rona, so I had to to this entire process alone to avoid contact with the others.

photo_2020-12-16_20-22-38.thumb.jpg.66bdc9f36c0f86162b136490cd9163f4.jpg

photo_2020-12-16_20-18-46.thumb.jpg.c1c7f62689d262d46ac36c4056a5eb06.jpgphoto_2020-12-16_20-18-45.thumb.jpg.a722262ae26256a79a611e429701afdf.jpgphoto_2020-12-16_20-18-44.thumb.jpg.de451604c519a8f71a55de6f8c986b54.jpgphoto_2020-12-16_20-18-47.thumb.jpg.e40ba24d7c3770ba8cdbc1f55bf982b3.jpg

Forgot to post a video!, I did not have the R/R hooked up yet, but the bike ran, and didn't die other than when the throttle was closed quickly (TP sensor again lmao) I managed to take it on a 20 minute ride, and it didn't kill me (After the R/R was hooked up of course

https://streamable.com/4lwya1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Man its been a while. I decided to post on here again because today is the 8 month anniversary of buying this motorcycle. and how far we've come. Today was the first real shakedown ride.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:45 AM, paulmeisterpk said:

Did you find a replacement TPS? If I remember correctly, I didn't think they were available.

Yes I did. Ebay 🙂 I did not find a good way to adjust it, however we got it close enough for me to be happy.

Today was the maiden voyage, and we ripped it. After spending the last 5 months diagnosing all sorts of electrical gremlins, and learning to weld better so I can fix the swiss cheese that was this exhaust. The bike runs, and runs well. Other than some lean popping on hard decels that I believe can be attributed to the TPS sensor not being perfectly aligned. I am truly happy to not be in possession of this motorcycle for the first time in 8 months. The owner @VicSev93 has taken possession and will be giving it a thorough shakedown for 200 miles. which is when I will get it back to make sure its not going to kill anyone.

This motorcycle wanted to die and tried its best. We brought it back from the dead. Had me and Vic not picked up this bike, it would not be on the road and would have ended up in a junkyard. I honestly cannot believe that its running as well as it is. Now we have a list of aesthetic things to fix, but the major mechanical issues are gone thankfully.

176322509_504899974207509_7973107708539271870_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a lucky bike, indeed.  Looks good with its younger brother next to it.  Looks like a mirror is still in them mix - it will get there. 

Archived