'98 VFR LSL Bar Install & Throttle Tamer

ragintxn03

Question

Howdy all - quick question for the community. So I installed the Hurricane bar conversion, and got the ST throttle cables for the install. I also decided, while I have it pulled apart, to put a throttle tamer on the bike as I'm going for a much more touring/sport rather than sport/touring on my last VFR. So after the install - I tested the new throttle tube, and it doesn't open the valves fully. Just wanted to check if 1) is this normal (even with the OE tube?); 2) if it's not, is this a known issue with a throttle tamer? 3) if this is normal from a throttle tamer - has anyone found it to be limiting in their riding?

IMG_20200926_191330 (400) notes.jpg

IMG_20200926_191349 (400) notes.jpg

IMG_20200926_191402 (400) notes.jpg

IMG_20200926_191407 (400) notes.jpg

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I assume you got the throttle tube from G2 Ego? I am interested in this because I wouldn't mind losing some of the off-idle sensitivity. Since you changed cables and the throttle tube I think you need to figure out what is limiting travel. In the picture where you are lifting the throttle to the stop the cable looks like it is going slack in the pulley. If you try opening the throttle further while doing this will it go? With some of G2's cams you have to relieve the inside of the throttle housing for clearance. It seems odd that the return cable would let it go further though, unless you have a lot of slack in it.

18 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

I assume you got the throttle tube from G2 Ego? I am interested in this because I wouldn't mind losing some of the off-idle sensitivity. Since you changed cables and the throttle tube I think you need to figure out what is limiting travel. In the picture where you are lifting the throttle to the stop the cable looks like it is going slack in the pulley. If you try opening the throttle further while doing this will it go? With some of G2's cams you have to relieve the inside of the throttle housing for clearance. It seems odd that the return cable would let it go further though, unless you have a lot of slack in it.

I did get the G2 throttle tamer. The cable does have slack when I open it manually fully on the pulling (top) cable - the throttle itself does not move more when I open the throttle fully manually. I can open throttle to where it stops, and then still move it more manually, but the throttle tube does not move more. 

The cables themselves are not tight per-say when the throttle is closed either, but you can't remove them unless you pull the bracket off near the throttle body itself. These are the cables that I replaced the OE cables with:

17910-MT3-000 - CABLE A, THROTTLE      
17920-MT3-000 - CABLE B, THROTTLE

As far as I understand the throttle tamer, it's elliptical to give you the slower initial pull, right? - so are you saying there isn't enough relief in the housing to open all the way? It feels like it comes to a full twist stop, rather than slow smash into the plastic housing, but maybe I do need to do some kind of relief?

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking that it probably has lower initial ratio up to stock ratio at the other end, so it will require more rotation to get full throttle. It might hit the inside of the housing before this happens. They could have made it higher ratio than stock at full throttle to keep the same rotation but then the OD might have been too big. Try loosening the throttle housing screws and see if that gives more rotation. Once you figure out what part of it is making contact you might be able to file a bit off the cam to get it to go the rest of the way. I assume you still have the stock one around, compare them for obvious areas where the G2 is bigger.

20 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

[...] Try loosening the throttle housing screws and see if that gives more rotation. Once you figure out what part of it is making contact you might be able to file a bit off the cam to get it to go the rest of the way. I assume you still have the stock one around, compare them for obvious areas where the G2 is bigger.

I'll have to try that for sure. 

Yes, I still have the stock one for comparison as well. Will post my findings in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Archived