I am baffled by this noise when the bike is turned on!

BlackBear

As per the title, I have no clue how to describe this noise but it is happening after the bike is done cycling through everything... It may sound like a fuel pump, but I am not too sure... If anyone can give me pointers, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

• Member Contributer

Think it might be to do with the Throttle by Wire system. Does your bike actually run? Are you referring to the strange squeal happening at the end? If your bike is running well I think its normal. I'm sure this has come up before in the 7th gen forum.

• Member Contributer

That's normal.

I think it's the fuel pump, but somebody will be on soon who can correct me.

8 minutes ago, Grum said:

Think it might be to do with the Throttle by wire system. Does your bike actually run?

Yes the motorcycle still runs fine, I just bought this VFR DCT, I took it throughout San Diego, and the bike doesn't act abnormally (as far as I can tell). Yeah, I guess it does sound a bit like a squeal, is that normal? 

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, BlackBear said:

Yes the motorcycle still runs fine, I just bought this VFR DCT, I took it throughout San Diego, and the bike doesn't act abnormally (as far as I can tell). Yeah, I guess it does sound a bit like a squeal, is that normal? 

I dont have a 7th gen but I think this is normal and to do with the TBW system. I'm sure the 7gen owners will chime in and advise.

Enjoy your ride.

Shortly after purchasing my 2012, I noticed that squealing noise too.
There is the usual sound of the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rails, in the second immediately after switching on the ignition.  But, then after the fuel pump is done doing it's thing, there's a persistent & continuous squealing sound cycling over & over.  And it seems to vary slightly when you twist the throttle grip, right?
I went looking for the source with a stethoscope.
As others have noted already, the squealing sound is ultimately due to normal functioning of the TBW system.
On mine, I found it to be the stepper motor that controls the opening of the butterfly valves.

The stepper motor is located on the right-front of the throttle body assembly (from a seated rider's perspective).
The ECM is continuously making minor adjustments to the butterfly valve opening angle, based on the position of the throttle position sensor.
See the stepper motor annotated in the attached image.

ThrottleBodyAssembly-StepperMotor.jpg

On 10/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, HispanicSlammer said:

Its normal, mine does it too.  Pressure regulation of the fuel pump.

23 hours ago, pdfruth said:

Shortly after purchasing my 2012, I noticed that squealing noise too.
There is the usual sound of the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rails, in the second immediately after switching on the ignition.  But, then after the fuel pump is done doing it's thing, there's a persistent & continuous squealing sound cycling over & over.  And it seems to vary slightly when you twist the throttle grip, right?
I went looking for the source with a stethoscope.
As others have noted already, the squealing sound is ultimately due to normal functioning of the TBW system.
On mine, I found it to be the stepper motor that controls the opening of the butterfly valves.

The stepper motor is located on the right-front of the throttle body assembly (from a seated rider's perspective).
The ECM is continuously making minor adjustments to the butterfly valve opening angle, based on the position of the throttle position sensor.
See the stepper motor annotated in the attached image.

ThrottleBodyAssembly-StepperMotor.jpg

Thank you so much for giving me peace of mind that I did not purchase a vehicle that has a problem. Now I can sleep peacefully knowing what that noise is 😅

Archived