Front wheel spacers

VideoGuy

Just had tires changed by a local shop on my 8th gen. Noticed the left side spacer on the front has a small gap between it and the fork leg while the right side doesn't. Is this normal and acceptable? Did the re-alignment drill, but it had no effect on the gap.

left side1.jpg

Right side1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'll pile onto this...anyone have photos confirming which spacer goes on which side, and which way for 6th and 8th gen?  Manual and parts photos aren't super clear, gonna go re-install my front fender today and want to confirm.

• Member Contributer

Check that they have fitted tire and wheel for correct Direction Of Rotation. See picture. On the right side of the wheel on the first spoke forward of the valve stem and looking down through the disc rotor there is an arrow, this arrow must match the DOR arrow of the tire. You may have a tire that is installed the wrong DOR, its happened before.

See also left side spacer.

20201011_083219.jpg

20201011_084800.jpg

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

I'll pile onto this...anyone have photos confirming which spacer goes on which side, and which way for 6th and 8th gen?  Manual and parts photos aren't super clear, gonna go re-install my front fender today and want to confirm.

6gen spacers are Long to the Right, Short to the Left.

IMG_0945.PNG

Grum is right again. Checked parts fiches, the 8th gen uses identical spacers left and right, got confused by 6th gen. Checked direction of wheel and tire, both are correct. Re-did everything, axle, torquing, bouncing forks, still the same space on left. When I blow up photo from Grum and compare it to mine, the gap is almost identical, so I'll have to say all is well!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Thanks again!  And orientation does not matter, right?

Probably not but I've always put them back same the orientation noted by the bearing seal marking on the collar. I make sure its clean add a bit of oil on the collar and slide it into the bearing seal.

Not doing this might damage the bearing seal by placing the other end in which might have been scratched or marked in some way by a stone etc. Always a good policy - it goes back in the way it came out.

Archived