Anyone mounted a Stebel Nautilus on a Gen6?

sorenlaf

Hi Everyone,

Been trying to fit a Stebel Nautilus to my G6 800A and not getting any traction.

Long story short, meaning I'll omit all the failures, the most promising solution I can find is to remove the hose connecting the two radiators, replace it with one slightly longer, so that it will bow out a little more, and that should give me just enough room to tuck the horn up high enough that it won't get crunched if the forks bottom out.

So, has anyone here successfully mounted a Stebel Nautilus to a G6 800A, and if so, where did you put it?

I'm fine fabbing a bracket, but if that's necessary, just let me know about where it attaches.

Thanks!

--Soren

p.s. I know I need a relay to avoid burning the horn switch.

• Member Contributer

On my (granted, VF500F2) bike I placed it in the belly pan, in between the headers. It is a lookalike Stebel, but I had zero issues so far (25,000km+). Riding in sun and rain alike. I wrapped the carefully routed wiring in self-vulcanising rubber tape for good measure.

Tried various bracket bits till I was happy enough,  bent things a bit and used one of the starter motor bolt holes

post-8974-0-61125800-1444121336.jpg.c3060499828021cdedf0f1a9618f2043.jpg

IMG-20200323-WA0014.thumb.jpeg.d94becf57aab518cad78f5ffd3e2a39c.jpeg.66467a86430b671df7d1bb8db66b021d.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle horns in good working order have a distinctive sound
all there own... when people here that little beep beep... they have
been trained over the years to think motorcycle... but if you replace
the beep beep with a car... truck or train horn... guess what???
confused people will charge right into your path thinking a car... truck
or train has blown it's horn for them to get out their way... It's only
natural for cagers to equate sounds to the first thing that pops into
their heads in a panic situation...
Like when you hear beep beep you think Road Runner... not Wiley E
Coyote...

4 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Motorcycle horns in good working order have a distinctive sound
all there own... when people here that little beep beep... they have
been trained over the years to think motorcycle... but if you replace
the beep beep with a car... truck or train horn... guess what???
confused people will charge right into your path thinking a car... truck
or train has blown it's horn for them to get out their way... It's only
natural for cagers to equate sounds to the first thing that pops into
their heads in a panic situation...
Like when you hear beep beep you think Road Runner... not Wiley E
Coyote...

There are two sides to that one.  And two components to the other side.

Component 1) About 40 years ago, I was riding out CA 205 from the bay area to Manteca.  Two lanes.  I'm in the right lane.  A car is pacing me a few car length back in the left lane.  After about 5 miles of this, the driver pulls ahead of me, then drops back next to me, then starts to change lanes.  I was riding my '74 R75/6.  The one with the air horn.  Compressor the size of a beer can.  Two trumpets larger than the compressor 

I hit the horn, and the driver was back in her lane faster than anything I'd ever seen before.  You see, she thought she'd cut of a big rig, and that was a lot more motivation to shape up and fly right than "just" cutting off a motorcycle.

Component 2) A lot of drivers either can't hear a motorcycle horn, or simply don't care.

Summary:

Based on my experience, I WANT them to think I'm a rig.  I honk because they are ALREADY heading toward me, so their most likely instinctive reaction will be to go the other way - would you really start to change lanes, think you're fouling a rig or train by the lane change, and KEEP changing lanes?  Sorry, but I absolutely do not agree with you assessment of the situation.  Both intellectually, and by decades of experience riding in traffic.

Motorcycle horns are far to quiet.  The horn on your bike needs to be loud, and it needs in cause either a major pucker or a hershey squirt.  I'm not a fan of loud pipes, but I am absolutely a fan of loud horns.

Hey Dutchy!

Thanks!  Near the headers is one of the places I've considered.  I was concerned that I'd be in danger of melting the plastic.  About how far from the pipes were you able to mount the horn?  I don't have a lot of room between the lower center bodywork bit and the pipes.  I'd be in the 30mm +/- range.  At most.

• Member Contributer

Sorenlaf,

Is your 6 Gen an ABS version? If not a lot of people have fitted them in the left hand fairing area where it meets the nose cone. I have been wanting to fit one as well but that space is taken up by my Davis Craig electronic fan controller for the cooling system. As you say there is little room near the headers due to heat but also due to the front suspension movement.

• Member Contributer

Although not the full size Stebel, I put a Sound Bomb Mini inside the left had side fairing where Marooncobra mentioned. I used an aluminum bar and bolted it to the fairing sub frame.  Here are some pics.

The specs for the Sound Bomb Mini...

286923298_DenaliSoundbombMiniHorn_01.thumb.JPG.206576d761b02050aaa965b9407dad9d.JPG

Size comparison with a GoPro Hero 2

723580893_DenaliSoundbombMiniHorn_04.thumb.JPG.d0fa9ad6f5cba6547194897eb223b984.JPG

The Aluminum bar mounting location and final results

66628685_DenaliSoundbombMiniHorn_05.thumb.JPG.aa46a1154ed755dedc4198067c269c99.JPG

233111197_DenaliSoundbombMiniHorn_06.thumb.JPG.65f85f9d83ee54db427ce13436edda5f.JPG

22309445_DenaliSoundbombMiniHorn_10.thumb.JPG.4bb4394f2e636cc008bc61640cbcc590.JPG

574272533_DenaliSoundbombMiniHorn_11.thumb.JPG.c30d54528f5379f2cef8a5a147cc15ce.JPG

• Member Contributer

@Duc2V4, how do you like that Denali, I was thinking of getting one. I'd like a horn that sounds like a mid 70's Cadillac, my reference for a horn that gets peoples attention in primal fear kind of way.

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, Dangeruss said:

@Duc2V4, how do you like that Denali, I was thinking of getting one. I'd like a horn that sounds like a mid 70's Cadillac, my reference for a horn that gets peoples attention in primal fear kind of way.

It works really well IMO, although being behind the fairing does muffle it a little bit but it's definitely louder than the OEM horn, it has caught the attention of a few motorist though. I thought about relocating it in a more open area but in all honesty I don't use it all that much, only in the rarest situations that calls for it and/or an evasive action. The size of it definitely makes it easier to find a possible mounting location.