What would you buy?

doubled

• Member Contributer

I've been away from the forum for a while as I sold my beloved 06 White VFR a few years ago.  I've decided to get back in the game and this time go 5th gen. I'm looking at a few options and wondering what the cognoscenti here would do.  Both bikes are offered at that same price by mature honest owners:

1.  1999 VFR, cosmetically excellent, 95,000 miles.  Upgraded front and rear suspension, 1 owner and complete, up-to-date maintenance records, including valve clearance inspections.

vs

2.  2000 VFR, cosmetically excellent, 35,000 miles.  No maintenance records or knowledge of historical maintenance.  Hydraulic fluids, coolant not changed in 8 years. 8 year old tires with almost no mileage on them, needs new chain and sprockets, maybe new battery, maybe new steering head bearings and battery.  I know I would have to put at least $1500 plus my time into this bike.

I don't know if there is a "right answer";  I'm having trouble getting over the idea of such high mileage, in particular for future resale.  Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Personally I favor the '99 vs the 2000 (I am biased) for a few reasons other than the mileage:
1.  No catalytic converter

2.  No wax unit (manual fast idle control)

3.  My personal bias is toward the red vs yellow

4.  One downside is that the '99 has mild steel headers - if desired that can be changed with the group buy on custom headers here - search the forums

5.  Another are the condom mirrors - easily changed out for Y2K mirrors tho.

If maintained, there's no reason the '99 engine can't go 200,000 miles - or more.  Common wear items would be suspension, but that's covered, steering head bearings (mentioned re: the Y2K)  and  wheel bearings front and rear (especially if it's seen a lot of rain), and maybe the fuel pump.  Brake rotors can also become below spec'd thickness - worth checking.  The lack of hydraulic maintenance on the Y2K might be concerning.  There was a thread on here about a year ago with an owner tearing his hair out over the rear brake not releasing due to the secondary master cylinder not bleeding off the pressure due to clogging from bad fluid.  Sounds like the P.O. has that covered on the '99, on the '00 not so much.  I'd also want to know what, if anything has been done on the charging system - if either has an OEM R/R (even if replaced) personally I'd figure an 847 replacement in to the budget (and maybe a stator on the '99 if not done already).   On the Y2K I'd look inside the fuel tank for signs of rust - that can up the ante on repairs if the gas has gone to crap or there's been condensation in there. 

Other than that - the '99 is probably going to have more cosmetic chips, dings, rub marks and other signs of lots of use, but you don't see that when you're riding.  For me the '99 was the apex of the lineage - before more things like a cat were added.   I'm presuming that either is priced in the $3,500 range +/-.  As far as resale goes, by the time you get around to that, these bikes will likely be heading to the smelter and if you ride it 5 years and put some good mileage on it, you've gotten a good bang for your buck no matter what you could sell it for.  Just my $.02.  YMMV

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, doubled said:

I've been away from the forum for a while as I sold my beloved 06 White VFR a few years ago.  I've decided to get back in the game and this time go 5th gen. I'm looking at a few options and wondering what the cognoscenti here would do.  Both bikes are offered at that same price by mature honest owners:

1.  1999 VFR, cosmetically excellent, 95,000 miles.  Upgraded front and rear suspension, 1 owner and complete, up-to-date maintenance records, including valve clearance inspections.

vs

2.  2000 VFR, cosmetically excellent, 35,000 miles.  No maintenance records or knowledge of historical maintenance.  Hydraulic fluids, coolant not changed in 8 years. 8 year old tires with almost no mileage on them, needs new chain and sprockets, maybe new battery, maybe new steering head bearings and battery.  I know I would have to put at least $1500 plus my time into this bike.

I don't know if there is a "right answer";  I'm having trouble getting over the idea of such high mileage, in particular for future resale.  Thoughts?

Hi Doubled.

I understand your quandary!

You don't mention the price difference between the two, but based on what you've mentioned I'd go the 1999. A bike that has be well cared for and single owner with evidence of all proper maintenance carried out, to me, is a far better buy than a bike that's only a year younger even with a lot less mileage, the 2000 does not sound like a bike well presented for sale, 8 years of no hydraulic fluid replacement is indicative of VERY poor maintenance.

Also resale value is not really a valid criteria for why you want a VFR. IMHO!

Appearance, price difference, the way it rides and how much you're prepared to spend on either bike to make it ship shape also comes into the equation. Agree with everything Cogswell has also mentioned.

Good Luck.

• Member Contributer

Great insights fellas, thanks.  

The high mileage ‘99 is being offered for $2400 and the low mileage ‘00 is $2700.

BTW - the ‘99 has never required a change of valve shims!

• Member Contributer

Hello Cock!!!

Future resale on a 2k expenditure now? donot worry; even if it is zero, you'd have had tons of fun....

New tires and the cost/effort to clear out 8 year old hydraulics (the brakes are the linked variety no?) will easily eliminate the diffeence in asking price.

Winter is coming so prices can only drop.

Come to the Netherlands again and i'll furnish a bike for you.

I can somewhat relate to your quandary Doubled.
I recently let my heart rule my head (I seem to do this often 😕) and purchased a 2001 model with just 13,000klms on the clock.

No proof of service etc. other than the seller's words.  The bike is still a good buy, but not worth the seller's asking price (I did talk him down some).

I find enjoyment in fixing other folk's lack of mechanical knowledge or enthusiasm but it's to my cost!  Oh well, at nearly 71 it's not a big deal anymore.

My advice would be to take the higher mileage, genuinely serviced offering.   As someone earlier has said, these bikes will go for a long long time if maintenance is done!

Good luck in your choice mate! 🙂 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, doubled said:

vs

The answer is all personal taste, for me ...it's keep searching. The "right" bike will come up......

If I were to buy either bike, I would be looking at tires and full fluid service. With that, it would come down to which bike speaks to you more because you are going to invest time and money into it that you won't get back. Enjoy the process whichever way you go.

Having just turned 100,000 miles on my 6th gen. in late August, I can tell you the engine is the least of my worries.  It will run for many more years and miles.  There are several routine maintenance items due on my VFR, but otherwise it's in great running condition.

Knowing VFRs will run forever and that the 1999 bike has likely been better maintained, plus it has suspension upgrades already, I would definitely take the one-year older/higher mileage bike.  It's ready to ride now and won't take time and money to make it right like the other bike.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Hello Cock!!!

New tires and the cost/effort to clear out 8 year old hydraulics (the brakes are the linked variety no?) will easily eliminate the diffeence in asking price.

Dutchy! I was hoping you would see my post. Pre COVID my wife and I were planning to return to The Netherlands but of course that fell apart.  Would have been great to see you.

• Member Contributer
Just now, doubled said:

Hello Cock!!!

Dutchy ! I was hoping you would see my post. My wife and I had planned a trip to The Netherlands pre-Covid but of course that all fell apart. Would’ve been great to see you.

• Member Contributer

Sorry for the double post.  Excellent feedback and much appreciated.  I’m looking forward to watching this forum again.  Now, if I can only get someone to buy that ST....

Archived